• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny Avengers... I think not.

137 posts in this topic

:idea:

Marketing ploy.

Hologram covers prevent pressing.

\

ooh, ooh, are refractor or lenticular covers next? :P

Personally, I'm waiting for Psycho-frakulator covers.

Still got Frakulated!

Frak-you later, frankenpuss.

18 different covers huh? And what's the price per issue these days, 2.99?

A vs X hooked me for $4 each issue - I'm guessing this will be the same.

What a shattering disappointment that must have been for you - assuming you read them.

Actually I kinda liked it - I wouldn't say it was stellar, but it wasn't as boring as other X-crossovers.

One mega Event that undid their other mega event

18 different covers huh? And what's the price per issue these days, 2.99?

A vs X hooked me for $4 each issue - I'm guessing this will be the same.

What a shattering disappointment that must have been for you - assuming you read them.

Actually I kinda liked it - I wouldn't say it was stellar, but it wasn't as boring as other X-crossovers.

One mega Event that undid their other mega event

My expectations are pretty low for modern day comic book crossovers. A vs X was a decent read - but it didn't blow my skirt up. And the "versus" part of the whole event was about as exciting as watching Jimmy Linguinii and Aunt Agatha get into a rap battle.

And the "versus" part of the whole event was about as exciting as watching Jimmy Linguinii and Aunt Agatha get into a rap battle.

:sick:

AvX #6 did have a funny Green Arrow Joke

Some of Avengers Vs. X-Men was great. But for the most part, it read too quickly and didn't have enough depth. For what was happening in the story, it could've had some real emotional resonance. Plus, most of the story that appeared in the regular series books just made that series suck.

Count me in for some of the Marvel Now stuff. I'll give them one more time to win me over. If not, I'll stick with only Daredevil and say goodbye to the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Some of Avengers Vs. X-Men was great. But for the most part, it read too quickly and didn't have enough depth. For what was happening in the story, it could've had some real emotional resonance. Plus, most of the story that appeared in the regular series books just made that series suck.

Count me in for some of the Marvel Now stuff. I'll give them one more time to win me over. If not, I'll stick with only Daredevil and say goodbye to the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Just read the end. Not a fan of big events undoing other big events, but thats the nature of the biz I guess.

Just read the end. Not a fan of big events undoing other big events, but thats the nature of the biz I guess.

I haven't read the latest issue. Figures that it'd undo everything that came before.

Late to the party, but not a big fan of the new team.. That said those JSC variants are pretty sick. Should have just stopped at those. Most of these are garbage.

I actually didn't look at any of the covers until just now.

I shamefully admit that I will be targeting the 9.8 CGC SS versions of the Campbell books. Mostly because JSC has never done an X-Men team shot (only one or two characters). It's kinda awesome.

Sighhhhhhh. I'm a sheep, and Marvel is the shepherd, wearing velcro gloves.

Fixed. :devil:

I think your categories are pretty much right - although your set 1 is probably in an even smaller minority than set 4!

I'm not arguing that producing so many variants is "wrong" per se - personally I like having the choice of a load of covers but I'll only take one. And if it brings more people into stores, and lets stores stock other titles, then fine by me. But I feel bad for the people that suffer financially and end up feeling resentful towards a title that they really like because of it.

I was trying to think of another industry that has a similar system and I couldn't - magazines don't tend to have lots of variant covers because readers aren't invested enough in the titles to make them want to buy a complete set. People are emotionally invested in/connected to the bands that they like, but albums are too expensive to make it likely that people would buy multiple copies if they had different covers. Same goes to an even greater extent for video games.

Actually, I can remember when records, particularly singles were released with variant covers in an attempt to get a high entry position in the charts. Downloads and the lessening importance of the top 40 has seen this decline, although many bands these days have started releasing variant vinyl editions to go alongside cd and digital versions of the same material. Again with the artwork and physical desirability being the motivating force for purchase.

I used to collect Human League, Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode CD singles.

It wasn't just the covers to the singles that were different. You also received different B-sides and different remixes depending on whether you bought CD1 or CD2. It wasn't the same songs (interior story and art) released with different cover.

And yes, I bought both CD singles and sometimes the US maxi single as well, but at least I received something different on each disc.

Different discs but the same kind of poop :baiting:

I'm sorry, but no where did it mention that I collected The Stranglers CD singles.

I haven't read the latest issue. Figures that it'd undo everything that came before.

Tried to keep it vague so as not to spoil anything. It doesnt undo everything in the series, just kind of like how Siege repealed the registration act from Civil War so they don't have to work had remembering that this act is around.

I think your categories are pretty much right - although your set 1 is probably in an even smaller minority than set 4!

I'm not arguing that producing so many variants is "wrong" per se - personally I like having the choice of a load of covers but I'll only take one. And if it brings more people into stores, and lets stores stock other titles, then fine by me. But I feel bad for the people that suffer financially and end up feeling resentful towards a title that they really like because of it.

I was trying to think of another industry that has a similar system and I couldn't - magazines don't tend to have lots of variant covers because readers aren't invested enough in the titles to make them want to buy a complete set. People are emotionally invested in/connected to the bands that they like, but albums are too expensive to make it likely that people would buy multiple copies if they had different covers. Same goes to an even greater extent for video games.

Actually, I can remember when records, particularly singles were released with variant covers in an attempt to get a high entry position in the charts. Downloads and the lessening importance of the top 40 has seen this decline, although many bands these days have started releasing variant vinyl editions to go alongside cd and digital versions of the same material. Again with the artwork and physical desirability being the motivating force for purchase.

It wasn't just the covers to the singles that were different. You also received different B-sides and different remixes depending on whether you bought CD1 or CD2. It wasn't the same songs (interior story and art) released with different cover.

And yes, I bought both CD singles and sometimes the US maxi single as well, but at least I received something different on each disc.

Totally agree (in general, not on the musical choices :) )That was one of the cool things about British over American singles - you usually got an "original" song (could be a cover tune) on the B Side. Metallica with their NWOBHM influences picked up on it and released many "new" cool B-side covers. Even though I already had the main Metallica cassette, I had to buy the singles too, but only for the new music, never for anything like different cover art. If there wasn't a new song on it I wouldn't buy it.

And that's how "Breadfan" became one of my favorite Metallica songs!

I'm looking forward to reading Hickman's take on the Avengers (and New Avengers) but that's about it. I think I'll be trade waiting given the rest of my pull list (and the pile I need to catch up on...)

Well, with comics, you only have the words and the pictures so the different cover art is the selling point. At which point adult free will should be enough to make the decision of whether to purchase or not relatively simple.

I just find this whole 'evil corporation forcing consumers to buy their products' argument a little weak. No one is being mislead. People know what they are getting and are free to buy in or not.

This boils down to differing pov's. What's right for me isn't right for you. That's perfectly okay and like I say, I don't think you can distill this down to simple right and wrong. Good discussion though.

I think it is pretty clear that people more people will tolerate 7 variants for a first issue than will tolerate 18 variants for a first issue. I'm like Watson. I can stomach 7 and still feel okay with collecting and slabbing a full run. 18 has pretty much pushed beyond my envelope of tolerance. Call it marketing, choice, brilliance or whatever, it just seems a bit exploitative to me.

Exactly. I was already on variant overload from Astonishing X-Men 50 and 51. This was just the final straw.