• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing and/or signing an already slabbed book with pedigrees

21 posts in this topic

Ok, I have a dilemma and i am coming to you fine folks for an answer.

I have a few slabbed books that have a pedigree. THey range in grade from 3.5 - 9.0.

I was looking at them today though and noticed, especially on some of the mid-grade books, that if they were pressed i could probably get at least a 1 or 1.5 point bump in their grade.

Is there a way to get a book cracked, pressed and resubmitted to CGC while ensuring that it will receive the pedigree mark when it is graded again?

The same question goes for signatures....got a great book from the Savannah pedigree that i would absolutely love to have Stan Lee sign, but will it come back with the Savannah pedigree notated on it?

As long as you include some proof of the pedigree status - eg. either the old CGC label with the pedigree notation or a pedigree certificate - the resubbed book will keep its pedigree notation as well. It doesn't matter what label color the book ends up with - the process is the same.

The OP is talking about a book that has yet to be signed - so there's no problem with him cracking the book himself and just including the label when it's resubbed.

That is correct. he can send them in directly. If he wants them pressed and prepped before they are signed he would need to see me first.

The same question goes for signatures....got a great book from the Savannah pedigree that i would absolutely love to have Stan Lee sign, but will it come back with the Savannah pedigree notated on it?

I did it with two pedigree books and they both kept their designation

Something that doesn't get mentioned enough and is probably worth mentioning, is that once you have a book removed from a CGC holder, that grade and resto check are null and void.

This is significant because

a) anything can happen to the book between the time it is removed to the time it is regraded, especially if it goes through several sets of hands

b) there are no guarantees that CGC will grade the book the same way OR that the book will come back unrestored - they are human and can miss stuff the first time around

c) sometimes even pressing a book does not increase it's grade

Sometimes pressing and resubmission is portrayed as being a veritable bank roll but you generally don't hear the stories where someone loses rather than wins. There is always risk involved.

I'm not a pedigree collector, but isn't the point of the pedigree designation to preserve the condition of the book in relation to how it was found/collected?

You own the book, you can do with it what you want - but I figured that when it came to pedigree collecting, there were some common collecting traits to how the pedigree is preserved? Am I right or wrong in thinking that?

I'm not a pedigree collector, but isn't the point of the pedigree designation to preserve the condition of the book in relation to how it was found/collected?

You own the book, you can do with it what you want - but I figured that when it came to pedigree collecting, there were some common collecting traits to how the pedigree is preserved? Am I right or wrong in thinking that?

IMO, you are right. Unfortunately, many others don't feel the same way. :sorry:

:applause: If history holds, this will be the beginning of much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I personally don't like pressing or signing a pedigree book.

I think thats out the window unfortunately. I know there have been many examples of people purposely ditching the Pedigree designation on a CPR to try and hide the grade bump :(

Hey, i love Pedigrees as much as anyone but to each their own. If someone wants to SS a Pedigree book for their collection, i dont really have a problem with that unless its a very rare/unique book. My only problem is people that SS a Pedigree book just so they can list it on eBay the next day with a retarded high BIN price :sorry:

I think thats out the window unfortunately. I know there have been many examples of people purposely ditching the Pedigree designation on a CPR to try and hide the grade bump :(

Hey, i love Pedigrees as much as anyone but to each their own. If someone wants to SS a Pedigree book for their collection, i dont really have a problem with that unless its a very rare/unique book. My only problem is people that SS a Pedigree book just so they can list it on eBay the next day with a retarded high BIN price :sorry:

I don't feel that it's out the window. If a comic is significant because of who first bought and added it to their collection, then it's afforded additional status as an historical artifact. I'd be trying hell or high water to keep it looking as it did in its original famous collection. :sumo:

Why take something with historical significance as to its condition and origin and then change the condition?

I don't feel that it's out the window. If a comic is significant because of who first bought and added it to their collection, then it's afforded additional status as an historical artifact. I'd be trying hell or high water to keep it looking as it did in its original famous collection. :sumo:

Why take something with historical significance as to its condition and origin and then change the condition?

I agree, others not so much :cry:

If its a high grade GA/SA books I find it to be just utterly maddening, a complete waste of a book.

If its a high grade GA/SA books I find it to be just utterly maddening, a complete waste of a book.

De-slabbing them is just as bad! :baiting:

De-slabbing them is just as bad! :baiting:

How would you know? :baiting: