• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problems with MYCOMICSHOP?

113 posts in this topic

For the sheer number of transactions that they complete monthly, the unsatisfied are in the infinitesimal minority.

Their prices are fair, their grading is overall on point, and their shipping is top notch. (thumbs u

You certainly can't please everyone and I have read very few complaints from boardies about LoneStar. (shrug)

I've bought from them before. Great packaging, great service, no issues...

except for inconsistent grading. I've gotten some "NM" books that were clearly VF/NM...and some that were NM+ or even better.

Their stock is impressive, but I wish they had more books of exceptional quality.

Anything less than 9.8 just won't do for me. I'm just that sort of collector.

I've never sold to them.

I'm curious if anyone has had problematic dealings with them before. I just introduced a friend to comics and have been giving her reading assigments. She purchased some inexpensive books (preacher) from them, but they got the address wrong and the books were sent back. Apparently when she tried to get them to resend them to the correct address the replies she recieved were very rude and unproffessional.

I don't really buy anything from them because the prices are usually for suckers and when I've tried to find reasonable ground by emailing them, I've been met with curt answers like "our prices our fixed" or a simple "no."

I found a few boardies mention them (none with kind words) and was curious if this is a habit for them. I feel bad because I'm trying to introduce someone to the hobby and this is leaving a bad taste in her mouth.

The power of the pen can help and if this isn't refelctive of a few scattered and isolated incidents I'd like to out the nefarious up-to-no-gooders.

-B

The addresses are likely automatically generated from whatever the buyer puts into his/her paypal account or on the mycomicshop website. So unless there was a computer error, it's probably the shipping provider that caused the book to end up at the wrong place (or the buyer entered the wrong address initially).

That's a lot of pretty positive posts!

The subject line caught my eye. Problems with MyComicShop? As one who has had many positive dealings with them, I was really glad to see so many people heaping glowing praise on them. I've never sold to them, but my purchases have always been pleasant experiences. Tight grading, solid packaging. Are they dirt-cheap rock-bottom basement prices? Nope, but they don't claim to be. Are they reasonable prices? You betcha.

How many businesses do you know of, in any industry at all, that will have customers rushing to their defense when somebody asks for opinions? The dissatisfied customers will always be vocal and motivated. But when a business manages to win over a throng of customers so thoroughly that they are motivated enough to sing praises like this, it's a rare and welcome sight.

Never had a problem.

I am very surprised whenever this comes up as an issue

Why be surprised? Because many had no issues doesn't mean the OP is making it up.

Would you be surprised if I told you that I bought a modest early SA book from them, a year or two back, advertised as an 8.0 but what arrived at my doorstep surely wasn't such?

A few photos thrown on PGM helped grade the book 6.5 to 7.0. This matched my understanding and was not close enough to the advertised grade -- nor what I wanted for my collection.

I emailed them and pointed out a few defects that I believed took the book out of the VF range. I didn't make accusations that they had made a mistake but that the book just wasn't really where I needed it grade-wise. They agreed to take it back.

I probably didn't need an apology for the misgrading or waste of my time dealing with the book -- but I was out the $15 shipping -- to me and back.

To me it was a somewhat typical eBay exchange, so I just sucked it up.

The moral is that some transaction go well and some don't. Sometimes companies offer good service and sometimes they don't. I am pretty confident that no one -- including myself -- is immune from occasional criticism. (shrug)

End of rant. :sumo:

The moral is that some transaction go well and some don't. Sometimes companies offer good service and sometimes they don't. I am pretty confident that no one -- including myself -- is immune from occasional criticism. (shrug)

This sounds WAAAYYY too reasonable a response to belong to this board. (worship)

Anything less than 9.8 just won't do for me. I'm just that sort of collector.

I've never sold to them.

Then why are you buying raw books at all? If you are looking for that particular grade I imagine you will be disappointed far more often than not buying raw books. Just buy a slab already graded so you know what you are getting.

I'm curious if anyone has had problematic dealings with them before. I just introduced a friend to comics and have been giving her reading assigments. She purchased some inexpensive books (preacher) from them, but they got the address wrong and the books were sent back. Apparently when she tried to get them to resend them to the correct address the replies she recieved were very rude and unproffessional.

I don't really buy anything from them because the prices are usually for suckers and when I've tried to find reasonable ground by emailing them, I've been met with curt answers like "our prices our fixed" or a simple "no."

I found a few boardies mention them (none with kind words) and was curious if this is a habit for them. I feel bad because I'm trying to introduce someone to the hobby and this is leaving a bad taste in her mouth.

The power of the pen can help and if this isn't refelctive of a few scattered and isolated incidents I'd like to out the nefarious up-to-no-gooders.

-B

Regarding the address, like thegeneral pointed out, the addresses for orders aren't something we usually write by hand or modify on our end. Whatever address the buyer entered during checkout, or whatever address comes through from eBay/PayPal, is what ends up going on the label. I don't know the details of your friend's situation, but you're welcome to send me a PM if you would like me to review our communication with your friend.

A few comments on our pricing:

- If you want to see if you can get a better deal on a book than our listed price, you can PM me with your offer. Haggling on prices is not part of the duties of our customer service staff. There's no rudeness intended when they reply that our prices are fixed--it's just a statement of how we operate.

- If you think think our pricing is high on something, it's readily available elsewhere cheaper, and the inventory we have isn't moving, then our price is high and we would like to know about it. If that's the case, you can PM me and we'll review it and make an adjustment.

On the other hand, if you think our pricing is high, but it's not available anywhere else at what you think the price should be, and we're selling the book at a steady pace at our current price, then maybe our price isn't unreasonable.

- Everything that's listed in our eBay store will be approximately 10% cheaper on our web site.

- For more expensive books, a lot of our inventory now is consignments (they're highlighted in yellow and labeled as consignment in the listings on our web site). For those items, the consignors set the prices, not us.

- For our own inventory of higher end books, much of what we buy goes either into our monthly auction as a $1 start no reserve auction, or is priced fairly close to GPA.

My most recent transaction resulted in a positive experience after some historic mixed results. But to make it feel like there is a positive trend, I guess I'll have to place another order.

:whee:

Chasing rainbows and riding unicorns, eh?

Santa told me to believe in the positive. And his friend the Easter Bunny backed him on this.

(: