• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I see both sides of the arguments. I found Menace's original sales thread before anybody had posted about buying copies. I contemplated buying one for myself, but decided not to.

I wouldn't have a problem with what he was doing, but it does seem unfair for people attending the con. I understand that the CBDLF would have potentially made more by selling 200 copies on the boards, but to be fair to the people actually attending the con, maybe they could have let Menace buy any leftovers to sell for the $30 on these boards. That way none would be taken away from potential buyers going to the con and the CBDLF would have made more money on the remaining comics.

My favorite way to get con variants starts here...

Priceline.com

The CBLDF is not going to lose money and the repercussions of virtually all of the convention variants being pre sold on the CGC boards does nothing to help promote good will for the book, it's creators, CGC or the CBLDF, it has only created animosity for any and all, sadly including Jake.

Hopefully Jake isn't getting PMs behind the scenes to still buy X amount of copies for people, but after all that I have seen the past 2 days, I am willing to bet his mailbox is full...

For those who wanted to give freely to charity a many had stated or implied, you can always donate through the CBLDF website or purchase a membership.

well said sir. another well written post, and your're 110% right.

Edited by Mike-Honcho

Really if you think about it, it would infuriate a convention goer to go up to the CBLDF booth and to purchase one copy and find out over 1/2 the print run was sold away from the booth and they couldnt get one.

I got no ill will here toward anyone in this deal, but Id be pissed if I payed to attend the convention and then found out I couldnt get a copy because 1/2 were sold before I even got a chance.

Limit everyone to who bought here to one copy, limit the people in line to one copy and you will get about the fairest opportunity.(Notice I said everyone including boardies who routinely get alot of copies.)

All that said I got no problem with what he charged and how he did it. In fact I commend him for it. Nothing wrong with capitalism when its a win on most parts, except for convention goers they get hosed. Perfection is never achieved. (And yes I asked for copies just like everyone else did.)

Sorry guys I'm still handling 400-600 books over the next two weeks for CGC SS and two additional charity signings. I already lost a full day and I leave Thr. I won't be commenting further.

Edited by Menace

Sooo..... when's the next issue come out?

Second Wednesday in March.

Trying to make sure all the reprints are in store before #4 hits, so that anyone new to the book is set when that one comes out.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Your killing me here!, drop #4 already!, :taptaptap:

Looks like I missed out on one heck of a battle.

I want #4

Whats everyone's wager on how much the print run will go up?

i'd imagine pretty significantly. every shop i go to and ask about this says how it has completely taken them by surprise and they are increasing their orders by a lot.

they have caught up to this much quicker than they have to the panzerfaust demand imo. i imagine there will be plenty on the shelf ala saga 9.

Looks like I missed out on one heck of a battle.

I want #4

Whats everyone's wager on how much the print run will go up?

i'd imagine pretty significantly. every shop i go to and ask about this says how it has completely taken them by surprise and they are increasing their orders by a lot.

they have caught up to this much quicker than they have to the panzerfaust demand imo. i imagine there will be plenty on the shelf ala saga 9.

Oh I agree shops will be better prepared especially given the extra time they have to order. I just mean #3 had a print run of 7421...I think I would suspect it be in the 10k+ if not just touching the 11k mark.

Wow, look what I missed!

Sorry about all this guys, this is not what I intended. I think its fruitless to argue with one another about it. I take responsibility for setting this up it came form a good place but I will have to accept the consequences for it.

Given the opportunity to do what I would have liked, I would have canceled this due to the trouble it caused for the CBLDF and for ES. I would have completed it if there was no objections just because of a commitment to get the books for everyone.

However this is not going to be the case. It has been requested that the deal be terminated and I have think it is best to abide by the decision.

Good :golfclap:

Still, its funny to see how people react when they don't get a piece of the pie.

I think it's funnier to see people trying to rationalize that those who weren't happy with this whole thing are so because they missed out.

I was one of the first to have got my name down. But shortly after I did I started to feel bad about it and brought it up with my bf about how i felt uncomfortable with it all. I'm not even sure if I can put into words why I feel this whole deal was in bad form but it's certainly a mixture of: 1) it was meant to be a con exclusive for con attendees and 2) it was meant to be for charity so i felt uncomfortable with someone else making so much money off this. (Making $100-200 plus expenses eg mailers would have been much more reasonable than $2000 or $3200 as it was at one stage when the orders were at 320).

Most people here are fine with others making ridiculous amounts of money from things because this forum is very much money-driven. Comics are hardly ever talked about in terms of the story and art in comparison to how much they're talked about as a way to make money.

Anyway, I'm glad the whole thing has been called off. :) I also hope there is a limit for people at the con, including Menace.