• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever cracked a PGX slab and submitted to CGC? *EDIT* experiment results

89 posts in this topic

For every person who says their grades went up, there is a person to say their grades went down.

The big difference is the restoration check skills. The reputation is that PGX misses it, and CGC detects it.

I can grade a book myself, what I need help with is the restoration check. I do not own any PGX books, but if I did I would be more worried about it coming back a PLOD than the numerical grade dropping. 2c

For every person who says their grades went up, there is a person to say their grades went down.

The big difference is the restoration check skills. The reputation is that PGX misses it, and CGC detects it.

I can grade a book myself, what I need help with is the restoration check. I do not own any PGX books, but if I did I would be more worried about it coming back a PLOD than the numerical grade dropping. 2c

+1 as for evidence I have none but I can avow that I have seen PGX universal slabs with obvious color touch on the books, more than "small amount", with no notation. That and the fraud threads are enough to keep me away.

Seems that no matter what, PGX can not "win".

If they undergrade from what CGC does (gives), then they are bad. If they overgrade, versus what CGC "gives", then they are bad.

If they match (equal) what CGC "gives" the same book, then PGX is bad.

ALL comic book grading is subjective and OPINION, and can not be confirmed, but can be debated.

PGX suffers from:

1. Past "stories". Such as the TMNT #1 that was allegedly a 1st print when submitted and was "stolen" (switched) by PGX, and substituted with a third print. Even though the current feelings are that it was a scam done by the books owner/submitter, and that PGX was most likely innocent of the "charge".

2. The occasional book that CGC finds is restored or trimmed, that PGX missed.

The fact that CGC is the supreme and (apparently), the final authority on the grade of a book, in this hobby. Even though CGC misses by a mile occasionally (see: Action #1 copy that is famous for the CGC fantastic and silly overgrade), and the occasional story here of how CGC missed a trimmed edge, issue number, or "print" number.

I have many books from both companies. It "seems to me", that PGX is in the ball park. Just as CGC is in the ball park.

I would not submit amy books to PGX, anymore. But that is a financial decision, based on the "perceived" reputation of PGX as not being as good. Plus the fact (like it or not), that CGC graded books, sell for a premium versus a PGX slabbed book. Not to mention that Heritage will not list a PGX slabbed book for sale or auction.

But that is because CGC and Heritage are connected in business, and not because it is an independant auction house decision that a PGX slabbed book is inferior. It is like certain stores or restaurants that only sell Coke or only sell Pepsi and not both, because of a financial connection.

Bottom line is that I only buy CGC slabbed books because they have a perceived higher value, than PGX slabbed books.

(even though PGX is a whole lot faster, a whole lot cheaper, and has better slabs)

hmmm...

If they undergrade from what CGC does (gives), then they are bad. If they overgrade, versus what CGC "gives", then they are bad.

ALL comic book grading is subjective and OPINION, and can not be confirmed, but can be debated.

PGX suffers from:

1. Past "stories". Such as the TMNT #1 that was allegedly a 1st print when submitted and was "stolen" (switched) by PGX, and substituted with a third print. Even though the current feelings are that it was a scam done by the books owner/submitter, and that PGX was most likely innocent of the "charge".

The fact that CGC is the supreme and (apparently), the final authority on the grade of a book, in this hobby. Even though CGC misses by a mile occasionally (see: Action #1 copy that is famous for the CGC fantastic and silly overgrade), and the occasional story here of how CGC missed a trimmed edge, issue number, or "print" number.

I have many books from both companies. It "seems to me", that PGX is in the ball park. Just as CGC is in the ball park.

I would not submit amy books to PGX, anymore. But that is a financial decision, based on the "perceived" reputation of PGX as not being as good. Plus the fact (like it or not), that CGC graded books, sell for a premium versus a PGX slabbed book. Not to mention that Heritage will not list a PGX slabbed book for sale or auction.

But that is because CGC and Heritage are connected in business, and not because it is an independant auction house decision that a PGX slabbed book is inferior. It is like certain stores or restaurants that only sell Coke or only sell Pepsi and not both, because of a financial connection.

Bottom line is that I only buy CGC slabbed books because they have a perceived higher value, than PGX slabbed books.

(even though PGX is a whole lot faster, a whole lot cheaper, and has better slabs)

hmmm...

Good post, well stated and very true.

I suggest an experiment. Someone needs to submit 1000 books to PGX for grading, record the grades and then crack them out and sub them to CGC to see the variation. That should give a pretty good indication of the differences.

PGX suffers from:

hmmm...

No this is not true.Those are not stories.They are facts.Books are switched,with missing pages slabbed,and massively overgraded.

You can buy from PGX if you like,but I like a little more object opinion on my books.

PGX suffers from:

hmmm...

No this is not true.Those are not stories.They are facts.Books are switched,with missing pages slabbed,and massively overgraded.

You can buy from PGX if you like,but I like a little more object opinion on my books.

From the results of this thread, facts from Boardie submissions, it appears PGX does not massively overgrade as you state. In fact, it appears they undergrade. I find the 'books are switched' accusations hard to believe, at least on a large scale. CGC is the way to go, no argument, but you act like using PGX is like going to the darkside or something. It's not good vs evil, it's just an alternative.

From reading these boards for many years, it seems apparent that if you take a PGX graded book and submit it to CGC. The odds are that it will be graded slightly higher by CGC, than what PGX graded it.

This, of course, is not written in stone. Both companies could lower or raise the grade the other company gave. It just seems that "most of the time", CGC grades slightly higher.

I know poeple that intentionally look for PGX books on Ebay, in pursuit of this potential upgrade.

That is how prevalent the thoughts on that potential upgrade are.

But still, I personally only purchase CGC graded books. Even though I often disagree with CGC's given grades. They are not consistent. But that doesn't mean I am saying that PGX is.

I often disagree with both, and since all grading is opinion, how can I be wrong? How can they be wrong? Restoration detection aside, (which is a HUGE factor and can not actually be put aside, and is the MOST IMPORTANT thing in the professional grading system, IMO). The actual grade given is much less important to me, than the tampering detection (read: restoration).

Buy the book and not the label. Seems the way to go.

For me, all over the place...Examples below (for the most part, they were pressed before CGC submission - I have no idea if they were pressed before PGX encasement). Obviously the Hawkman 1 with the missed restoration sticks out - I missed it too). I have a few more but had these scanned.

crashcomics5pgx_zpsd66e5dbf.jpg

a5b4b389_zpsb8b2003c.jpg

marvelboypgx_zpsa876c350.jpg

1331d4f6_zpsd6ac1615.jpg

blackterror13pgx70cr-ow_zps9f4e21b6.jpg

f5d58433_zps9a3a719c.jpg

wondercomics13pgx65cr-ow_zps16aaa161.jpg

9de7b006_zpsbf0dd6c4.jpg

bff2782e_zps812875b1.jpg

thrillingcomics49cgc40ow-w_zpsd2e66014.jpg

0ba501a4_zpsb6eaec4b.jpg

thrillingcomics50cgc60ow-w_zps65f9b8be.jpg