• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 1....it seems she will always be out of reach

82 posts in this topic

I have always been of the mind set that you can work to get just about any book.

You can always trade up, take 4 20k books and trade them in for an action 1.

They only thing that would stop it is that if you were unable to accept you have a 100k comic book. Some people cant get past that. I have said this before as when i was young amazibg fantasy was the book now its just another comic.

I have no interest in an action 1 but i have been working hard paying off my tec 27 and it has just taken selling some lesser books and passing on some other stuff.

James G

my guess is that most folks that have 4-5 comics that are 20K, can afford a single 100K comic (thumbs u
Not me my friend :P

A telling post. How many folks on this site could afford to buy their own collection today using their current income? My guess is the longer you've been collecting the less likely you could.

I'd speculate that high end GA collecting is now the province of one two types of people:

(1) Old line collectors who bought quality books far enough in the past that they can easily fund new purchases with their old purchases. Seems like that describes a fair number of folks here. For me, the example is the owner of the local comic shop where I grew up. He lived a very low frills (and probably moderate to low income) life. And the vast majority of his personal comic purchases were for not a lot of money. He mentioned that one of his most major purchases was a high grade Archie 1 for $200 in the early 70s from Bruce Hamilton. He bought and he held for his own collection. That book is now worth $150K+. So guys like that have lots of trading stock to play the game, even though they never had an extraordinary income. [Thing is, he is only now starting to sell his books, and he's doing it to fund his retirement. So while a guy like him could easily put together a trade to get a top key, he doesn't have the desire -- mainly because he already got them all cheap 40 years ago and is focused on living the good life.]

(2) But to enter the game now, what kind of budget do you have to be prepared to spend a year? Obviously, just one $20K comic costs $20K. To afford that kind of outlay for a comic book, in addition to a house payment, cost of living, car, kids, etc., you probably are looking at people who are in the top 1% of income earners in this country (e.g. $350K+ household income). To get an Action 1, you're looking at a more elite group. Comic collecting is no longer accessible to many.

Again, could you afford to buy your own collection today if you had to start over?

I have always been of the mind set that you can work to get just about any book.

You can always trade up, take 4 20k books and trade them in for an action 1.

They only thing that would stop it is that if you were unable to accept you have a 100k comic book. Some people cant get past that. I have said this before as when i was young amazibg fantasy was the book now its just another comic.

I have no interest in an action 1 but i have been working hard paying off my tec 27 and it has just taken selling some lesser books and passing on some other stuff.

James G

my guess is that most folks that have 4-5 comics that are 20K, can afford a single 100K comic (thumbs u
Not me my friend :P
I said most... Not all doh!

Again, could you afford to buy your own collection today if you had to start over?

I don't think I could but them again I don't think I would buy it the same way either. Much like I can't afford the house I own today and would have to figure out a different way into that market.

It is all about adapting to the times and being aware of the deals of today and how you might parlay things into what you want. Still lots of fun in the hobby no matter the level of the dollars.

No, I couldn't. But that has as much to do with rising book prices as it does my more recent focus in life--wife, 2 kids, looking to buy a house within the next year, etc. Those weren't even remote concerns 15+ years ago. So, even when I was making less, I probably had more money to spend on books than I do now.

Yep, Action 7 and 'Tec 29 are going to be the "new" ones.

We are so cover driven. Why not Action 2 and Tec 28?

I know, I totally agree. I can't help but wonder if this will correct itself down the road. Who knows, though.

Actually, given a choice between these 2 books, which one would you rather have?

I think I would take the 'Tec 28 over the Action 2 myself. Yet, at the same time, I would probably take the Action 7 over the 'Tec 29. (shrug)

Any other opinions out there as to which one you would take if you had to choose between these 2 sets of books? hm

I know, I totally agree. I can't help but wonder if this will correct itself down the road. Who knows, though.

Actually, given a choice between these 2 books, which one would you rather have?

I think I would take the 'Tec 28 over the Action 2 myself. Yet, at the same time, I would probably take the Action 7 over the 'Tec 29. (shrug)

Any other opinions out there as to which one you would take if you had to choose between these 2 sets of books? hm

I'm a Batman fan more than Superman, but I'd probably take the Action 2 over a Tec 28....Tec 29 over Action 7 for me, although I've never owned an Action 7 which seems much more allusive than Tec 29.

I held a copy of Action #1 (out of it’s bag) in my hand back in ‘86, the guy who owned it wanted $12,000 for it, as I turned the pages bits of the paper was coming off in my hands, I didn’t buy it, but I think I walked away with a few hundred bucks of it on my hands (ha), it's quite a think comic, wonder why they don't reprint the whole thing ?

Your order is same I would choose, and I'm not even remotely a batman fan. For some reason I find Tec 28 very intriguing though

I hadn't seen this before. That's pretty fun.

You just have to lower your standards. That's what I did and look what I got...

Image2-1.jpg

I can send you a crumb if you want :foryou:

I love how this gives the book the appearance of a holy relic or something. It's like buying a catholic saint's fingerbone in the Middle Ages. lol

lol

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows this was meant to be a gag, a joke, a spoof.

While the chips are indeed real, the COA is just a silly thing to put on your shelf. (all props for the Cert go to Flee)

That said, I often find myself spinning the glass jar of chips on my desk around like a hypnotic kaleidoscope, becoming lost in them as they tumble around.

I need to get out more.

I hadn't seen this before. That's pretty fun.

You just have to lower your standards. That's what I did and look what I got...

Image2-1.jpg

I can send you a crumb if you want :foryou:

I love how this gives the book the appearance of a holy relic or something. It's like buying a catholic saint's fingerbone in the Middle Ages. lol

lol

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows this was meant to be a gag, a joke, a spoof.

While the chips are indeed real, the COA is just a silly thing to put on your shelf. (all props for the Cert go to Flee)

That said, I often find myself spinning the glass jar of chips on my desk around like a hypnotic kaleidoscope, becoming lost in them as they tumble around.

I need to get out more.

Last year, I was one of three recipients of a jar via the CGC Holiday Raffle. Neither underestimate these tiny jars, their COA, nor Kenny's generosity. Flipped it on eBay before Valentine's Day for 25.00.

I kid, I kid! :kidaround: