• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest disappointment of a series when you finally read it?

206 posts in this topic

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it was clearly Preacher. I bought a lot of the complete trades and read them over the course of a week I think. It was a chore. By the second or third trade, if memory serves correctly, it felt like I was reading the work of teenagers. The story tries SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to be shocking and I recall the art being pretty mediocre. It had enough of a story to keep me going to the end. But, if I didn't have all the trades, I doubt I would've kept reading.

How about you?

Really was disappointed in this.I loved the series when I was a lad, but as an adult it was disappointing. :sick:

9780785150343.jpg

I loved the series when I was a lad, but as an adult it was disappointing. :sick:
That's how I feel about Shadowhawk. First time I read it I was a kid and I thought it was groundbreaking. Then when I got back into comics the first thing I did was buy up the second and third series and re-read the whole stack. My opinion of the comic went from :o to lol

From hell. It was painful to read. The extended treatises on Victorian architecture bored me to tears and the in medias res plotting ruined all the suspense by revealing who the killer was.

I've read a lot of stories by Alan Moore and they were all disappointing, with the sole exception being The Killing Joke. I simply don't understand what others find appealing about his work. (shrug)

Akira. I appreciated a lot the first issues, as I read them in 1988-89, but when I patiently read the whole series I thought Otomo had no clear storyline in mind.

Well, I did not read Akira because it was hyped, I just picked up as in Italy we still did not have any japanese comic published (although we had all the 1970s robotic anime on TV), and it was a strong choice by Epic Comics.

From hell. It was painful to read. The extended treatises on Victorian architecture bored me to tears and the in medias res plotting ruined all the suspense by revealing who the killer was.

I've read a lot of stories by Alan Moore and they were all disappointing, with the sole exception being The Killing Joke. I simply don't understand what others find appealing about his work. (shrug)

Are you serious, or are you just saying this for shock value?

Are you serious, or are you just saying this for shock value?

Totally cereal.

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?...

Swamp Thing "American Gothic"...

Miracle Man...

all totally rad (thumbs u

The Walking Dead. And I'm a fan of all things zombie. I like the show and I actually enjoy reading the main Walking Dead thread here since I'm interested in the mania and fandom.

After hearing so much about this series, I finally broke down and bought the first trade. I thought the story was choppy and hard to follow at times. I love the TV show but I don't think I'll ever read the comic. (shrug)

TWD "choppy and hard to follow at times"? It's one of the more basic, simple reads out there. Kirkman writes as though he is speaking to 8 year olds half the time.

I can see "choppy" I guess as he tends to jump around to different characters every few pages but no more than your typical x-book or whatever.

I tend to see TWD as one of the lighter, easier reads each month because of how straight forward it is.

I find the Walking dead to be very immersive: it is written in a way that I the reader feel like I am actually there and a part of the adventure.

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?...

Swamp Thing "American Gothic"...

Miracle Man...

all totally rad (thumbs u

I would only add "Rites of Spring" from Swamp Thing 34.

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

+1000

I totally agree. I guess it was one of those books you had to read at the time, but has not aged well.

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

+1000

I totally agree. I guess it was one of those books you had to read at the time, but has not aged well.

-1000. You do not read Watchmen. It reads you.

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it was clearly Preacher. I bought a lot of the complete trades and read them over the course of a week I think. It was a chore. By the second or third trade, if memory serves correctly, it felt like I was reading the work of teenagers. The story tries SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to be shocking and I recall the art being pretty mediocre. It had enough of a story to keep me going to the end. But, if I didn't have all the trades, I doubt I would've kept reading.

How about you?

hm