• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny Avengers... I think not.

137 posts in this topic

Creativity is dead in comics so this is the only way they can sell new books.

[font:Book Antiqua]I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU IN THIS POINT...[/font]

(tsk)

Without variant cover revenue, the sales figures would be grim.

This.

Late to the party, but not a big fan of the new team.. That said those JSC variants are pretty sick. Should have just stopped at those. Most of these are garbage.

I actually didn't look at any of the covers until just now.

I shamefully admit that I will be targeting the 9.8 CGC SS versions of the Campbell books. Mostly because JSC has never done an X-Men team shot (only one or two characters). It's kinda awesome.

Sighhhhhhh. I'm a sheep, and Marvel is the shepherd.

lol

Those marketing guys are smart.

Late to the party, but not a big fan of the new team.. That said those JSC variants are pretty sick. Should have just stopped at those. Most of these are garbage.

I actually didn't look at any of the covers until just now.

I shamefully admit that I will be targeting the 9.8 CGC SS versions of the Campbell books. Mostly because JSC has never done an X-Men team shot (only one or two characters). It's kinda awesome.

Sighhhhhhh. I'm a sheep, and Marvel is the shepherd.

lol

Those marketing guys are smart.

I tell you what's bad - I'm in advertising and marketing, and I really, really dislike it when I become a victim of my own profession. But hey, at least it's proof that it works and justifies my paycheck!

Well, it's advertising that showcased the images, and it's marketing that helps ensure that other suckers know that you can spend more money on the same comic.

I don't mind the variant madness, but when it masks how poorly comics are actually selling, then yeah, I'm not a big fan.

But you're not in this case. You've seen two covers that you like, and you want to buy them both to enjoy. I don't see how that makes you a victim of advertising.

I'm buying three issues of the same book because I like the covers. I am falling victim to the premise that if Marvel repackages the same product, collectors will buy more than one issue.

Why couldn't they make one cover issue #1, one cover issue #2 and one cover issue #3? Because they can get me to buy all those up front with issue #1, presuming that I will buy issues #2 and #3 regardless of what is on the cover. In my case, they get 5x the money for only 3x the product investment. Worst case scenario, they get 3x the money for 1x the investment - so it's a short-term win or a long-term win for them whether I buy issue #1 or buy the entire run.

It's okay, I can admit that I'm being 3 copies of the same issue - but I'm a willing victim of that marketing tactic, and I will enjoy the books entombed in plastic with JSC signature on them like the true fanboy I am.

18 different covers huh? And what's the price per issue these days, 2.99?

A vs X hooked me for $4 each issue - I'm guessing this will be the same.

So, $72 dollars (or just shy of that if each issue is $3.99) that I won't spend on this and instead will spend it on 30+ year old comics. :cloud9::whee:

So, $72 dollars (or just shy of that if each issue is $3.99) that I won't spend on this and instead will spend it on 30+ year old comics. :cloud9::whee:

(thumbs u

Now, THAT is the way to look at it.

:idea:

Marketing ploy.

Hologram covers prevent pressing.

\

ooh, ooh, are refractor or lenticular covers next? :P

Personally, I'm waiting for Psycho-frakulator covers.

What a shattering disappointment that must have been for you - assuming you read them.

What a shattering disappointment that must have been for you - assuming you read them.

Actually I kinda liked it - I wouldn't say it was stellar, but it wasn't as boring as other X-crossovers.

There's no way they're all going to be $4. You're going to have at least a handful of chase variants that sell for $50-$100 because the world make no sense.

:idea:

Marketing ploy.

Hologram covers prevent pressing.

\

ooh, ooh, are refractor or lenticular covers next? :P

Personally, I'm waiting for Psycho-frakulator covers.

Still got Frakulated!