• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

and the one you've all left out which is rarer than any you've mentioned apart from New Adventure 26, and that's New Comics 2.

Which is MILES rarer than New Fun 2.

Sorry. I posted this before I carried on reading and saw that several of you had indeed mentioned it after all.

Hi Metarog

I reckon the DC 1950s giveaway comic to promote the comic code when it was created, called "What Do You Know About This Comic's Seal Of Approval" is even rarer than the New Adventure 26. At least I know of three copies of New Adventure 26 (the one DTA tried to rip me off with, the one owned by rarehighgrade which is the Mile High copy, and the one I assume Christine Farrell must have), whereas I know of NO-ONE who has ever even seen this Comic Code DC comic.

Hi Ian, I am guessing you are replying to a post I had on here a few months ago? Lots of these lists have merit and if we are counting giveaways you would have to include those god-awful rare World's Finest giveaways as well. I have never seen one for sale before.

Besides DCs you have to consider some of the smaller publishers that probably had poor distribution back in the day. If Girls Love #5 is rare con you imagine some of those Teen-age Diary Secrets from St. John? Some of these were only verified as existing in the past decade or so. I also assume that the atrition rate among Romance comics is very high.

Good Luck Ian. thumbsup2.gif

and the one you've all left out which is rarer than any you've mentioned apart from New Adventure 26, and that's New Comics 2.

Which is MILES rarer than New Fun 2.

Ian;

In full agreement with you here. Over the years, I have seen far more copies of New Fun #2 for sale than New Comics #2.

In fact, I have never seen a decent copy of New Comics #2 for sale. Only copy I ever saw was a low grade copy back in the early 90's.

Has there ever been a decent copy available through Heritage yet?

Lots of these lists have merit and if we are counting giveaways you would have to include those god-awful rare World's Finest giveaways as well. I have never seen one for sale before.

My friend Jerome Wenker has one of them, "Make Way For Youth", and I have a colour photocopy of the entire issue.

In fact, I have never seen a decent copy of New Comics #2 for sale. Only copy I ever saw was a low grade copy back in the early 90's.

Has there ever been a decent copy available through Heritage yet?

Mine is the Lost Valley copy.

It was originally slabbed before I removed it.

And for sheer rarity don't forget the controversial Gaines/All American comic "Narrative Illustration".

And how rare is "How You Can Defend Your Home", which I don't have ?????

Nice New Adventure 27, Bitman2. That's a great pre-hero cover.

Yes that's another copy which I didn't know existed.

Which means that 27 is nowhere near as rare as 26. My friend Richard Makinson also saw a 27 for sale at the New York con that he went to a few weeks ago.

Re -- New Comics #2

Heritage has never sold a copy (to date).

Gerber rates it "only" a 7.

Two copies have been slabbed by CGC, but

none is higher than 2.0.

I have seen a couple of copies for sale, but

the only copy that I remember seeing in

person (as opposed to in ads) was a fairly

nice copy that I saw back in around 1978.

It was about a Fine. That copy hasn't

surfaced for sale since then, to my knowledge.

I had so many opportunities to buy that issue!

The Carters (Overstreet #3) rated New Comics #2 as

the third rarest pre-hero DC comic.

Frank

Two copies have been slabbed by CGC, but

none is higher than 2.0.

Mine was slabbed and I thought it was higher than a 2. Maybe it wasn't ????

Did you send back the label when you cracked your copy, Ian? They will remove it from the census if you did that. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi Metarog

I reckon the DC 1950s giveaway comic to promote the comic code when it was created, called "What Do You Know About This Comic's Seal Of Approval" is even rarer than the New Adventure 26. At least I know of three copies of New Adventure 26 (the one DTA tried to rip me off with, the one owned by rarehighgrade which is the Mile High copy, and the one I assume Christine Farrell must have), whereas I know of NO-ONE who has ever even seen this Comic Code DC comic.

Hi Ian, I am guessing you are replying to a post I had on here a few months ago? Lots of these lists have merit and if we are counting giveaways you would have to include those god-awful rare World's Finest giveaways as well. I have never seen one for sale before.

Besides DCs you have to consider some of the smaller publishers that probably had poor distribution back in the day. If Girls Love #5 is rare con you imagine some of those Teen-age Diary Secrets from St. John? Some of these were only verified as existing in the past decade or so. I also assume that the atrition rate among Romance comics is very high.

Good Luck Ian. thumbsup2.gif

680264-TADiarySecrets9.JPG

hi.gif

680264-TADiarySecrets9.JPG.f137a399fef247803d692aaadbf9e490.JPG

Detective 24 was one of the hardest to locate for me and in 10 years of searching I only found the one I bought. It was overgraded and overpriced, but still worth it.

New Adventure 27 was never that rare. I have owned three of them over the years. Likewise New Comics 2 isn't rare either. I saw several New Adventure 26's but none recently. Should have bought one when I had the chance.

At the end of the day, there is no rarer Golden Age DC than this, the only Gerber 11.

679985-DoublAct1.jpg

Is that real? I recall seeing a thread about it before and hearing that a copy was on eBay. Well, real or fake, that is an amazing cover.

Is that real? I recall seeing a thread about it before and hearing that a copy was on eBay. Well, real or fake, that is an amazing cover.

I obtained a scan of the cover from a reliable source two years ago, and no-one has ever been able to prove it's not real.

It's a mockup of the original artwork taped to any old Golden Age comic, but given that any original print probably disappeared sixty years ago, it's as real as you're gonna get.