• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny Avengers... I think not.

137 posts in this topic

I think your categories are pretty much right - although your set 1 is probably in an even smaller minority than set 4!

I'm not arguing that producing so many variants is "wrong" per se - personally I like having the choice of a load of covers but I'll only take one. And if it brings more people into stores, and lets stores stock other titles, then fine by me. But I feel bad for the people that suffer financially and end up feeling resentful towards a title that they really like because of it.

I was trying to think of another industry that has a similar system and I couldn't - magazines don't tend to have lots of variant covers because readers aren't invested enough in the titles to make them want to buy a complete set. People are emotionally invested in/connected to the bands that they like, but albums are too expensive to make it likely that people would buy multiple copies if they had different covers. Same goes to an even greater extent for video games.

Actually, I can remember when records, particularly singles were released with variant covers in an attempt to get a high entry position in the charts. Downloads and the lessening importance of the top 40 has seen this decline, although many bands these days have started releasing variant vinyl editions to go alongside cd and digital versions of the same material. Again with the artwork and physical desirability being the motivating force for purchase.

I used to collect Human League, Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode CD singles.

It wasn't just the covers to the singles that were different. You also received different B-sides and different remixes depending on whether you bought CD1 or CD2. It wasn't the same songs (interior story and art) released with different cover.

And yes, I bought both CD singles and sometimes the US maxi single as well, but at least I received something different on each disc.

Well, with comics, you only have the words and the pictures so the different cover art is the selling point. At which point adult free will should be enough to make the decision of whether to purchase or not relatively simple.

I just find this whole 'evil corporation forcing consumers to buy their products' argument a little weak. No one is being mislead. People know what they are getting and are free to buy in or not.

This boils down to differing pov's. What's right for me isn't right for you. That's perfectly okay and like I say, I don't think you can distill this down to simple right and wrong. Good discussion though.

And yes, I bought both CD singles and sometimes the US maxi single as well, but at least I received something different on each disc.

Either way, someone will be unhappy. There are more consumers than collectors, and a consumer may resent having to buy 2 different CDs (or different variant covers which may have different content inside) in order to get all the content. To a consumer, that reeks of a money grab too.

I just find this whole 'evil corporation forcing consumers to buy their products' argument a little weak. No one is being mislead. People know what they are getting and are free to buy in or not.

No one is being mislead - but some are being taken advantage of. I think that's ultimately what people object to.

In the worst cases, there's a real question about how "free" people are to make choices. And I think publishers know this - they know their market and its composition.

Marvel does variant covers of hardcovers like Masterworks, don't they? I wonder how many people buy multiple copies of those? My guess would be that it's a far lower proportion of the HC buyers than of the floppy buyers, because of the cost.

I don't. Just the standard version. They may have lower print runs and fetch higher prices, but I can't stand the look of the marble effect variants.

History has shown that manufactured collectible comics due to multiple variant covers = Bad

Manufactured collectible comics due to well written stories and cleverly designed new characters = Good

Creativity is dead in comics so this is the only way they can sell new books.

I say let it crash. The ship will be righted and it will correct itself.

...or it wont.

I won't shed a tear either way.

I concur.

Bite me Marvel.

lobo.gif

Lobo. :cloud9:

[font:Book Antiqua]Hey Mr. Diggler...!

I was watching you Avatar,

and decide to raise the bar...

Canada Flag...![/font]

:headbang:

CanadaFlagGirl01.jpg

Awesome.

I think your categories are pretty much right - although your set 1 is probably in an even smaller minority than set 4!

I'm not arguing that producing so many variants is "wrong" per se - personally I like having the choice of a load of covers but I'll only take one. And if it brings more people into stores, and lets stores stock other titles, then fine by me. But I feel bad for the people that suffer financially and end up feeling resentful towards a title that they really like because of it.

I was trying to think of another industry that has a similar system and I couldn't - magazines don't tend to have lots of variant covers because readers aren't invested enough in the titles to make them want to buy a complete set. People are emotionally invested in/connected to the bands that they like, but albums are too expensive to make it likely that people would buy multiple copies if they had different covers. Same goes to an even greater extent for video games.

Actually, I can remember when records, particularly singles were released with variant covers in an attempt to get a high entry position in the charts. Downloads and the lessening importance of the top 40 has seen this decline, although many bands these days have started releasing variant vinyl editions to go alongside cd and digital versions of the same material. Again with the artwork and physical desirability being the motivating force for purchase.

It wasn't just the covers to the singles that were different. You also received different B-sides and different remixes depending on whether you bought CD1 or CD2. It wasn't the same songs (interior story and art) released with different cover.

Different discs but the same kind of poop :baiting:

The other difference between today's variants and those from the 90's, is that they tended to be based on printing and bindery gimmicks, whereas today's variants are more concerned with actual differences in the cover art.

The 1990`s comics variants were new and different, so some of them were kinda cool at first, but here we are 20 plus years later, and the modern comic book publishers are printing way more variants then they ever did in the 1990s. :o

I blame a lot of this on reboots because everytime we get a reboot that means a shiny new number one with at least 5 variants to go along with it.

I had been giving serious thought to collecting Uncanny Avengers from Marvel's new NOW line that begins this month. However, once I found out that issue #1 consisted of EIGHTEEN different covers, I decided to give it a pass.

Bite me Marvel. I hope the variant cover craze crashes, burns, and dies the fiery death it so richly deserves.

I blame all of this on Walking Dead #100.

:P

+1000

Well, with comics, you only have the words and the pictures so the different cover art is the selling point. At which point adult free will should be enough to make the decision of whether to purchase or not relatively simple.

This boils down to differing pov's. What's right for me isn't right for you. That's perfectly okay and like I say, I don't think you can distill this down to simple right and wrong. Good discussion though.

I think it is pretty clear that people more people will tolerate 7 variants for a first issue than will tolerate 18 variants for a first issue. I'm like Watson. I can stomach 7 and still feel okay with collecting and slabbing a full run. 18 has pretty much pushed beyond my envelope of tolerance. Call it marketing, choice, brilliance or whatever, it just seems a bit exploitative to me.

The other difference between today's variants and those from the 90's, is that they tended to be based on printing and bindery gimmicks, whereas today's variants are more concerned with actual differences in the cover art.

The 1990`s comics variants were new and different, so some of them were kinda cool at first, but here we are 20 plus years later, and the modern comic book publishers are printing way more variants then they ever did in the 1990s. :o

I blame a lot of this on reboots because everytime we get a reboot that means a new number one with at least 5 variants to go along with it.

Is this stuff a digital era last-gasp gouge? Bend over the dead-tree, you want it, we'll give it to you?

Seems like someone would put together all 18 covers plus content in a single file, not do 18 separate files. Digital solves dilemma, on to the next release...

I had been giving serious thought to collecting Uncanny Avengers from Marvel's new NOW line that begins this month. However, once I found out that issue #1 consisted of EIGHTEEN different covers, I decided to give it a pass.

Bite me Marvel. I hope the variant cover craze crashes, burns, and dies the fiery death it so richly deserves.

I blame all of this on Walking Dead #100.

:P

+1000

I think this was in place long before Walking dead 100

I think this was in place long before Walking dead 100

I could be wrong but I think the Walking Dead 100 reference was just a :baiting: at Walking Dead collectors (or specific people who collect the title).

Like all debates there probably isn't a single 'right' answer.

The most correct answer though, seems to be that they are choosing quantity over quality and that it's really just marketing and nothing else.

It is unfortunate IMO.

Late to the party, but not a big fan of the new team.. That said those JSC variants are pretty sick. Should have just stopped at those. Most of these are garbage.

I actually didn't look at any of the covers until just now.

I shamefully admit that I will be targeting the 9.8 CGC SS versions of the Campbell books. Mostly because JSC has never done an X-Men team shot (only one or two characters). It's kinda awesome.

Sighhhhhhh. I'm a sheep, and Marvel is the shepherd.