• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest disappointment of a series when you finally read it?

206 posts in this topic

OK, here's my list:

1. watchmen...was disappointed upon 1st reading when it was 1st published. Even more disappointed upon 2nd reading a few years ago

2. Sin CIty - I don't understand the appeal of this series

3. Cerebus 101 - 300. The 1st 100 issues were quite a nice read

4. V for Vendetta

5. Swampthing (Alan Moore run).

6. Crisis on Infinite Earths (Wolfman/Perez)

7. Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four - yes, *That* FF run

8. Animal Man - Grant Morrison. Very odd considering how much I enjoyed his work on Doom Patrol

9. X-Men written by Roy Thomas (no affinity for the characters, and far too verbose)

10. Y: The Last Man. Yawn!

And DKR. First of all I don't really like the style of the art and I thought I was too political. I don't see how people tout this as the quintessential Batman story. It just doesn't do it for me. I liked Miller's Year One much better.

I first read DKR when I was 16. Hated it. Especially the art. I preferred style over substance then. I tried reading it again a few years later. Nope, still didn't take. But for some reason, probably a decade later, I gave it another try and it became the greatest comic read of all time for me. A light just came on. And the sheer beauty of that "ugly" art came through. Especially with Lynn Varley's coloring. So I can easily understand how this book isn't for everyone. It wasn't for me for the longest time.

It not a 'Must read' series, but people I work with go on and on about Invincible.

Reading this book is an absolute chore, the characters tell one another about every little action they do regardless of how meaningless. I'm off to work now, but first I need gas, gas fuels my cars engine, I'll need money to pay for gas, I work for money....... :blahblah:

Biggest disappointment was Black Kiss. I wasn't old enough to buy it when it came out - and it had a lot of "mature readers only" hype. Didn't give it much thought until a run showed up on the Boards. I figured I would see what the hubbub was about and hopefully it would be entertaining.

Completely lame and insipid. I had both of the "big reveals" figured out in book 1. Not sexy, just sexualized. Simply awful.

I've never read it because it sooooo isnt my thing, but there's so much love for Sandman that every now and then I think "I should read that" but then I remember I'm a (nearly) 40 year old adult and the odds are it wont appeal to me like it might have when I was an angsty teenager...

[font:Book Antiqua]John Byrne run in Wonder Woman,

and in general everything he did in the 90’s.

I was a huge fan of his work but then...[/font]

:facepalm:

I've been thinking about re-reading Next Men. Haven't touched that series in years. I wonder how it will hold up?

I re-read the entire run a few months ago and I still thought it was excellent. Mt wife actually asked to read it and she enjoyed it as well.

Wow, DKR, Watchmen, Swamp Thing....these are seminal works and considered sacred cows. I love these books and have read them 10x over.

I thought Gaiman's Sandman was over-rated a bit of a let down.

There is something to be said about the build up of hype...it can definitely cloud your expectations.

I've never read it because it sooooo isnt my thing, but there's so much love for Sandman that every now and then I think "I should read that" but then I remember I'm a (nearly) 40 year old adult and the odds are it wont appeal to me like it might have when I was an angsty teenager...

I started reading Sandman with Season of Mists, which I believe to be a good starting point for the series.

Later, I read the 1st story arc and I don't think I would have continued if I were to start the title from issue #1. Some story arcs and corresponding artwork were better than others. Some were short and self contained, others were too long, and linked into prior arcs or subsequent arcs.

I really like Alan Moore's Watchmen and Saga of the Swamp Thing. But trying to read V for Vendetta was probably worse than sitting in a dentists chair for me. I actually quit about 3/4th's of the way through it.

I don't know if V for Vendetta was my biggest disappointment though. Preacher, which I read the first TPB of recently, was a pretty big let down given how hyped up it had been. I have no desire to read more of that.

The Dark Knight Strkes Again was a pretty big disappointment too, and I went into that with the understanding that it wasn't going to be very good. It was worse than I imagined it was going to be.

Wow, DKR, Watchmen, Swamp Thing....these are seminal works and considered sacred cows. I love these books and have read them 10x over.

I thought Gaiman's Sandman was over-rated a bit of a let down.

There is something to be said about the build up of hype...it can definitely cloud your expectations.

That's kind of interesting becuase I don't recall much hype with DKR and SwampMoore were first solicited/released...the hype, I think, came after.

As I recall, Last Days of the Justice Society by Roy Thomas and Dave Ross was lined up for the 1st DC Prestige format book, but ultimately, the higher ups at DC reconsidered and applied the gamble to DKR instead. So Last Days of Justice Society page count was reduced and it was issued as a 68-page one-shot regular comic format.

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it was clearly Preacher. I bought a lot of the complete trades and read them over the course of a week I think. It was a chore. By the second or third trade, if memory serves correctly, it felt like I was reading the work of teenagers. The story tries SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to be shocking and I recall the art being pretty mediocre. It had enough of a story to keep me going to the end. But, if I didn't have all the trades, I doubt I would've kept reading.

How about you?

That's why I find most of Garth Ennis' work tedious and sophomoric. Sorry, but I just don't like it. (shrug)

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

I felt the same way for the same reasons. Not that the story was necessarily dated but I am sure it had more of an impact when it first came out rather than years later.

For those who said Fables, I seriously suggest you read past the first TPB. The first story arc, in my opinion, is not in the slightest a serious reflection of the series.

For me though it has to be Kingdom Come. I think I've just been so desensitized to superheroes that when I read it, all I could say was "ehh"