• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever cracked a PGX slab and submitted to CGC? *EDIT* experiment results

89 posts in this topic

I have cracked PGA slabs. This was a pre PGX company name.

I've only cracked books that I subbed, and they've all come back significantly.

8.5's to 9.4's

All books I'd subbed

+1. Not scientific, but always higher.

I wouldn't count on this though. I personally think you got lucky (though you're not the first I've heard relate this experience) based on some of the recent stories I've heard about PGX employees buying low grade and selling high grade PGX slabbed.

I submitted an Avengers Annual #10 that came back a PGX 9.2. I thought it was more of a 9.6, so I cracked it out and sold it as such, with disclosure of the PGX grade (and with the label, I believe). I have yet to submit a PGX book to CGC.

I have cracked PGA slabs. This was a pre PGX company name.

I've only cracked books that I subbed, and they've all come back significantly.

8.5's to 9.4's

All books I'd subbed

+1. Not scientific, but always higher.

I wouldn't count on this though. I personally think you got lucky (though you're not the first I've heard relate this experience) based on some of the recent stories I've heard about PGX employees buying low grade and selling high grade PGX slabbed.

I submitted an Avengers Annual #10 that came back a PGX 9.2. I thought it was more of a 9.6, so I cracked it out and sold it as such, with disclosure of the PGX grade (and with the label, I believe). I have yet to submit a PGX book to CGC.

That's what people have said on here, PGX cracking cgc books and giving them higher false grades.

Sent a few books to PGX before I found these boards. Here's one of the re-subs.

004-7.jpg

bb29006-1.jpg

Wow a whole point higher. Nice book doc. (thumbs u

I did have the book pressed, but I don't think it actually gave it a grade bump. It was pretty flat otherwise. PGX just sucks the big one.

Is there an concrete evidence of this though? This seems like one of those rumors...

Yes.... a 9.6 became 9.0. :sick: At least it was unrestored. A PGX slab, in my opinion, has lower value than from a reputable dealer who sells raw. I'd treat a PGX slab as I would a random eBay raw purchase, and discount accordingly.

Of course, that's fantasyland, because I wouldn't ever buy a PGX slab...EVER.

I've cross graded a number of books - probably a dozen just this past year.

In general, the grades have been similiar. Usually the same or one grade difference. I can't say about the restoration detection skills. I have had PGX spot minor CT I missed on a couple of inexpensive books. If I know a book is restored I ususally don't send them for slabbing as I actually find restored books to sell better raw. The PLOD and GLOD labels are like garlic to a vampire.

I've read about the reported employees (actually, I've only read of one) of PGX buying and selling PGX graded books. If true, this is a mistake on PGX's part to allow such. It just creates an enviroment that encourages unethical behavior.

That said, some collectors raise an eyebrow when they learn that Heritage Auctions and CGC are part of the same parent company.

The real question that I haven't seen addressed is "why?" cross grade. Unless one has a good reason - you think it a solid Crack, Press and Resubmitt candidate or it's a key that would bring more money graded by CGC- one needs to recognize that there is always a risk taking a book out of a holder - anyone's holder - and resubmitting. Resubmissions do not always turn out to one's liking.

Someone can maybe find the link who has more time to look, not sure if it was a hoax. but I remember a YouTube video of someone who submitted a TMNT #1 to PGX and was going to submit to CGC just to see the difference. The book he got back when he cracked the PGX was not the first print of the book he had sent in.

And if you have, what were the results, same grade, lower/higher?

From everything I've read PGX has some wacky things going on.

The comparison data I've seen so far has been anecdotal and statistically insignificant. Hundreds if not thousands of data points across the grading spectrum would be required to show variances. Those variances would then need to be compared with the normal margin of error associated with either company. This kind of data is difficult if not impossible to obtain.

Even if this data could be obtained, since absolute grading standards do not exist, it would only show the variance of one grading company's "opinion" versus another, rather than variance from a measurable standard. Outside of arbitrage opportunities in the marketplace, I don't think this data would have much utility.

My only experience as noted were books that I personally owned and subbed to PGA (pgx) and then cracked and resubbed to CGC. No pressing and they all have come back significantly higher. I still have a handful of those slabs for future resub.