• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 1....it seems she will always be out of reach

82 posts in this topic

When I first started collecting golden age as a college student, I always wanted an Action 1 (like everyone else). But it was simply out of reach. I remember seeing low grade copies in the $30-$50k range but could do nothing but admire.

Today when my budget is bigger, the prices of Action 1 have also shot up with even restored examples bringing 6 digits. So for me, it seems the book will always be out of reach. Kind of sad.

Ankur :)

I first started collecting in the 1980s with paper route money. With my first katy Keene Overstreet guide in 1984 I checked the highest priced comic and it was Action 1 for $14,000.

That was out of reach then and it has been ever since.

I used think that about most of the keys in my collection.

I know that we are talking the key of all keys here but you have still gotta have hope man. :wishluck:

I respect your optimism, but I've got no illusions on this one. If I could afford an Action 1, which I can't, I still wouldn't spend the required amount of money on the book. It's outpriced itself, as far as I'm concerned.

I used think that about most of the keys in my collection.

I know that we are talking the key of all keys here but you have still gotta have hope man. :wishluck:

I respect your optimism, but I've got no illusions on this one. If I could afford an Action 1, which I can't, I still wouldn't spend the required amount of money on the book. It's outpriced itself, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%

but the difference is a lottery win, a crazy garage sale find or long lost inheritance.

It will never happen I know, but it doesnt stop me dreaming. :insane:

Funny part is, lets say you find a nice VG- unrestored Action 1 at a garage sale for $1. Sure you celebrate and show it off but then do you keep it or sell it?

I suppose it depends on your finances but if you have a $200,000 home loan and kids on the way to college selling a $250,000 comic vs keeping it becomes a tough choice. Jobless, or with major bills or whatever and keeping it becomes even tougher.

Ed

Yep, Action 7 and 'Tec 29 are going to be the "new" ones.

We are so cover driven. Why not Action 2 and Tec 28?

Because we are cover driven :makepoint:

Some of us can't read, so we stare at covers lol. CGC has helped to create a more cover driven market

Some of us can't read, so we stare at covers lol. CGC has helped to create a more cover driven market

To a surprising degree. The Billy Wright #29 in 7.0 sold for double what the Billy Wright #28 sold for in 8.5.

We still judge a book by its cover. CGC/slabbing in general has pushed this even higher as sometimes all one does admire is the cover.

To a surprising degree. The Billy Wright #29 in 7.0 sold for double what the Billy Wright #28 sold for in 8.5.

That spread is way too much. But if there is ever a market correction, the 28 will go up before the 29 goes down.

collecting for most is all about having "showpieces", if we can't show off what we collect, then it doesn't hold our interest.

example:

"hey look, this is Action Comics #2 it contains the second ever Superman story, It's encased in plastic and you can't read it or even see the splash page, but it's in there, the cover is just some dude parachuting from a plane with a girl."

OR

"hey look, this is only the second time in history that Superman was on the cover of a book. and the cover captures the characters early roots perfectly as a no nonsense champion of the oppressed who scared and threatened evil doers.

rinse and repeat for pre-Robin Tecs as well.