• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

I'll hazard a guess at between 800.00 and 1100.00, mostly because of the interest generated and because some people have insisted that the book is rare, rightly or wrongly, possibly both.Since there are no high grade Archie 2's out there, the market is strong even for low grades.The page quality is supposed to be off white so that should generate some extra interest to the collector who may want to have some work done on it. What about you, I imagine you already have one, what do you think it will go for?

I do already have one that looks very similar to this copy--although that won't stop me from bidding on this one devil.gif I really don't know what it will go for. Since so few of them come up for sale, I would think that a bidding war could get it to the prices you mentioned.

I am intrigued by your comment about this book's rarity. Care to elaborate?

BTW, I have seen one very high grade copy of #2. Unfortunately, it was 20 years ago and the guy wanted $1000 for it. More than my poor college student self could afford at the time frown.gif

I don't think that Archie 2 is any more scarce than 1-5, or at least 1-3. 7 Years ago, right when the Archie craze started heating up, there were a lot of low grade 2's floating around. But people bought them up and are holding on to them both for their collections and also for speculation. There are also many more yet to be discovered. Scarce? Yes. But not rare. Anytime I had trouble finding a book to fill a run, I would think that it was scarce or rare, but as soon as I found one, more would start turning up. They're not as plentifull as ASM 2, but they're out there.

I agree with you that #2 is not necessarily any scarcer than #1 or #3. It is certainly more difficult to find than #1, but I'm sure that has more to do with their relative values than their relative scarcities.

The last issue I needed to complete my set was #6 so that's my "scarcest" issue grin.gif

It's been my experience that 1 through 8 are the numbers I rarely see at shows or on ebay, with 1, 2, 3 and 6 being the toughest. I don't think that I would call any Archie issue "rare" however.

5 use to be mine and 7 was hard for another collector I knew. I collect Top Notch Comics also, and 13 was my nemisis for quite a while, now I have 3 of them. #31 and #35 are all the Top Notch I need now as I just recently aquired a low grade# 39 with half the back cover missing. As soon as I find the two I'm missing they'll start showing up all over the place.

Sorry, that was a pretty stupid post I made. I guess I would be taken aback if someone made fun of the books I collect, so I apologise and stand corrected. I've been reading up a bit on Archie and now I understand a bit more why he's an Icon. So I guess I'll be bidding on that Archie 2 when it goes up on ebay.Looks like an interesting piece of history.

Don't feel too bad about it. I'm still trying to figure out why Little Lulu's sell as well as they do. I mean, I understand Wonder Woman 1-125 are great sellers, But LITTLE LULU?,.........Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Somebody throw me a bone on that one!?! 893frustrated.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

I'm still trying to figure out why Little Lulu's sell as well as they do. I mean, I understand Wonder Woman 1-125 are great sellers, But LITTLE LULU?,.........Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Somebody throw me a bone on that one!?! 893frustrated.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Have you read Little Lulu? Definitely one of the best Golden Age titles IMO.

Of course, I collect Archie...

Sorry, that was a pretty stupid post I made. I guess I would be taken aback if someone made fun of the books I collect, so I apologise and stand corrected. I've been reading up a bit on Archie and now I understand a bit more why he's an Icon. So I guess I'll be bidding on that Archie 2 when it goes up on ebay.Looks like an interesting piece of history.

Don't feel too bad about it. I'm still trying to figure out why Little Lulu's sell as well as they do. I mean, I understand Wonder Woman 1-125 are great sellers, But LITTLE LULU?,.........Not that there's anything wrong with it.

What I'm wondering is what Wonder Woman has to do with Little Lulu.

It's at 504.00! Now I have a question. Would anyone have this book restored? I think that slight resto could just bring it to a vg and moderate to a fine. Another alterative would be to reattach the centerfolds yourself since it looks like they just came loose without paper loss. What would you do if it sold at the price it's at now as far as resto goes compared to if it sold for 800.00?

I own a copy of All Winners Comics #2 (CGC 8.0), and a copy of All Select Comics #3 (CGC). Both are unrestored and the second highest graded for each title. It seems to me that there are less than 10 copies graded for most of the All Select books. Is this title generally hard to find?