• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHIZ #2 (#1s)...

136 posts in this topic

It will be interesting to see how perceptions on tape will affect the values in the future. It used to be okay to add a few dots of marker as well to increase the value of the book.
i know i no longer buy books that have the obvious tape added. I have liked many Sparklecity books but didnt (and won't) bid on a single one with added tape. I know I would have paid more for Brandon's whiz 1 as. 1.5 w/o tape than I would with as a 2.0 with tape. So IMO it is worth less now (even with higher cgc #) than it was before (nothing personal B just stating my opinion) and I know many collectors adopting this approach these days which is why I am avoiding books with tape added

I add tape to all my books, whether they need it or not. I just dig the way it makes the spine shine :cloud9:

lol

Not sure about that one Rick. Even though it is tape, the book clearly is worth more in a 2.0 slab. I think we'd all be surprised what the average collector would pay for a 2.0 Whiz, with or without tape, but I'm fairly certain it would go for more than a 1.5. (thumbs u

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

So you're not keeping it?

Not sure about that one Rick. Even though it is tape, the book clearly is worth more in a 2.0 slab. I think we'd all be surprised what the average collector would pay for a 2.0 Whiz, with or without tape, but I'm fairly certain it would go for more than a 1.5. (thumbs u

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

So you're not keeping it?

Yep, I'm keeping it.

I just looked closely at the book...it might have graded 2.0 without the tape hm

Rick, keep in mind the book was fallling apart before the proposed application. Fully detached and 90 percent split. Here's what was presented to me (and I fully trust him since I've got to know him the past year; extremely knowledgeable, normally he will overnight my expensive books to CGC and discuss with them).

1.5 without tape

2.0 with tape

With the tape, the book has optimum value and better asthetics & stability. A pro job. But I do think about the 100% original forfeiture at times. (thumbs u :(

I just looked closely at the book...it might have graded 2.0 without the tape hm

Rick, keep in mind the book was fallling apart before the proposed application. Fully detached and 90 percent split. Here's what was presented to me (and I fully trust him since I've got to know him the past year; extremely knowledgeable, normally he will overnight my expensive books to CGC and discuss with them).

1.5 without tape

2.0 with tape

With the tape, the book has optimum value and better asthetics & stability. A pro job. But I do think about the 100% original forfeiture at times. (thumbs u :(

I do not think that word means what you think it means. You introduced an adhesive to the book that will cause progressive and irreversible damage.

1.5 without tape

2.0 with tape

I do not think that word means what you think it means. You introduced an adhesive to the book that will cause progressive and irreversible damage.

Im sure its a great book either way. I'd have gone archival tape so it could be removed if used at all.

Ps I'd love a copy of Whiz 2(1)

The book looks much better, got a better grade, and is at max value.

Anyone who has (or will get) a detached key book will probably have to ponder this. hm

I have a detached book and didn't bother taping it. Not a tape fan at all.

DK, if it's a Tec 27 I bet you would be! lol

i have a superman 1 that if I added tape would increase value 10-20k in a higher cgc grade yet I refuse to add tape!

Is it for sale :sumo: at 10-20k below taped value?

If and when it is for sale. Will it be taped and slabbed and priced 10-20k higher?

I need to learn to read the entire thread :lol:

If you have it priced where a taper can make 10-20k. Why hasn't it sold?

Anyone who has (or will get) a detached key book will probably have to ponder this. hm

i have a superman 1 that if I added tape would increase value 10-20k in a higher cgc grade yet I refuse to add tape!

If and when it is for sale. Will it be taped and slabbed and priced 10-20k higher?

I think Rick's making the right call here, both ethically and professionally. I would imagine the hit in a dealer's reputation could cost more than 10-20k in the long run. hm

it is a 6 figure copy that I am asking full fmv+ on but if it was .5 higher I would price 10-20k more. And tape would add .5 all things being equal. Just not worth it to me and 6 fig buyers hopefully realize that as well (thumbs u

At that level it makes sense to leave it alone. You ask a price you're happy selling it at and once it's gone it's gone.

Leave the tape for the next guy.

I hope CGC changes their stance on tape some day.

I think Rick's making the right call here, both ethically and professionally. I would imagine the hit in a dealer's reputation could cost more than 10-20k in the long run. hm

Wonder how much it's hurt Sparklecity?

given that I haven't bid on those taped up books, it has hurt them on the big keys (like the taped up tec 27...I would have bid at least 10K more than it went for, etc)...so my guess is it has hurt them fairly tangibly

given that I haven't bid on those taped up books, it has hurt them on the big keys (like the taped up tec 27...I would have bid at least 10K more than it went for, etc)...so my guess is it has hurt them fairly tangibly

I know there were some books that I held off bidding on as they were taped up along the spine. Maybe not the type of big books Gator is referring to but I'm sure it still cost them some money and it all adds up.

If and when it is for sale. Will it be taped and slabbed and priced 10-2 :( 0k higher?

I know there were some books that I held off bidding on as they were taped up along the spine. Maybe not the type of big books Gator is referring to but I'm sure it still cost them some money and it all adds up.

I think the practice has rubbed off some of their "sparkle" :/

Got a "Whiz" second chance guys. Got this today from Brent at Quality Comics. Split and detached cover but the eye appeal is better than my 2.0 (see page 3). Very bright colors and nice paper. Is the front cover on this book cool or what?

Detroit Trolley copy (go figure) with S. Cicconi resto free certificate. Brent & I discussed the book at length. A nice 1.8 if graded, but maybe on a bright cloudless day it could fetch a 2.0?

132378.jpg.23377600ecadeb6b5ec1f852726cdc0b.jpg

132379.jpg.89ddab7779cefbd5fd86fba1f7f79612.jpg

132380.jpg.c62470a62a89e55d92709756af8620b6.jpg