• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Watterson Calvin and Hobbes strip for sale (not by me)

44 posts in this topic

SHAME on "Brian and Linda."

Why? When the calendar piece went up for auction a little while ago, it was with the blessing of Watterson, and I wouldn't be surpised if that were the case here too. Also, there are things that are more important than ink on paper--if you don't know the motivation for why the art is being sold, I think it's a bit harsh to pass judgement.

Brian and Linda haven't owned this piece in quite some time. Apparently Brian traded it for some HEAVY HEAVY art a little while back - sort of a no-brainer type of trade....but I've said too much already...

edit: just to clarify, everything I said is complete hearsay and most likely nonsense that I heard from a fellow collector.

I think this will go for high five figures/low six figures, easily. Consider that Charles Schulz originals routinely sell for five figures, and they are plentiful. Being able to buy a Calvin and Hobbes original is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Krazy Kat Sundays sell for five figures, but they aren't nearly as rare. There's so little precedent for C&H, it's hard to predict.

EDIT: Oh, duh, the auction is over. Yeah, 200 grand is not surprising at all.

I'm glad this piece fetched that kind of price - it's utterly gorgeous and it reaffirms to me just how loved C&H is.

I wonder if we'll see one or two more pieces comes to market in the near future on the back of that sale.... they're rare, but they're out there.

Oh wait, one more coming up!

Bill Watterson Calvin and Hobbes Daily Comic Strip Original Art dated 11-3-86 (Universal Press Syndicate, 1986). Well, here we go again, collectors of Fine Comic Strip Art! As everyone on the planet that cares knows by now, original artwork from the beloved and greatly missed Calvin and Hobbes comic strip just does not turn up on the market. Unlike most comic creators, artist/writer Bill Watterson never allowed his strip to "go commercial," and has carefully guarded his originals, despite huge offers from frantic fans and well-heeled collectors. The only way one of these little jewels would come your way would be if you happened to be a special friend of Bill's, someone that he thought highly enough to inscribe a personalized message on one of his treasured originals. "Brian and Linda" were obviously more special than most -- Watterson gifted them not once but twice; with the hand-colored Sunday Heritage offered in November, 2012, and with this sweet daily, as classic a C & H strip as there ever was. The art is ink and graphite on bristol, with an approximate image area of 12" x 3.75". The art has been professionally attached to foamcore and matted for framing, to an overall size of 16.5" x 8.75". The lettering is oh-so-slightly faded but still fully legible; otherwise, the drawings are crisp and black, and the overall condition is Excellent .

We know you've heard us say this before, but consider this a rare opportunity that may not be repeated for a long time to come. We have no more Watterson Calvin originals "waiting in the wings" to trot out next time around. If you consider Calvin and Hobbes something extra special, and you've been longing to own an original, this is your moment!

Last sale (I think) was the painted cover illustration from one of the trades that went for $107k. I would gather a painted Sunday wouldn't get to that.

Holy moly, I was wrong about that.

Brian and Linda haven't owned this piece in quite some time. Apparently Brian traded it for some HEAVY HEAVY art a little while back - sort of a no-brainer type of trade....but I've said too much already...

edit: just to clarify, everything I said is complete hearsay and most likely nonsense that I heard from a fellow collector.

I thought this was an interesting article:

http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2012/09/21/break-out-the-credit-card-rare-sunday-calvin-hobbes-goes-to-auction/

I can relate selling art to raise funds for a special occasion :)

Looks like the new owner may be trying to sell this already:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7066&lotNo=93441

That Make Offer button doesn't really imply any active interest in selling. That's a flag on your Heritage account. If it's set one way the button shows up; set the other it does not.

Nice to get a little more back story on the piece. I'd bet that the new owner would like that information, too.

Looks like the new owner may be trying to sell this already:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7066&lotNo=93441

That Make Offer button doesn't really imply any active interest in selling. That's a flag on your eBay account. If it's set one way the button shows up; set the other it does not.

Nice to get a little more back story on the piece. I'd bet that the new owner would like that information, too.

The owner actively soliciting offers indicator is through Heritage - not Ebay. This only pops up at the request of the owner of the item I believe, and has nothing to do with your Heritage settings.