• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest disappointment of a series when you finally read it?

206 posts in this topic

Having gone back and re-reading every MAD magazine from issue #56 through #200, I can say that they're nowhere close to being as funny as they were when I was twelve.

Aside from the Don Martin stuff. :cloud9:

Big disappointment otherwise.

Having gone back and re-reading every MAD magazine from issue #56 through #200, I can say that they're nowhere close to being as funny as they were when I was twelve.

Aside from the Don Martin stuff. :cloud9:

Big disappointment otherwise.

They'll never be as good as when you first read them. But you still reread them all anyway....

Some stories have more impact on angsty anti-establishment teens (Sandman)

It impacted me because of the unbelievably rich interweaving of history, literature and world religion into a masterpiece of storytelling.

(thumbs u :luhv:

Got impacted.

One man's trash, what I collect rocks, as they say.

To me it depends on expectations, which could be hype in the press or it could be someone saying "you gotta read this" or "if you liked X, you'll love Y!" (I'm speaking more in algebraic terms than in literal titles) For me, it also depends on the mood I'm in. The two go together to some extent. If someone has told me that title X is a deep and mind-blowing read, then I'm likely to give it a try when I'm in a mood for deep and mind-blowing. If it doesn't strike me that way, I am likely to be disappointed.

I can't get into anything that Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison have written. I've tried numerous works at different times. I realize that to their fans, this means I simply don't like good comics. :) Everything I've read by them has been disappointing to me. Their work might be more enjoyable to me if I didn't know it was written by them.

I like unexpected entertainment.

DKR - God I remember the art being so terrible it was tough to read.

Chew - Sorry read it several times and still scratch my head

Age of Apocalypse - Again the art made it hard to decipher what was going on.

Anything John Byrne after early 90s. I think Namor was the last of his I enjoyed.

Power Company - Years ago by DC failed miserably I remember being so disappointed.

Miller's DD just didnt impress me. Decent, but no wow factor.

Brubaker's run on X-men. I think he tried I just didnt get it like a I did his Cap run. It was my last attempt at Uncanny.

Harbinger - It just didnt click with me. Bought the first trade read it and thought it was okay nothing that made me go way.

The Green Lantern / Green Arrow run by Adams and O'Neil.

As a big Neal Adams fan I have no complaints about the artwork, but it was very unfortunate that I first read the stories in 1980 during a period of hopelessness and recession. England was a fun place to live at the time. :facepalm: Anyway, the comics, then only around 10 years old, could not have possibly felt more superficial, out-of-date and irrelevant, and it was impossible for me to connect to them. I've never managed to get past this and enjoy the stories, sadly.

I like unexpected entertainment.

Yeah, that's why I chose DKR as my biggest let down. I don't think it was bad, but it wasn't the "Oh my god! If you love comics you HAVE to read this! I don't care if you don't like super heroes, this will change your mind." kind of story everybody told me it was.

The Frank Miller run of Daredevil.

Here's the funny thing - I got them when they were first published at a friend's recommendation, and loved them. They cemented DD as my favorite hero. I got away from collecting for a while, but a few years ago I decided to put together a complete run of DD, based on those old memories. Reading them from issue 1, I wondered what I would think when I got up to the issues that had first impressed me so much. Man - was that confusing. The writing seemed, well, lazy. Miller trashed vast swaths of established characterization to shoe-horn in "drama".

Just my two cents.