• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

438 posts in this topic

Very cute! The authors have said a bunch of times that they love seeing the official target audience reading the book - they even requested pictures - so you should tweet that to them.

Say, is issue #2 selling well? I'm seeing mixed reports on Twitter and on forums. My own LCS sold ~20-30 copies.

I'd be curious to see any weak sales reports that might be floating around. Mostly I've seen a handful of complaints that it's sold out at various LCS on Twitter (including apparently all of Singapore). I know the first four issues were ranked 1-4 in the comics section on iTunes last week, with issue #2 being featured in the overall hot sales list.

I received a bunch of the #2 covers today. Hot Topic definitely wins the best shipping award. Just look at the box it came in! The big Priority mail box on the right is from Hot Topic; compare to the Jetpack one which is slightly larger than the comics themselves.

The only real bummer for me is that the Hot Topic #2 (Vinyl Scratch cover) has what I can only describe as a very sharp and very perfect horizontal crease on the cover about 2/3 of an inch up from the bottom. Is this a known manufacturing defect anyone knows of? I don't think the crease is due poor handling since the crease doesn't transfer to any of the interior pages.

My Hot Topic came in a box just like that as well, they were press sealed in plastic; however, which had me worried. When I got the plastic off I was very pleased to find that they were in perfect condition. You should see if they will give you a new one.

BTW to anyone that wants to know, Dynamic Forces Variant for issue #1 is FINALLY shipping.

Clearly :screwy:

;)

@ Nissl : Maybe I will. Am going to send some of my daughter's fan art to Lauren Faust 's fanmail to see if she gets a letter back from *cough* Equestria *cough* or wherever it is that those .... errr Ponies live.

Not that I would know of course.

as of now, there are 7 9.8's and 3 9.9's of that midtown, you have 1 9.8. i hope they do well. i have 6 9.8's and 3 9.9's. :wishluck:

Thats totally wrong.

There are 3 x 9.8 sitting waiting for me at Joeyposts store.

I'd be curious to see any weak sales reports that might be floating around. Mostly I've seen a handful of complaints that it's sold out at various LCS on Twitter (including apparently all of Singapore). I know the first four issues were ranked 1-4 in the comics section on iTunes last week, with issue #2 being featured in the overall hot sales list.

Here's a report of poor sales of #2 from Alpha Comics in Calgary and a forum post from a German comic shop reporting sellout of #2 and an upcoming fourth printing of #1 next month. "Mixed reports" might have been too strong. I'm just seeing less excitement about #2 from retailers.

as of now, there are 7 9.8's and 3 9.9's of that midtown, you have 1 9.8. i hope they do well. i have 6 9.8's and 3 9.9's. :wishluck:

Thats totally wrong.

lol my mistake andy

if they are with joey, good chance 1 or more might come back 9.9

i hope you get 8.5's :slapfight:

Here's a report of poor sales of #2 from Alpha Comics in Calgary and a forum post from a German comic shop reporting sellout of #2 and an upcoming fourth printing of #1 next month. "Mixed reports" might have been too strong. I'm just seeing less excitement about #2 from retailers.

Interesting. I did not know about the fourth printing; I have to think that bodes well overall.

I will note that the tweet from Alpha Comics was from the day after release, and there doesn't seem to have been any follow-up. This fanbase is probably going to behave a little differently from the normal comic buying base that's conditioned to stop by the store every Wednesday. That Nook leak probably took a bite out of sales, or at least made people more lackadaisical about getting their physical copy. The default covers were also kinda weak. But I have also seen far fewer reviews and much less discussion on various forums for issue #2. Heck, this thread dropped off the front page the day after it came out.

I still think the comic will get a boost from the season ending. IDW would be smart to have something coming out the Wednesday after the last episode.

It's not unusual for the second issue to drop off. Conventional wisdom is that around issue #6 is when you can get a good feel about how a series is going.

Thats totally wrong.

lol my mistake andy

lol

Graded and slabbed all 9.8's.

Congrats on those 9.9's mate - great picking by you (thumbs u

Thats totally wrong.

lol my mistake andy

lol

Graded and slabbed all 9.8's.

Congrats on those 9.9's mate - great picking by you (thumbs u

Ahh, they haven't updated the census yet. It's every Monday or something right? Congrats on the 9.8's. As far as the picking is concerned, I ordered them from midtown and sent them to cgc as soon as they came in. I don't even think I opened the box lol

Picked up a couple of the OA covers for MLP #1 from Amy Mebberson not too long ago. Thought you all might get a kick out of it...she does a fantastic job and it will be interesting to see how she handles the interiors.

MLP:FIM #1 Double Midnite variant cover

MLP:FIM #1 Hastings variant cover

MLP:FIM #1 Lone Star Comics variant cover

I still think the comic will get a boost from the season ending. IDW would be smart to have something coming out the Wednesday after the last episode.

Assuming two-week gaps between the last three episodes and no delays, that "something" will be TS #1 by Zahler.

I agree that the comic will get a boost, but not a huge one. As you said, there's been little discussion of this thing elsewhere except for some talk about what place the comics will have in the canon. I think it'll all come down to whether the comics are accepted as a sort of secondary canon or end up in its own niche like Moonstuck or Fallout: Equestria. Because at this point, turning to the comics isn't an obvious next step after the show.

Yeah, as weird as it may sound to outsiders given the early sales, the comic only has modest traction with the fanbase at this point. It's not like IDW has a big marketing budget, and it's hard to stand out among the waves of fan content. For reference, the top fan Youtube series like FiW, RDP, .MOV, TBS, etc. regularly pull in the neighborhood of 500k views. To judge from Twitter, there are still lots of people just hearing about the comic it or finally checking out issue #1. I'll know the comic has made it when new issue discussion threads get a feature slot on Reddit.

Over the upcoming hiatus, I think IDW should space their two series so that they have new content hitting every two weeks, with the goal of becoming viewed as the source of reliable new pony content across various forums. More importantly, they should make sure they get someone to show up the roughly two dozen summer conventions with a full set of comics to sell.