• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WB has no idea what they are doing.

45 posts in this topic

I think DC is doing fine with their movies. Sure, HEX was awful and GREEN LANTERN wasn't as good as it could have been, but they have been knocking it out of the park with BATMAN, scored big-time with the WATCHMEN and the SUPERMAN reboot has great potential.

They have lots of other characters which could translate well on film if they get it right in the story phase first. They need to start making the damn movies instead of talking about making them. Some will do good and some won't, that's the game. It's crazy how gun-shy they are about anything without Batman and Superman.

Depends on what kind of characters. If we are talking about their Vertigo characters then I agree,but if we are talking about their superhero characters then I disagree. After Batman,Superman,Flash,Wonder Woman and Green Lantern we will find that most of the DC super heroes would not translate well into film ,and with Green Lantern only having mediocre success the odds of many of the other heroes are now slim and none. DC might get a Justice League movie or maybe an Aquaman movie done, but that`s about it. It will never be like the Marvel movies because Marvel has many more heroes that translate much better into film.

he's the kiss of death cinematically speaking (Spirit anyone?)...

Bit of a stretch surely? 300 and Sin City were both successful (admittedly he only produced rather than directed the former, but still...)

I don't really understand the director credits for Sin City. Who did what?

Bit of a stretch surely? 300 and Sin City were both successful (admittedly he only produced rather than directed the former, but still...)

It's a Rodriguez film. My understanding is that they had to give Miller co-directing cred in order to get him to sign off on the material.

I think DC is doing fine with their movies. Sure, HEX was awful and GREEN LANTERN wasn't as good as it could have been, but they have been knocking it out of the park with BATMAN, scored big-time with the WATCHMEN and the SUPERMAN reboot has great potential.

They have lots of other characters which could translate well on film if they get it right in the story phase first. They need to start making the damn movies instead of talking about making them. Some will do good and some won't, that's the game. It's crazy how gun-shy they are about anything without Batman and Superman.

Depends on what kind of characters. If we are talking about their Vertigo characters then I agree,but if we are talking about their superhero characters then I disagree. After Batman,Superman,Flash,Wonder Woman and Green Lantern we will find that most of the DC super heroes would not translate well into film ,and with Green Lantern only having mediocre success the odds of many of the other heroes are now slim and none. DC might get a Justice League movie or maybe an Aquaman movie done, but that`s about it. It will never be like the Marvel movies because Marvel has many more heroes that translate much better into film.

I totally disagree. If the movie is well written and well made, just about any character will be a good fit on the big screen. I'd love a decent movie with Hawkman, Adam Strange, Green Arrow, The Atom, The Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Blue Beetle, Shazam ... whoever. If a Thor movie can be that good (I loved it), and an Iron Man one too, then the sky's the limit.

:banana: An Adam Strange movie!! :banana:

It's a Rodriguez film. My understanding is that they had to give Miller co-directing cred in order to get him to sign off on the material.

That's what I figured. So The Spirit is his only director's outing... :sick:

I was floored when I checked the Box Office numbers for Jonah Hex---I think a movie about nothing would've generated more revenue.

Still a HUGE fan of Jonah Hex...keeping the faith...

I have the DVD but am still too afraid to watch it.

That's what I figured. So The Spirit is his only director's outing... :sick:

Let's hope it stays that way.

I totally disagree. If the movie is well written and well made, just about any character will be a good fit on the big screen. I'd love a decent movie with Hawkman, Adam Strange, Green Arrow, The Atom, The Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Blue Beetle, Shazam ... whoever. If a Thor movie can be that good (I loved it), and an Iron Man one too, then the sky's the limit.

Maybe your right,but it`s probally mute now because of Green Lantern`s lukewarm box office. Think about it if mainstream didn`t go for Green Lantern at the box office,then what do you think Hawkman, Adam Strange, Green Arrow, The Atom, Phantom Stranger, Blue Beetle would do at the box office? They would all do less box office then Green Lantern,and yes Green Hornet! None would break 50 million domestic!

I will give you Shazam and Spectre might be good if done right.

For the most part I would think Warner has found out that most of their heroes can`t be translated into films. This could be bad for the comic book end of it,as the only reason why Warner still allows DC Comics to publish the non -Batman/Superman comic books is to hope that one of their B stringers will be made into a movie,videogame or action figure.

If your looking for non-Marvel superhero characters to be translated into film,then look to the Valiant and Image characters,as they would translate much better to film then the DC characters(Superman and Batman not included).

If DC is smart they should just focus on keeping Superman,Batman,Flash,Wonder Woman and Green Lantern relevant,and stop wasting their time with all the new DC 52 reboot stuff.

They should focus on their gold to keep it gold,and stop worrying about obscure 40 something year old heroes that not many people care about.

I rather have 3 great Nolan Batman movies, then a bunch of mediocre b list DC second and third stringer movies . 2c

:gossip: You forgot Aquaman.

I'd go see a Justice League movie regardless of who was involved in producing/directing/screenwriting. I'm a comic book fan....

DC only needs to realize that Marvel's method of building to a Team movie is probably the best way to go. When a superhero team consists of established heroes, you really need to introduce at least the majority of them before that team movie.

When your team of superheroes didn't exist as heroes before, you can just wade in. So the FF and X-Men work as movies without any prequels. But I don't think Marvel could have - or DC will be able - to just throw out an Avengers or JL movie.

I am having trouble thinking of many DC team books that didn't use already established characters. Doom Patrol could maybe work as movie. I think LSH and Metal Men would be a tough sell. Suicide Squad wasn't super.

I personally would love to see a Teen Titans movie. Maybe do a Robin/Nightwing movie that introduces one of the other TT - then have them pull a team together for a bigger threat??

Here is what they should do....(except they can't because they don't want to pay Siegel/Shuster heirs for Superboy, but whatever)

Build the entire universe around Superman and Batman(forget Wonder Woman, she is a B player compared to these two). Do a Superman movie, and Batman movie almost simultaneously. Start at the origins and build toward the JLA movie.

Do Superman and Batman right. Follow the comics(or the animated series) origins.

Superman movie

Jor-el and Lara on Krypton. Planet explodes, send Kal-el to earth(Don't draw this out eternally. We all know the story) . Introduce Brainiac (WB animated version) Clark grows up learning about his powers slowly. Enter the Legion of Super-Heroes. who tell Clark about his powers, take him to the future, where he learns about what he will become, learns to use his powers, fights the Fatal Five(would be a great visual), and finally returns to earth, and begins his career as Superboy/man.

Moves to Metropolis, where he encounters Lex Luthor(the WB animated version), who is deeply entrenched in Metropolis/American politics/business. Superman stops him at every turn. Luthor determine he has to have power to defeat Superman, and tries to create that power. Involve him in the creation of the Parasite, Bizarro, and working on a power suit to put him on par with Superman.

Batman Movie

A few years later than the explosion of Krypton, Thomas and Martha Wayne are on the way home from a movie, and are killed by a robber(not the Joker or Ra's Al Ghul). Bruce grows up obsessed, studying, training, preparing to avenge his parents and fight crime. You can have him encounter Ra's during training, and Harvey Dent as an attorney, maybe even Selina as a young cat-burglar, who he has some chemistry with, and turns her loose, after she promises to change her ways. Introduce Grayson, as he is a very important part of the Batman mythos, as both Robin and Nightwing, and eventually Batman. Batman and Robin fight crime in Gotham, all the while Batman is investigating the escalating crimes, not only in Gotham, but around the world.

JLA lead ins

Right at the end of the Batman movie, you have Batman follow the trail of crimes to LexCorp in Metropolis.

Right at the end of the Superman movie, you bring in Batman. The Dark Knight shows up in Metropolis. He encounters Superman, and together they begin to plan a team(Batman, ala Nick Fury, has been finding out about other heroes) to battle this menace. They go to the Batcave where Batman shows Superman a computer screen of Wonderwoman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and several other heroes. End of movie.

JLA movie

Small corp group of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, GL, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman, Green Arrow and Black Canary battle the Legion of Doom. The team which Luthor has assembled consists of Bizarro, Scarecrow, the Cheetah, Solomon Grundy, Weather Wizard, Mongul, Black Manta, Dr. Light. After a series of individual battles, there is a battle royal in which the villains are defeated. At the end of the movie, we cut to Luthor, talking to Ra's Al Ghul and Vandal Savage, as they begin building a more deadly, more powerful team, with guys like Black Adam, Professor Zoom, Sinestro, Deathstroke, Parasite, etc.

Out of this, you could build other smaller films, such as Flash (Captain Cold/Heatwave, introduce Kid Flash), Green Lantern (explore the Sinestro stuff) . and Wonder Woman, and even other heroes, not used in the movie, but maybe were seen on Batman's computer screen, such as Hawkman, Atom, Captain Marvel (origin story would be great) etc.

So film people don't know about comics - but they know about films, and especially about box office. The idea that they're going to give Miller a big-budget directing job after The Spirit is ludicrous.

Captain Marvel (Shazam) is the biggest thing they've got in their store room. Done just half properly, it would be huge with younger and older fans alike, and 3 pictures wouldn't be a stretch.

Never thought of this, but I really think you're on to something.

Maybe your right,but it`s probally mute now because of Green Lantern`s lukewarm box office. Think about it if mainstream didn`t go for Green Lantern at the box office,then what do you think Hawkman, Adam Strange, Green Arrow, The Atom, Phantom Stranger, Blue Beetle would do at the box office? They would all do less box office then Green Lantern,and yes Green Hornet! None would break 50 million domestic!

I will give you Shazam and Spectre might be good if done right.

For the most part I would think Warner has found out that most of their heroes can`t be translated into films. This could be bad for the comic book end of it,as the only reason why Warner still allows DC Comics to publish the non -Batman/Superman comic books is to hope that one of their B stringers will be made into a movie,videogame or action figure.

If your looking for non-Marvel superhero characters to be translated into film,then look to the Valiant and Image characters,as they would translate much better to film then the DC characters(Superman and Batman not included).

If DC is smart they should just focus on keeping Superman,Batman,Flash,Wonder Woman and Green Lantern relevant,and stop wasting their time with all the new DC 52 reboot stuff.

They should focus on their gold to keep it gold,and stop worrying about obscure 40 something year old heroes that not many people care about.

I rather have 3 great Nolan Batman movies, then a bunch of mediocre b list DC second and third stringer movies . 2c

I tend to agree overall. I can think of DC characters that could be made into good films and you would think WB would be able to do that. Justice League will eventually get done. Teen Titans has had a successful animated life - just like X-Men did before their movies. Isn't the sequel to Constantine finally being worked on? Howabout something really outside the box like a super creepy, bloody Demon movie?

However, Valiant (which is really GK) has a couple of great choices. Dreamworks recently purchased the rights to the Gold Key titles - and it's a pretty sure bet they don't plan on printing comics. Turok begs for a movie. Dinosaurs have had successful movies. Hollow earth movies have done well. Native American movies have had some success. And this character has a huge fan base because of the games.

Magnus could easily be taken in the direction of an I Robot type movie. Think Valiant's Steel Nation story arc and free will robots.

If I could just win the lottery I would bankroll one of these myself....

I'd go see a Justice League movie regardless of who was involved in producing/directing/screenwriting. I'm a comic book fan....

DC only needs to realize that Marvel's method of building to a Team movie is probably the best way to go. When a superhero team consists of established heroes, you really need to introduce at least the majority of them before that team movie.

When your team of superheroes didn't exist as heroes before, you can just wade in. So the FF and X-Men work as movies without any prequels. But I don't think Marvel could have - or DC will be able - to just throw out an Avengers or JL movie.

I am having trouble thinking of many DC team books that didn't use already established characters. Doom Patrol could maybe work as movie. I think LSH and Metal Men would be a tough sell. Suicide Squad wasn't super.

I personally would love to see a Teen Titans movie. Maybe do a Robin/Nightwing movie that introduces one of the other TT - then have them pull a team together for a bigger threat??

Here is what they should do....(except they can't because they don't want to pay Siegel/Shuster heirs for Superboy, but whatever)

Build the entire universe around Superman and Batman(forget Wonder Woman, she is a B player compared to these two). Do a Superman movie, and Batman movie almost simultaneously. Start at the origins and build toward the JLA movie.

Do Superman and Batman right. Follow the comics(or the animated series) origins.

Superman movie

Jor-el and Lara on Krypton. Planet explodes, send Kal-el to earth(Don't draw this out eternally. We all know the story) . Introduce Brainiac (WB animated version) Clark grows up learning about his powers slowly. Enter the Legion of Super-Heroes. who tell Clark about his powers, take him to the future, where he learns about what he will become, learns to use his powers, fights the Fatal Five(would be a great visual), and finally returns to earth, and begins his career as Superboy/man.

Moves to Metropolis, where he encounters Lex Luthor(the WB animated version), who is deeply entrenched in Metropolis/American politics/business. Superman stops him at every turn. Luthor determine he has to have power to defeat Superman, and tries to create that power. Involve him in the creation of the Parasite, Bizarro, and working on a power suit to put him on par with Superman.

Batman Movie

A few years later than the explosion of Krypton, Thomas and Martha Wayne are on the way home from a movie, and are killed by a robber(not the Joker or Ra's Al Ghul). Bruce grows up obsessed, studying, training, preparing to avenge his parents and fight crime. You can have him encounter Ra's during training, and Harvey Dent as an attorney, maybe even Selina as a young cat-burglar, who he has some chemistry with, and turns her loose, after she promises to change her ways. Introduce Grayson, as he is a very important part of the Batman mythos, as both Robin and Nightwing, and eventually Batman. Batman and Robin fight crime in Gotham, all the while Batman is investigating the escalating crimes, not only in Gotham, but around the world.

JLA lead ins

Right at the end of the Batman movie, you have Batman follow the trail of crimes to LexCorp in Metropolis.

Right at the end of the Superman movie, you bring in Batman. The Dark Knight shows up in Metropolis. He encounters Superman, and together they begin to plan a team(Batman, ala Nick Fury, has been finding out about other heroes) to battle this menace. They go to the Batcave where Batman shows Superman a computer screen of Wonderwoman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and several other heroes. End of movie.

JLA movie

Small corp group of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, GL, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman, Green Arrow and Black Canary battle the Legion of Doom. The team which Luthor has assembled consists of Bizarro, Scarecrow, the Cheetah, Solomon Grundy, Weather Wizard, Mongul, Black Manta, Dr. Light. After a series of individual battles, there is a battle royal in which the villains are defeated. At the end of the movie, we cut to Luthor, talking to Ra's Al Ghul and Vandal Savage, as they begin building a more deadly, more powerful team, with guys like Black Adam, Professor Zoom, Sinestro, Deathstroke, Parasite, etc.

Out of this, you could build other smaller films, such as Flash (Captain Cold/Heatwave, introduce Kid Flash), Green Lantern (explore the Sinestro stuff) . and Wonder Woman, and even other heroes, not used in the movie, but maybe were seen on Batman's computer screen, such as Hawkman, Atom, Captain Marvel (origin story would be great) etc.

Please, no more Lex Luthor.

Or origin stories.

Superman movie

Batman Movie

JLA lead ins

JLA movie

Please, no more Lex Luthor.

Or origin stories.

Its never been done right......except in Superman the animated series, where he is truly evil, and the perfect foe for Superman.

Green Lantern failed because it was garbage, not because people don't know/like Green Lantern or it wasn't marketed properly. It opened fairly large, large enough to consider a sequel. If we didn't have Marvel movies or Batman to compare to, there probably would be a sequel. But word of mouth went the wrong direction and it became a (unintended) joke. Ghost Rider was intended to be a joke and so people didn't feel insulted when they watched it. Therefore they got a sequel.

No one knew Blade, and they made 3 movies out of that. People are willing to allow themselves to be tricked, but not if you treat them like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.