• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Pressing Question

46 posts in this topic

Hey guys, need some opinions... Sent a book into Joeypost to be pressed...tales of suspense #39 (cgc 7.0 grade, WHITE PAGES).... got this back from Joey... (thanks Joey BTW for your honest feedback.) Bad pics in newer post, sorry.

Joey:

****The spine is the real culprit here Greg. The rest of the book is in at least 8.5 shape. The readers crease and small stain on the back cover are what CGC hammered the book on.

With that said I do see a crease on the front cover that I can get to lay flat. It breaks color for 1/8 to 1/4 inch. It is on the outside edge near iron mans elbow.

Back cover has a few dents and creases I can remove. It will also benefit from a dry cleaning. CGC has been all over the place with grading lately. I have confidence in my ability, but they have had books coming back with some crazy grades.

I will leave this up to you. Please keep in mind the risk it could:

stay the same grade

Change in PQ

Go down

Go up.******

what would you guys do, crack and press, or leave alone? Really want this book to grade higher as it deserves to be!

Thanks!

I would not take the chance of losing that White page designation. I know they don't like reader's creases, nor stains and they would still be there. I think the odds are worse than 50/50 for an improvement. I would leave it alone.

Hey guys, need some opinions... Sent a book into Joeypost to be pressed...tales of suspense #39 (cgc 7.0 grade, WHITE PAGES).... got this back from Joey... (thanks Joey BTW for your honest feedback.) No pics, sorry.

Joey:

****The spine is the real culprit here Greg. The rest of the book is in at least 8.5 shape. The readers crease and small stain on the back cover are what CGC hammered the book on.

With that said I do see a crease on the front cover that I can get to lay flat. It breaks color for 1/8 to 1/4 inch. It is on the outside edge near iron mans elbow.

Back cover has a few dents and creases I can remove. It will also benefit from a dry cleaning. CGC has been all over the place with grading lately. I have confidence in my ability, but they have had books coming back with some crazy grades.

I will leave this up to you. Please keep in mind the risk it could:

stay the same grade

Change in PQ

Go down

Go up.******

what would you guys do, crack and press, or leave alone? Really want this book to grade higher as it deserves to be!

Thanks!

Either yourself or JoeyPost should provide scans on here for a person to be able to give you advice. I know a few people on here with a scan who will give you good advice.

You cannot see it in the scans but the book has a readers crease (barely breaks color in some area's...look by the middle and bottom "Who") that runs the length of the book. Add to it a lot of color breaks on the spine (not creases but areas where the ink has flaked/cracked off), lots of wear around both staples and a crease that breaks color in two places that runs from iron mans elbow all the way to his back foot. Back cover also has a stain.

tos39001.jpg

Ah yes! Thanks Joey for the scan! Gamble or not to gamble that is the question... Leaning on the gamble... Let you know soon.

I would NOT gamble with that. I could be wrong but I'm reading Joeys advice as "I wouldn't do it if I were you" (shrug)

It is a beautiful 7.0.

It is. Unfortunately it is one of those books that has such great eye appeal...with a very large significant defect.

I think the real question he should ask himself is based on the defect you pointed out can he live with it? If every time he looks at that book, notices that defect, and is going to constantly question himself what if Joey did that work for me and I could of gotten a better grade. Then he should let Joey fix it, but if he can live with the defect then don't let Joey fix it. Right now he gives me the vibe he is going to constantly question if he doesn't have it done so I would tell you let Joey fix it.

I wouldnt touch it. Joey is the expert so I would suggest taking his advice even though he didnt come out and say dont do it. I think his hesitation would be enough for me.

That is not what Joey is saying. All Joey is saying he thinks the book might be able to get an 8.5,but he is not going to guarantee a higher grade with how CGC has been grading lately the risk is up to him. He is remaining neutral from how I read Joey's message.