• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

What would have been the cover to Marvel Comics # 1, by Bill Everett.

That is awesome! 893applaud-thumb.gifTotally kicks butt over the actual cover, which I've always felt was pretty lame (and maybe that's why Timely always ran second to DC).

How's this for an interesting item?

marvelcomics1.jpg

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I absolutely love that piece and wish they used it for one of the Marvel Mystery covers or the Sub-Mariner's own title. hail.gifcloud9.gif Interesting that Everett drew him with his winged feet here but on Namor's first cover apperance on Marvel Mystery Comics #4 he does not have winged feet.

That is awesome! 893applaud-thumb.gifTotally kicks butt over the actual cover, which I've always felt was pretty lame (and maybe that's why Timely always ran second to DC).

I always loved the first cover but if they actually drew the Torch like he was portraited in subsequent issues instead of some long haired hippy it would have kicked some major arse.

Pretty lame? How about atrocious? The as published cover to Marvel Comics #1 almost makes no sense. What the heck is going ON here?

And yeah - it is awkward and ugy. (Sorry - just loathe that cover - always haved and always will).

Pretty lame? How about atrocious? The as published cover to Marvel Comics #1 almost makes no sense. What the heck is going ON here?

And yeah - it is awkward and ugy. (Sorry - just loathe that cover - always haved and always will).

As much as I appreciate Frank Paul (he did amazing SciFi covers) I have to agree with you on this: Marvel comics #1 with the Frank Paul cover is a misfit in the Timely realm. Everett should've gotten his cover published. I think I read somewhere why Paul's cover was chosen, but I can't remember why now. I think it was because he was an established & respected Pulp artist. Not sure though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[quote

As much as I appreciate Frank Paul (he did amazing SciFi covers) I have to agree with you on this: Marvel comics #1 with the Frank Paul cover is a misfit in the Timely realm. Everett should've gotten his cover published. I think I read somewhere why Paul's cover was chosen, but I can't remember why now. I think it was because he was an established & respected Pulp artist. Not sure though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

THERE! You SEE now the distance between comics and pulps! 27_laughing.gifgrin.gifsmile.gif

[quote

THERE! You SEE now the distance between comics and pulps! 27_laughing.gifgrin.gifsmile.gif

Nope! Nothing to see here,............. The reference was that, out of all the Timely covers out there, Paul's Marvel Comics # 1 cover is an eye-sore! makepoint.gifsumo.gif

[quote

Nope! Nothing to see here,............. The reference was that, out of all the Timely covers out there, Paul's Marvel Comics # 1 cover is an eye-sore! makepoint.gifsumo.gif

Dang ande dag nab it! I was referrng your because he was an established & respected Pulp artist frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifgrin.gif

[quote

Dang ande dag nab it! I was referrng your because he was an established & respected Pulp artist frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifgrin.gif

confused-smiley-013.gifWhat?!? They looked up to him, much as a child to a Parent! devil.gifmakepoint.gif

Oh, man that was fun! cloud9.gifyay.gif

Not to take the fun out of this, but this image is a fake.

First off, the name of the file is "detectivecomics1redone7rt.jpg"

Secondly, the left side lower corner of the book has been copied, flipped and pasted onto the right side lower corner to cover the banner. This is evident by the exact same wear on both side corners, just inverted.

Nice try though.

Ian,

What are you're thoughts on this book? Notice no blurb (the original has the cover blurb in the bottom right hand corner).

I was about to point out that it was a fake, when I noticed that someone else already had done.

Not to take the fun out of this, but this image is a fake.

First off, the name of the file is "detectivecomics1redone7rt.jpg"

Secondly, the left side lower corner of the book has been copied, flipped and pasted onto the right side lower corner to cover the banner. This is evident by the exact same wear on both side corners, just inverted.

Nice try though.

Good job, Lantern! thumbsup2.gif

This was posted a a Variant today in the Golden Forum. I was curious what others here would say. 893applaud-thumb.gif

marvelcomics1.jpg

I thought this was actually intended as the cover for Marvel Comics #2? Notice the December cover date. For the record, I actually like the Paul cover on Marvel #1. To each his own. tongue.gif

I thought this was actually intended as the cover for Marvel Comics #2? Notice the December cover date. For the record, I actually like the Paul cover on Marvel #1. To each his own. tongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

marvelcomics1.jpg

I actually like the Paul cover to Marvel Comics #1 too. I'm sure they chose it for dramatic effects, after all Superman was lifting cars over his head. Seeing a man on fire burning through a solid metal vault door is WAY more dramatic than Sub-mariner running somewhere!

West

actually like the Paul cover to Marvel Comics #1 too

So do I. There were better covers later, but the Marvel Comics #1 cover is pretty cool and iconic. I would love to own a copy.

marvelcomics1.jpg

The first time I saw this image was when it was being auctioned off years ago(Sotheby's maybe? Can't remember.). Anyway, the auction house had it listed as an unpublished cover to Marvel Comics #1, until someone noticed the month was wrong well after the auction catalog had been published.

I'm sure Timely would remember. West, am I getting this right?

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any disagreement (yet) over any of the lists posted. I'm also surprised that there haven't been more scans of some of the choices. To get the ball rolling, here's a scan of one of the rare DC's:

540299-New.Adv.26.jpg

That's a gorgeous book!

man, I hold my breath when I scan some of my 1960's Archie's insane.gif

The set that may be giving me the most trouble is Planet Comics. Every time I seem to find the issue that I need there is something major wrong with it. Someone cut out entire panels, dumped pots of glue on pages, whatever your nightmare can be, that's it. mad.gif