• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Bad form Mike.

We all see the issues on the table, but Menace is not a bad guy. You would do the same thing if someone gave you 200 copies. Not a hater and welcome again, but name calling is not needed.

wasn't calling him names just expressing where i'm coming from on why i think it is a raw deal. i do not think he is a bad guy. sorry if things were worded to strongly i guess, but i was just trying to express where my thoughts were coming from on this.

Edited by Mike-Honcho

wasn't calling him names just expressing where i'm coming from on why i think it is a raw deal. i do not think he is a bad guy. sorry if things were worded to strongly i

guess, but i was just trying to express where my thoughts were coming from on this.

I understand, but things can digress into madness quickly. Just curious, were you wait listed for this book, hence the frustration? If so, I'm sure you will be able to get a copy from someone.

Sorry about all this guys, this is not what I intended. I think its fruitless to argue with one another about it. I take responsibility for setting this up it came form a good place but I will have to accept the consequences for it.

Given the opportunity to do what I would have liked, I would have canceled this due to the trouble it caused for the CBLDF and for ES. I would have completed it if there was no objections just because of a commitment to get the books for everyone.

However this is not going to be the case. It has been requested that the deal be terminated and I have think it is best to abide by the decision.

Such a shame. I ordered none so I have no horse in this race but I have followed this throughout the day and this course of events is a real shame.

Kudos to you Menace, you tried to do right by people but you can never make everyone happy.

wasn't calling him names just expressing where i'm coming from on why i think it is a raw deal. i do not think he is a bad guy. sorry if things were worded to strongly i

guess, but i was just trying to express where my thoughts were coming from on this.

I understand, but things can digress into madness quickly. Just curious, were you wait listed for this book, hence the frustration? If so, I'm sure you will be able to get a copy from someone.

lmao, nah i didn't try to get in on this. i saw all the orders going on and was reading the threads. at first i thought it was on the up and up, then as i read the threads the more i saw what was going on and it got me a little perturbed. i wouldn't have joined in based on how i saw things playing out, and especially once i realized that a profit was being made of of it. call me a liar or whatever you want but that is not how i operate. these posts are not coming from any frustrations of missing out, as much as others are trying to paint it. i'm just the type of person who hates to see things like this happened and people get the short end of the stick like this.

i mean in all reality try to spin this as you want, but this book wasn't meant for the people on this board to buy before release. it wan meant for the attendees of the portland comic con. everyone says they are grateful to menace for giving them a chance to get these titles and i believe you guys are, but if you weren't attending well guess what you shouldn't be able to get one unless you buy on the secondary market after they were distributed to all the attendees who stood in line.

call it sour grapes or whatever you want, but that's just the way i see it sorry.

like i said in my previous post if he stood in line like everyone else the day they came out then fine i have no problem with him flipping them for 300 bucks each if he wanted to. point is he went under the table and called in a favor to get 200 copies set aside before it is even released and anyone else has had a fair chance to get any.

a big plus for comic cons is too attend to get all the free and exclusive swag. some get it to keep and some to sell. i have no problem with that. the problem i have is going through the backdoor like this. it is unfair and underhanded. if i attend a con near me like sdcc or wizard world la, yeah i'm gonna get in line for things like that and i may even sell them for a profit, but if i show up and find out that some dude on the internet already got 200 and sold them before the doors even opened i'd be super pissed off, and you and everyone else here would too if you were going to that con.

If Menace had approached CBLDF before the show and bought 40% of the run (which is essentially what he's done) and then flipped them, I could see a beef. But this is a compromise where CBLDF gets an additional benefit and Menace is compensated for his time. And boardies get a shot. Is it perfect? I agree, no. However, as you note, con exclusives get flipped, one way or another. At least this way, CBLDF gets some of that secondary market value.

The other point, though, is that you and Jimmy have said that Menace should be providing this service for free (with Jimmy saying he would have done this for nothing). Fine sentiments, but actions speak louder than words, so please let us know which cons (SDCC? WWLA?) you'll be attending so we can provide our lists of charity exclusives to pick up. In the case of comic variants, make sure they're 9.8s and pack them well for shipping. Thanks!

I wish that all of my posts were on this thread arguing about this topic. Sigh.

Looking forward to all things NWM going back to normal. I still think it was a nice thing to try to do. You can disagree but intentions were genuine.

Oh, and Friday will be fun!

Edited by Mr. Hog

i'm sure menace will still be getting copies and there will be plenty available for people to get after the fact. it's just nice to know that the people who deserve a shot at these, and include menace in this statement because he is attending will be able to get a fair shot at purchasing.

and too anyone who thinks that it was a bunch of internet nobodies whining and being "butthurt" about missing out or whatever, no chance. if you think this was anything else but the publisher of image being pissed off about what was going on here, and calling the cbldf and putting the kibosh on this whole thing then i don't know what to tell you.

Ryan, I know how much you love Orange. I have a beater copy that I will do my best coloring job on and send it to you. I've been practicing with my niece. I stay inside the lines like a mofo.

Hahahahah, damn. You went there first.

i mean in all reality try to spin this as you want, but this book wasn't meant for the people on this board to buy before release. it wan meant for the attendees of the portland comic con. everyone says they are grateful to menace for giving them a chance to get these titles and i believe you guys are, but if you weren't attending well guess what you shouldn't be able to get one unless you buy on the secondary market after they were distributed to all the attendees who stood in line.

call it sour grapes or whatever you want, but that's just the way i see it sorry.

It was intended to raise money for the CBLDF.

Now the CBLDF will be getting anywhere from one half to one quarter of the donations they would have gotten.

Ryan, I know how much you love Orange. I have a beater copy that I will do my best coloring job on and send it to you. I've been practicing with my niece. I stay inside the lines like a mofo.

Hahahahah, damn. You went there first.

Hahaha. I couldn't resist.

like i said in my previous post if he stood in line like everyone else the day they came out then fine i have no problem with him flipping them for 300 bucks each if he wanted to. point is he went under the table and called in a favor to get 200 copies set aside before it is even released and anyone else has had a fair chance to get any.

a big plus for comic cons is too attend to get all the free and exclusive swag. some get it to keep and some to sell. i have no problem with that. the problem i have is going through the backdoor like this. it is unfair and underhanded. if i attend a con near me like sdcc or wizard world la, yeah i'm gonna get in line for things like that and i may even sell them for a profit, but if i show up and find out that some dude on the internet already got 200 and sold them before the doors even opened i'd be super pissed off, and you and everyone else here would too if you were going to that con.

If Menace had approached CBLDF before the show and bought 40% of the run (which is essentially what he's done) and then flipped them, I could see a beef. But this is a compromise where CBLDF gets an additional benefit and Menace is compensated for his time. And boardies get a shot. Is it perfect? I agree, no. However, as you note, con exclusives get flipped, one way or another. At least this way, CBLDF gets some of that secondary market value.

The other point, though, is that you and Jimmy have said that Menace should be providing this service for free (with Jimmy saying he would have done this for nothing). Fine sentiments, but actions speak louder than words, so please let us know which cons (SDCC? WWLA?) you'll be attending so we can provide our lists of charity exclusives to pick up. In the case of comic variants, make sure they're 9.8s and pack them well for shipping. Thanks!

I like how you compared a charity exclusive to a con exclusive.

the nowhere men #1 CBLDF is not a con exclusive. Copies will be available on their website and ebay.

I am now going to start a selling thread with all profits going to the CBLDF. If I wasn't flying from Toronto to Seattle in two weeks, I would have made a stronger attempt to go to Portland.