• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

Is that real? I recall seeing a thread about it before and hearing that a copy was on eBay. Well, real or fake, that is an amazing cover.

I obtained a scan of the cover from a reliable source two years ago, and no-one has ever been able to prove it's not real.

It's a mockup of the original artwork taped to any old Golden Age comic, but given that any original print probably disappeared sixty years ago, it's as real as you're gonna get.

Only cover art was created? I assume it was supposed to be an ashcan like the second issue. Was the second issue released on the stands? I find this stuff fascinating....

Only cover art was created? I assume it was supposed to be an ashcan like the second issue. Was the second issue released on the stands? I find this stuff fascinating....

The evidence is that the number 2 was given limited newsstand distribution on the east coast only, to see if a comic with black and white interiors would sell.

As there seem to be eleven copies, that's far far more than any ashcan.

The evidence is that the number 2 was given limited newsstand distribution on the east coast only, to see if a comic with black and white interiors would sell.

As there seem to be eleven copies, that's far far more than any ashcan.

Interesting...thanks for the info. Anyone know of any websites devoted to rare/scare comics or golden age in general? I would like to learn more....

Interesting...thanks for the info. Anyone know of any websites devoted to rare/scare comics or golden age in general? I would like to learn more....

Here are a couple:

Mike's Amazing World of DC's

and

Timely Comics Web Page

and for Ditko Lovers

DITKO Looked Up

hi.gif

I believe I posted this before but according to Overstreet issue no.10, Double Action 1 was first rediscovered in 1979 with a group of 4 Double Action 2's with white pages. That version of Double Action 1 has a b/w cover that was saddle stitched on a coverless comic with the 1st and last page missing.

I believe I posted this before but according to Overstreet issue no.10, Double Action 1 was first rediscovered in 1979 with a group of 4 Double Action 2's with white pages. That version of Double Action 1 has a b/w cover that was saddle stitched on a coverless comic with the 1st and last page missing.

Were they both thought to be ashcans for awhile there? I recently returned to golden age collecting after not paying much attention to the scene for a number of years, and on scanning these boards and seeing them mentioned I was vaguely surprised that people seemed to be discussing at least the #2 as an actual release.

In any case, what is the thinking behind the idea that #2 recieved limited release? I'm curious about what evidence has surfaced. Or is it simply the fact that a few other copies have surfaced?

Yes but was the cover the same as this colour scan ????

If so, then why is this in colour and that was in black and white ????

In any case, what is the thinking behind the idea that #2 recieved limited release? I'm curious about what evidence has surfaced. Or is it simply the fact that a few other copies have surfaced?

Rich Muchin was very certain of his facts that it was a tryout on the east coast only. I have heard this from many other independant sources also. It was limited to cities in the tri-State area.

I don't know. The Overstreet doesn't say what the cover looks like. It does say that issue 2 is the same cover as the Adventure so I'm guessing that Issue 1 has a cover that wasn't used in any other book. For all we know it could have a different cover than yours. It wouldn't be the first time an achcan had different covers with the same title.

I would track down Bob Overstreet and see what he knows.

This reminds me of Motion Picture Funnies 2 & up, where covers were found but no interiors were ever finished to put them on. But these covers never had the chance to be married to a comic.

I always thought that the condition on one or more of the surviving copies implied that there was some newstand distribution

I don't know. The Overstreet doesn't say what the cover looks like. It does say that issue 2 is the same cover as the Adventure so I'm guessing that Issue 1 has a cover that wasn't used in any other book. For all we know it could have a different cover than yours. It wouldn't be the first time an achcan had different covers with the same title.

I would track down Bob Overstreet and see what he knows.

This reminds me of Motion Picture Funnies 2 & up, where covers were found but no interiors were ever finished to put them on. But these covers never had the chance to be married to a comic.

I believe they were only the front cover (no back cover printed). Not even a wrap.

I believe they were only the front cover (no back cover printed). Not even a wrap.

I think that's similar to Doble Action 1.

I think there was only a cover, although the interior was to have been Doctor Occult reprints.

That is correct. The one is the infamous promotional giveaway. The covers of the next 3 were only the front. Here is a link to the original art for #2.

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=39725&GSub=5027&GCat=0&UCat=0

That is correct. The one is the infamous promotional giveaway. The covers of the next 3 were only the front. Here is a link to the original art for #2.

oops.....http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=39554&GSub=5092&GCat=0&UCat=0

oops.....http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=39554&GSub=5092&GCat=0&UCat=0

Linkage

My work here is done!