• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first problem with ebay buyer

317 posts in this topic

I am in a conundrum with a sale i made on ebay.

Believe it or not, i have been selling on there for years and only now run into my first real issue that i dont know what to do with.

Sold a book on there.....it is from a pedigree that has since been revoked by CGC, but the name of the collection was clearly stated in the ad.

Also i posted high res scans of the book which clearly show a crease in the cover.

The buyer messaged me this morning and said i misrepresented the item. He says he checked and the pedigree has been revoked so i shouldnt have used that term. In my opinion he could have checked this out before he bought the book.

Also he says that i didnt explain that there was a crease in the cover, even though the pictures clearly show that there is one.

My problem is this....he says he is unhappy but wants to keep the book and that i can make this right by giving him a 10% refund.

Is it just me or does that sound like someone who realized they may have overpaid for the book after the fact and wants to recoup some of his money?

I feel like i am being held hostage since if i dont pay it he will probably put in negative feedback.

Help?

Certainly sounds like a touch of buyer's remorse.

It's not clear to me from your post whether the Pedigree was revoked before or after you listed the item. Re the crease, without a link it's hard to see whether or not the pictures show it clearly, as you say.

Ask yourself whether it's worth the hassle and possibility of a neg to not give the refund and then proceed accordingly! And don't forget that you could also offer him a full refund in exchange for a return (which if you refuse to give him his 10% may be where you end up anyway if he rasises a case...)

I also sell on eBay and luckily haven't run into any problems yet either (knock on wood). If this were me though, I'd probably just politely ask the buyer to ship it back to me in the same condition/packaging for a full refund.

Since your descriptions in the listing were accurate, it does seem like they are just trying to get some money back or a cheaper deal on the book. On the other hand, if they aren't trying to get a better deal, then I think they only have themselves to blame for not knowing exactly what they were buying and not inspecting the pictures carefully. If you're really worried about the negative feedback though, just be extremely polite in the communication and also offer to cover the shipping costs back to you (consider it the cost of doing business).

He says he checked and the pedigree has been revoked so i shouldnt have used that term. In my opinion he could have checked this out before he bought the book.

Are you nuts? doh!

The buyer detrimentally relied on what you wrote - e.g., that the comic book was from a pedigree collection. It's on you as an eBay Seller to accurately describe your item. It's not on the eBay Buyer to discover a material fact that would have altered his decision to bid/win your auction. (tsk)

When was the pedigree revoked? Before, during or after the auction closed?

If you knew the pedigree was revoked during the auction, you should have killed (cancelled) the auction and relisted with the correct description.

If the pedigree was revoked before the auction started, you've committed a fraud of materially misrepresenting otherwise in your listing.

You should be happy he's only asking for 10%. You'll be very lucky not to get a negative feedback remark as well.

The guy paid for pedigree and got BS.

I also sell on eBay and luckily haven't run into any problems yet either (knock on wood). If this were me though, I'd probably just politely ask the buyer to ship it back to me in the same condition/packaging for a full refund.

Welcome to the Boards.

He says he checked and the pedigree has been revoked so i shouldnt have used that term. In my opinion he could have checked this out before he bought the book.

Are you nuts? doh!

The buyer detrimentally relied on what you wrote - e.g., that the comic book was from a pedigree collection. It's on you as an eBay Seller to accurately describe your item. It's not on the eBay Buyer to discover a material fact that would have altered his decision to bid/win your auction. (tsk)

When was the pedigree revoked? Before, during or after the auction closed?

If you knew the pedigree was revoked during the auction, you should have killed (cancelled) the auction and relisted with the correct description.

If the pedigree was revoked before the auction started, you've committed a fraud of materially misrepresenting otherwise in your listing.

You should be happy he's only asking for 10%. You'll be very lucky not to get a negative feedback remark as well.

The guy paid for pedigree and got BS.

Acting like a has become quite a common experience for you. Calling people nuts and tossing words out like fraud (not to mention calling Stan Lee "greedy") has you as the newest member of my "On Ignore" brigade. Awesome work, dude.

What pedigree was revoked? How does CGC notify people?

You can check for yourself.

CGC recognizes the following pedigree collections on the CGC label:

•Allentown

•Aurora

•Bethlehem

•Big Apple

•Boston

•Bowling Green

•Carson City

•Central Valley

•Chicago

•Cosmic Aeroplane

•Crowley

•Curator

•Davis Crippen “D” Copy

•Denver

•Don Rosa Collection

•Don/Maggie Thompson Collection

•Edgar Church (Mile High)

•Gaines File Copy

•Green River

•Hawkeye

•Kansas City

•Larson

•Lost Valley

•Mass. Copy

•Mohawk Valley

•Northford

•Northland

•Nova Scotia

•Oakland

•Ohio

•Okajima

•Pacific Coast

•Palo Alto

•Pennsylvania

•Recil Macon

•River City

•Rockford

•Rocky Mountain

•Salida

•San Francisco

•Savannah

•Spokane

•Suscha News

•Twilight

•Twin Cities

•Vancouver

•Western Penn

•White Mountain

•Windy City

•Winnipeg

Acting like a has become quite a common experience for you. Calling people nuts and tossing words out like fraud (not to mention calling Stan Lee "greedy") has you as the newest member of my "On Ignore" brigade. Awesome work, dude.

I could care less, Richard Head! You add absolutely nothing meaningful to the discussion.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. grandmaisalush_zpsd33d7450.gif

would love to see a link to the auction...

if the 10% discount request is more than the cost to cover return shipping offer a full refund and free return.

If it is less than the cost of return shipping give him the discount, unless you dont want to do that out of principle. Then just offer the full refund and free return and be done with him. You are out the cost of shipping, but you didnt let someone put one over on you.

Oh jeez I have a mile high 2 book (with certificate) that I was getting ready to sell. maybe I shouldnt advertise it as mile high 2?

I have a Mile High 2 book also. Marvel Team-Up 15 that was allegedly the best NM-M copy they found in the Mile High 2 collection. I have the certificate as well.

I think you can advertise it as such. Why not? You're not misrepresenting anything.

CGC won't recognize it, that's all, if you submit it.

If I ever sell the MTU 15 I have, it will be raw and I will advertise it as being from the Mile High 2 Collection and show a scan of the certificate.

Oh jeez I have a mile high 2 book (with certificate) that I was getting ready to sell. maybe I shouldnt advertise it as mile high 2?

the safe thing to do is use the word "Collection" instead of "pedigree".

Though its your listing, so you get to do what you want.

If you do decide to call it a pedigree, you might want to note that it is not a CGC recognized pedigree to avoid any buyers remorse/problems.

So what that CGC revoked the pedigree?

They are not the be-all, end-all.

I assume this was a raw book?

If you gave a condition description (F, VF, etc.) which took into account the crease and gave scans which readily showed it, you are in the clear. And I agree he is just fishing for a discount.

Go with the full refund for return in same condition. I would NOT offer to pay for return shipping, as it clearly is a case of buyer's remorse.

Offer refund in full for return of the item.

That's what I would do in a case where I felt I was not wrong in how I sold my item. If there's a problem, return it - end of story. That weeds out the clowns trying to weasel you out of a discount.

the safe thing to do is use the word "Collection" instead of "pedigree".

Though its your listing, so you get to do what you want.

If you do decide to call it a pedigree, you might want to note that it is not a CGC recognized pedigree to avoid any buyers remorse/problems.

+1

This is good advice.

Just list it as being from the Mile High 2 "Collection."

That's what I plan to do on eBay with my MTU 15. I will certainly show the scan of the certificate and explain CGC does NOT recognize it as a Pedigree.

FULL DISCLOSURE.