• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is the reason because I don't hang up my art to the wall.

42 posts in this topic

Just take a look at this image of a piece auctioned in eBay right now.

According to the holes in the corners, it looks like the owner had it pinned to the wall for decades, and now it hurts to see how it yellowed and its poor condition. Specially when I have fond memories of this run.

I'm aware that there is antiUV glass, but it's very expensive and you can't find it in small towns like the one I live. So my art is and will be inside of shelves.

I know that there were worst samples than this one, but I think that it's good to remind about the consequences of sunlight on the art.

buscemasalrom37pg12.jpg

Oh my!

You can get ready made frames with UV protective glass and all you need to do is get the mat cut to the right size. Can't think of the name brand off hand - but I'll let you know. It's not more than $50 for the frame and $10 for a mat and cut. Don't hide your art in shelves!

Philip, in my small town in Spain I can't find something similar, and if I have to pay postage, it'd cost about $100 each. For this quantity, I could buy very nice art, so I'll go the route pointed out by Dave and print the art with my large format printer.

For art you will never get your hands on in a million years a copy is nice to display

IMAGE_6C082608-1E6F-479D-946C-0BF17955D089.JPG

For the art that you do own can you really tell the difference if it is a photocopy? Plus this saves me from spending $100 vs $20 in framing fees in uv glass & acid free mat. Plus you don't have to worry about the word bubbles falling off while in the frame.

IMAGE_4357484B-FC65-4B9A-9EF4-2369B1167B60.JPG

For art you will never get your hands on in a million years a copy is nice to display

IMAGE_6C082608-1E6F-479D-946C-0BF17955D089.JPG

For the art that you do own can you really tell the difference if it is a photocopy? Plus this saves me from spending $100 vs $20 in framing fees in uv glass & acid free mat. Plus you don't have to worry about the word bubbles falling off while in the frame.

IMAGE_4357484B-FC65-4B9A-9EF4-2369B1167B60.JPG

What type of paper did you use to print them on? As well, how did you manage to find life size scans of those pieces and where did you print them? Lastly, where did you frame them? Thanks.

Strathmore 11x17

Large photocopier @ Staples

The copied 1st page AF 15 came from the Library of Congress. You set an appointment to view the pages, but they have digital copies u can download at the terminal no links on the Internet. each page was 150mb in size it took a while to download them all @ 4.5 gb at the terminal.

The 2nd page I actually got from Alex Saviuk himself at the VA Comicon

IMG00017-20101121-1035.jpg

I framed the pages myself with frames I bought from Michaels art craft store. For the acid free museum quality frames they wanted $250 after labor & everything each. So I took the DIY route & bought $35 frames. I will eventually get around to getting the original pieces framed up the right way with museum quality mats & metal label plates & printed page off to the right, but right now the originals are in Itoya folders.

Strathmore 11x17

Large photocopier @ Staples

Thanks, what type of Strathmore 11x17 did you use: Bristol, Drawing, Vellum, Mixed Media, 200, 300, 500, ....??? As well, did Staples give you a problem copying onto that type of board or printing copyrighted material?

The yellow pad 300 series I think also used Carson paper on some frames but can't remember which. Staples did not give me too much trouble since I had the original & digital file all ready to go & I took the copies next door to Michaels to pop the copy into a frame

Thanks, now I have to find some digital copies of some OA. Last questions, do they print it in color or b&w and how do you make sure your digital pictures are the right size and don't come out distorted when printed? Is there a specific picture quality you look for or format it to, picture size you look for or make it and so on, e.g. AF15, how did you make sure it came out crisp and looking like the original when printed on the 11x17?

Both color & b/w. just scaled the image it's not an exact copy there is some white around the edges. A lot of time on photoshop & saved the image as a tiff file. It's best not to mess with the scan too much I only cropped the edges.

The copied 1st page AF 15 came from the Library of Congress. You set an appointment to view the pages, but they have digital copies u can download at the terminal no links on the Internet. each page was 150mb in size it took a while to download them all @ 4.5 gb at the terminal.

Hmm, that would be a great resource to add to bittorrent.... :)

Hmm, that would be a great resource to add to bittorrent.... :)

Exactly what I was thinking

When the art was donated the only requests that Marvel made was for a set of high res scans and that the full scans not be avail on the Internet. I would not put them up.

John

Sorry I don't have anything closer-up than a room shot:

ballsroom.jpg

If you really want to go inexpensive while displaying your OA, I get them matted and hinge-mounted on acid-free foam core, then shrink wrapped. Then I take two plastic mirror clips - one on top, one on bottom (you can kinda see them in the pic) - and hang them on the wall. They mats are light enough to not pull out the screws, they won't let the art fall, and I can change out the pieces on the wall without having to redrill holes, because I get the same size mat cut every time I go to the frame shop. Just loosen, pull out the art, put a different one in and re-tighten the mirror clips.

Cost: $20 per piece. Not as awesome as framing, but I have lots of OA, and I'm not framing it all - but I do want them protected. This was a good solution for me.