• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is the reason because I don't hang up my art to the wall.

42 posts in this topic

Pity, I was looking forward to some close ups. :(

If I remember, I'll take a couple shots tonight when I get home to show the are and the clips.

If I remember, I'll take a couple shots tonight when I get home to show the are and the clips.

Please do. I would like to see this setup as it may work for my needs as well.

The copied 1st page AF 15 came from the Library of Congress. You set an appointment to view the pages, but they have digital copies u can download at the terminal no links on the Internet. each page was 150mb in size it took a while to download them all @ 4.5 gb at the terminal.

Hmm, that would be a great resource to add to bittorrent.... :)

Exactly what I was thinking

When the art was donated the only requests that Marvel made was for a set of high res scans and that the full scans not be avail on the Internet. I would not put them up.

John

Wont be. There was a reason that you had to get an account, make an appointment, sit at a terminal & download the high rez photos to thumbstick. Plus what better reason to visit the nation's capital a pilgrimage to view the AF15.

Some have posted pic on google just not high rez ones just do a search.

The complete set was published in the SpM Masterworks TPB, but printing sucked and in my copy pages had a blue tone with poor color register. Nothing close to the Artist's Editions published by IDW, although the comments by Blake Bell were very interesting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marvel-Masterworks-Amazing-Spider-Man-Volume/dp/0785136924

Please do. I would like to see this setup as it may work for my needs as well.

Pretty disappointed with the iPhone's camera - I should have pulled out my Canon to do the job, I apologize for the crappy picture.

Anyways - here's how the clips mount. You'll need to measure your spacing from top to bottom accurately - I usually mark, drill and mount my bottom clip to the wall, then measure up so the artwork slides in from the side, fits nice and snug with a little bit of slack in case the next art I put in has a little variance in the way the mat was cut.

clips.JPG

The room he hung his art in looked like a basement so perhaps he doesn't have a UV problem.

Exactly. Going back to the OP's original topic - there is no accounting for knowing how to take care and respect art, everyone is different. I would guess the biggest deterrent for conservation framing is the cost. The solution I posted up is a cheaper alternative to people who don't want to blow hundreds, if not a thousand bucks on framing 10 pieces of art. I'm barely into $200 for my ten pieces, and they are protected, preserved and displayed in my cool, dry, temperature-controlled basement.

So, in a way it does address the UV problem, because most of the time UV issues are due to people not knowing how to care for art, or they are too cheap to do something about it. I worked as a framer for many years. I know what framing costs, and now that I'm on the "outside" and have to pay retail, I really don't pay for framing all that often. Yeah, I'm cheap - but part of it is I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks on new OA than on framing the OA I already have.

Well, that's it. Time to get rid of the light bulbs! I guess the only real safe way to view artwork is in the dark, inside with no risk of sunlight or UV from light bulbs. ;)

I personally live by the rule: Don't put your art in a window, or put a spotlight on it 6" from the surface.

Better yet, go to a Staples or similar retail store that provides high quality photocopying, make nice quality photocopies of your art and display that. Keep your OA in a dark, cool, safe place.

^^this is what i actually do to my golden age art, kinkos copy goes in the wall OA goes in the porfolio. (thumbs u

Better yet, go to a Staples or similar retail store that provides high quality photocopying, make nice quality photocopies of your art and display that. Keep your OA in a dark, cool, safe place.

^^this is what i actually do to my golden age art, kinkos copy goes in the wall OA goes in the porfolio. (thumbs u

Just what I was telling someone via PM. The average person can't tell the difference and if someone REALLY wants to see the original I'll just pull out the portfolio for them. (thumbs u (thumbs u

I do the high dpi photocopy route myself. I have three original pages: two from Dark X-Men signed by Leonard Kirk, and one unsigned Witchblade Vol 1 Iss 56 Pg 19. The three originals are in the art folder, the three 11x17 copies are on the wall in Michael's cheap-o frames. I only have one piece in museum quality anti UV glass, and that's a custom done dual art 11x17 of Witchblade done by Francis Manapul and Marcus To. No other piece like it exists in the world, and it's done in pencils, so it deserved the highest quality protection.

I'll get some pictures tonight (thumbs u

Once did that with my baseball cards that I had on display, only to see a Babe Ruth xerox disappear during a party. Wish I could've been there when he sold it.

Once did that with my baseball cards that I had on display, only to see a Babe Ruth xerox disappear during a party. Wish I could've been there when he sold it.

Wow, good thing it was only a xerox!

I have six Marvel silver age pages framed and hanging on my wall for over 10 years now. They look great and I admire them daily. They haven't yellowed and I much prefer looking at them over a photocopy.

Since this topic is reactivated, let me tell another horror story, this time very close to me.

When John and Virginia Romita attended to the Barcelona Con (Spain) back at 1988, John carried a folder with a few daily strips which he gave away for free in special cases.

Since my brother was one of his greatest fans, he was so kind to give him a beautiful daily strip fully drawn by him with Peter but no SpM. My brother also asked him another one for a close friend, and John, with endless patience, give him another daily strip, this time drawn by Fred Kida and embellished by him. But this wasn't enough for the hunger of my brother because he wanted really bad a drawing of MJ, so John promised him to make him a drawing when he returned to the states. Of course, John was true to his word and sent him a beautiful drawing which was eventually published in the JR Sketchbook published by Vanguard (page 13, at the top).

The horror story comes when this friend of my brother posted a pic of his most prized pieces hang at the wall, and this strip penciled by Kida was there.

Since I was very interested on it because I totally forgot about it and was curious, he very kindly gave it for free to me, because he knew that I'd take care of it better than him. The reason of it was that he, totally well intended, added an adhesive film over all of the strip to protect it and pasted it down on foam board. As disclaimer, I have to say that this guy has no more pieces of original art and he has absolutely no knowledge about the hobby or how to preserve paper, as any average people would have.

I'll never sell this piece because it was a gift by Romita to him, and a gift to me by this friend. Of course, I'll keep it in the closet forever, because it already had its share of sunlight.

romitajuananpic.jpg

My brother is the one at the left.

romitajordiraimonroke.jpg