• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious where you stand on CGC returns

18 posts in this topic

Just wondering where most Boardies stand on the accepting returns on CGC graded books?

I know on Ebay, most people say No Returns on 3rd Party Graded Books

Wondering what the consensous is here??

Example - You sell a graded book. Buyer sees scans and accepts the deal. Buyer gets book in hand and says that there is a flaw that they dont like on the book and would like to return it. The flaw can clearly be seen in the scan that they agreed to.

Kicker - In the couple weeks that it took for the deal to go down.. GPA dropped 20%

You should take a timely (14 days) return for any legitimate reason. If he gets the book back to you in the same condition as it was sent, give a full refund minus shipping. Feel free to add him to your blocked bidder list.

Such experiences are the cost of doing business by mail.

If you go the "all sales final" route on graded books, IMHO will cost you more sales than the trouble created by experiences like this one. I'm sure others disagree, though!

No, it doesn't make a difference. If the book is CGC graded, the grade is what it is. The fact that a scan was posted makes it that much more of a non-issue.

I disagree. A book should be able to be returned if a buyer isn't happy with it. I've bought probably over 100 slabs off boardies here and I have returned exactly one. Honestly, it was a book I REALLY wanted but when I got it in hand, I thought it was overgraded by at least 2 grades. I never would have bought it if I had it in hand.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the book in question didn't have a scan in the sales thread, just a picture that in my mind didn't truly reflect the faults. Either way, I think a book should be able to be returned wether slabbed or no as long as its IMMEDIATE. You should have 1 or at absolute most maybe 2 days to contact the seller and return it not wait around to see what happens with gpa for a week or two.

No, it doesn't make a difference. If the book is CGC graded, the grade is what it is. The fact that a scan was posted makes it that much more of a non-issue.

I disagree. A book should be able to be returned if a buyer isn't happy with it. I've bought probably over 100 slabs off boardies here and I have returned exactly one. Honestly, it was a book I REALLY wanted but when I got it in hand, I thought it was overgraded by at least 2 grades. I never would have bought it if I had it in hand.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the book in question didn't have a scan in the sales thread, just a picture that in my mind didn't truly reflect the faults. Either way, I think a book should be able to be returned wether slabbed or no as long as its IMMEDIATE. You should have 1 or at absolute most maybe 2 days to contact the seller and return it not wait around to see what happens with gpa for a week or two.

All fairness - Buyer did contact seller within a day of receiving book

But the defect in question be seen in the scan. Buyer may have not looked close enough.

A few people on here ask for Hi Res scans when spending alot on a book

What was the defect?

Does it make a difference - Honestly

Not really. Was just curious.

Personally, I try to provide all info that a seller might want before the transaction happens (list possible defects and markings, show scans, etc) but you just can't please everyone. In those few cases where the buyer isn't happy I'll do what I can to make them happy whether it's a return, a credit towards another book etc. Basically focus on the long term.

One thing that irks me though, and this sort of thing doesn't get mentioned much but it happens, is if someone returns the book because they thought it was going to upgrade but when they get it in hand they decide it won't and then want to return the book.

Unfortunately, that sort of thing is difficult to prove but it is a bit slimy when it happens.

Obviously it sucks if you're the seller but I think that should be able to be returned. Every sales thread I've ever done on here, I've always said I will return books no matter what if the buyer isn't happy. Personally, to me things like that is what separates the good sellers from the GREAT sellers (shrug)

Obviously it sucks if you're the seller but I think that should be able to be returned. Every sales thread I've ever done on here, I've always said I will return books no matter what if the buyer isn't happy. Personally, to me things like that is what separates the good sellers from the GREAT sellers (shrug)

Seller IS accepting a return in this instance, just curious where other people stood on this issue

Me personally - I feel that we as comic collectors, buyers, seller..... like it or not, have made CGC the be all end all of grading, so IMO if CGC calls a book a 9.2, its a 9.2.

Not all 9.2's are going to look the same, but it's still a 9.2 in CGC's eyes. Thats why seller provice scans or pics, so buyers can determine if its the kind of 9.2 that fits thier wants.

Ive never returned a CGC graded book because the buyer sold me exactly what I paid for

What was the defect?

Does it make a difference - Honestly

Not really. Was just curious.

Personally, I try to provide all info that a seller might want before the transaction happens (list possible defects and markings, show scans, etc) but you just can't please everyone. In those few cases where the buyer isn't happy I'll do what I can to make them happy whether it's a return, a credit towards another book etc. Basically focus on the long term.

One thing that irks me though, and this sort of thing doesn't get mentioned much but it happens, is if someone returns the book because they thought it was going to upgrade but when they get it in hand they decide it won't and then want to return the book.

Unfortunately, that sort of thing is difficult to prove but it is a bit slimy when it happens.

I agree.

As a seller, I've run into the CPR buyer who decides it won't make a good candidate and wants to return. If you have excellent scans and call out all the major defects, this is just slimy. But I've always accepted returns and eaten the original shipping (just part of the cost of doing business on eBay).

As a buyer, I'm amazed when I see sellers listing blurry pictures that only show the label and 2/3rds of the front cover. The grade is not the end of the story. There are many variations within a grade. Before I buy I want to see a good representation of the front and back of the book. When asked for additional photos or scans, most of these sellers either refuse or fail to respond.

I've never returned a CGC graded book either, but there are important things that aren't always visible on a scan, such as rusty staples, particularly on a GA book. Typically, I try to ask about such things before buying but if I didn't and the seller didn't mention it, I would feel justified in returning the book.

In a case like that, I would guess a buyer would win an eBay/PayPal dispute despite what the seller might have said about no returns in his listing.

Personally, I take returns for any reason. I've never had a slab returned except for one that had a small crack in the slab I didn't catch.

I suppose, if I suspected it was someone just hoping for an undergraded book for crack and resub, I'd still take the return but then consider blocking them from future purchases.

Comicana Direct offer returns on CGC graded books for a period of three months after purchase, providing goods are returned in exactly the same condition as when they were sold. Shipping will be at the buyer's expense.

If the return is necessary because of an error on our part - maybe information not offered at point of sale - we'll review and if fault is found, shipping both ways will also be refunded.

I know that Bob Storms also adopts this position on CGC graded items, as do a number of other quality dealers.