• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

I think these were reprints and as far as I know St. John did not have a superhero line unless you consider Mighty Mouse Superhero. They were known mostly for Romance and funny kids comics with some Horror and Crime.

BTW-Mile High has a GCE #1 for sale but has no scan. I'll bet its the United Features GCE though since no one has ever seen GCE 1-3 by St. John and there is only one #4 in the CGC census. I am now beginning to think that 1 and 2 don't exist from St. John and were just confused with the UFS versions and #3 might not exist by either publisher.

Another rare comic is The Funnies #22.. another that is missing in Gerber and in the census. However, this probably does exist as I have seen ads selling one before. Has anybody ever seen one?

Hard to find huh? I actually forgot I had this one. I picked it up from Lighthouse a few years ago. The cover's almost detached and the center wraps are detached. Aside from that it's in really good shape. Cover is still semi-glossy and the PQ is really great.

Archie_002.jpg

Ok -- tons of PMs have been coming in on this book. Some just asking if it's for sale others making outright offers and other others saying they will beat any price.

Yes, this book is for sale. But to be fair to all (since most of the PMs came in within an hour of each other) I will put it up on eBay later tonight. Let me get together some more pictures/scans and I will post the auction number once it's rolling.

Why would anyone care about Archie? He's not a superhero. Could someone please explain the fascination with this comic book. He's no Human Torch, that's for sure. Someone help out a new guy.

Comic books is more than just superheroes. To me, it sounds like you do not know much about the history of the comic book market.

Archies is one of only three publishers which have been putting out comics on a continual basis since the 1940's. I don't think I have to tell you who the other two publishers are. Early Archies are so tough to find in the marketplace in comparison to their superhero counterparts. Archies #2 and #3 are particularly hard to find in the marketplace. You'll probably find only one copy of Archie #2 for every few hundred of a Strange Tales issue that shows up in the marketplace, or for every 100,000 copies of Astonishing X-Men #1 if that is more your ball game.

Why would anyone care about Archie? He's not a superhero. Could someone please explain the fascination with this comic book. He's no Human Torch, that's for sure. Someone help out a new guy.

1. What Lou Fine said.

2. Pure Americana, plain and simple. First Teenage comic book

How man Human Torch comics do you see in line at the supermarket? None? How many Archie books? Plenty?

Beyond that Archie is a big part of the American experience over the past 60 years. Much bigger than the Human Torch.

Comics aren't just about superheroes, thankfully. Especially Golden Age books...

Sorry, that was a pretty stupid post I made. I guess I would be taken aback if someone made fun of the books I collect, so I apologise and stand corrected. I've been reading up a bit on Archie and now I understand a bit more why he's an Icon. So I guess I'll be bidding on that Archie 2 when it goes up on ebay.Looks like an interesting piece of history.

Here are the pictures and scans I'm putting in the auction. Please let me know if you would like to see anything else. Since this book is generating so much attention I want to make sure everyone has a chance to see everything they want.

In my first post I said the center 5 wraps are detached. That should have been center 4 wraps. Also note that these detached wraps are not torn at the staple holes. Each wrap just has 2 holes in where the staple once went thru -- odd.

Warning: Some of these scans are HUGE (~2Mb)

Small...

Front Scan

Back Scan

Front Photo

Center Wraps

Staple

HUGE... sumo.gif

Front Scan

Back Scan

Front Photo

Center Wraps

Staple

Wow, great scans! What grade would you assign that book. My guess would be good- but only because things are detached. Otherwise could have been a vg. Would a restorer be able to put that book back together without it being called restoration. Anyone have any thoughts on that. Is that book worth multiples of guide. If so how many. I'll be curious to see how much more you get on ebay compared to the private offers you got. If people wouldn't have talked about how rare the book was earlier would you have been more willing to take one of the private offers you got. Did people try to lowball you thinking you might not have known what you had.

Looks like you've covered everything.

I'll be interesting to see what this one goes for...especially if I end up as the high bidder! 893whatthe.gif