• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Didn't Kurtis Weibe say the creative team of Peter Panzerfaust received $10,000 from Image as payment and that was split between three of them?

I could be wrong on the figure but I'm pretty sure he suggested they don't make nearly as much as they should for what they provide us, the consumer, the collector.

Keeping that in mind, I think its a great thing that Image creators are realizing the market and selling their books at a great markup!

Before the PP craze took off, Kurtis told us he was bring home about $400 a month (one book a month)

Silver: that's basically it. Hot, like it, buy it, complete the collection. Plus it's rare.

Katchoo: I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. You know you did some hate dropping and I called you out. I said I have no problem with your opinion, but be respectful. Banter is welcome (and I have forgot what the convo was even about lol )

How did you call me out? And I wasn't "hate dropping". My point was it was disrespectful to gloat about small print runs right in front of a creator. I still stand by that. How it's ok to reply to that with a "f you" is mind-boggling. (or telling me to hand in my "man card" and all the other nonsense that was said)

Aparently this is between you and someone else because I never said either of those things or gloated about low print counts (check the thread).

Already said it was Solar. But everyone else was too busy "calling me out" for voicing my opinion to call him out for being blatantly and unnecessarily offensive. I don't remember what you said, which is why I asked how you called me out and what hate-dropping I did.

No issue with that

yes and no. Remember that collectibles dont have intrinsic value (like say a precious metal coin). Creating them is essentially the same as printing money. Creators/Companies have always had wink wink nudge nudge copies, but if a large percentage of a limited run starts going comp...

That's getting a bit into moral hazard territory. Also a good lurch towards bubble bursting territory. Definitely something worth keeping an eye on anyway.

Didn't Kurtis Weibe say the creative team of Peter Panzerfaust received $10,000 from Image as payment and that was split between three of them?

I could be wrong on the figure but I'm pretty sure he suggested they don't make nearly as much as they should for what they provide us, the consumer, the collector.

Keeping that in mind, I think its a great thing that Image creators are realizing the market and selling their books at a great markup!

Before the PP craze took off, Kurtis told us he was bring home about $400 a month (one book a month)

Which is exactly why the gloating about small print runs is so distasteful and selfish. But you know, my bad.

Silver: that's basically it. Hot, like it, buy it, complete the collection. Plus it's rare.

Katchoo: I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. You know you did some hate dropping and I called you out. I said I have no problem with your opinion, but be respectful. Banter is welcome (and I have forgot what the convo was even about lol )

How did you call me out? And I wasn't "hate dropping". My point was it was disrespectful to gloat about small print runs right in front of a creator. I still stand by that. How it's ok to reply to that with a "f you" is mind-boggling. (or telling me to hand in my "man card" and all the other nonsense that was said)

Aparently this is between you and someone else because I never said either of those things or gloated about low print counts (check the thread).

Already said it was Solar. But everyone else was too busy "calling me out" for voicing my opinion to call him out for being blatantly and unnecessarily offensive. I don't remember what you said, which is why I asked how you called me out and what hate-dropping I did.

Well then, in the name of peace, I will say I'm sorry and hope you get your other apology. We're good on my end

For realz - :foryou:

wow, its hot in here! Someone exec summary the 300+ posts i missed.

Also, within the context of all this fervor, has there been any drama regarding Image keeping almost half the ComicsPro as comps to flip themselves?

It's a dangerous game when the people "printing" the money, start getting too in on the action.

Nail on Head

Posted this twice on here.

Creators are getting wise, causing a secondary surge and selling themselves.

No issue with that - just buyer beware!

I don't really see a problem with this either, and as you already stated : Buyer beware.

The real problem I see is the print run numbers. The collecting community relies heavily on this for pricing. If the publishers are not honest, then we could be in for some real pain.

If they say the print run was 500, then it needs to be 500. If they print extra for themselves to sell on the secondary market... lookout!

your numbers are off, but the jist of it is right. I am not saying they shouldnt benefit from the secondary market, nor am I saying they shouldnt have some copies direct from printing.

It's the quantity, or percent of the run, that is the issue raising moral hazard. To follow your logic all the way through.

Why not just release the NWM Ebay Variant, and let Image make an Ebay store, and sell all 500 direct to the secondary market with 99 cent auctions, 1 at a time (to prevent flooding). The creators could then maximize their gain.

obviously thats an extreme example. But, its the slippery slope taken to conclusion...

Edited by CBT

so people are paying more for raw NWM con variants, than raw ToT #1 variants?

lol:screwy:

SHHH! I've been trying to buy as many as i can for the past two months. Absolutely insane to me that a book with a pilot -script written and backing from Robert Kirkman and AMC is being trumped by a book three issues in. More power to the sellers, but i'm staying far, far away.

I sincerely hope this number is wrong.

No issue with that

yes and no. Remember that collectibles dont have intrinsic value (like say a precious metal coin). Creating them is essentially the same as printing money. Creators/Companies have always had wink wink nudge nudge copies, but if a large percentage of a limited run starts going comp...

That's getting a bit into moral hazard territory. Also a good lurch towards bubble bursting territory. Definitely something worth keeping an eye on anyway.

I've been doing that for a bit CBT - one reason I avoided this book.

I have already made a mental note to avoid certain creators who make this a habit.

This NWM situation IS the '90s, hence my cautionary advice.

They will all be around next year at 10% of their current price. Thats a scary though, and also why after selling,I put my money into any HG genuine SA/BA/GA first appearence I can afford.

I'm somewhat reassured that quite a few other people are seeing the warning signs.

Nice one CBT

Edited by Andy70

wow, its hot in here! Someone exec summary the 300+ posts i missed.

Also, within the context of all this fervor, has there been any drama regarding Image keeping almost half the ComicsPro as comps to flip themselves?

It's a dangerous game when the people "printing" the money, start getting too in on the action.

Nail on Head

Posted this twice on here.

Creators are getting wise, causing a secondary surge and selling themselves.

No issue with that - just buyer beware!

I don't really see a problem with this either, and as you already stated : Buyer beware.

The real problem I see is the print run numbers. The collecting community relies heavily on this for pricing. If the publishers are not honest, then we could be in for some real pain.

If they say the print run was 500, then it needs to be 500. If they print extra for themselves to sell on the secondary market... lookout!

I agree here, but didnt want to post it first. This isnt a good thing. I can easily see this going south and some boardies on here just plain get hosed. I will think twice about getting some of these books until weeks later on sec market unless I can pick them up myself at the con.

I sincerely hope this number is wrong.

Nope.

Which is exactly why the gloating about small print runs is so distasteful and selfish. But you know, my bad.

Can you stop please? I'm sure E.S. knew what the print run was before posting on the boards.

The low print run just means this book will be reprinted until everyone that wants a copy gets one... I don't see a problem with pointing that out.