• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHIZ #2 (#1s)...

136 posts in this topic

I think it's time I scanned this puppy. I don't have the label handy but I think it was an SP 4.5 or something along those lines. I guess that makes it worthless. I still love it. It's a gem.

WhizComics.jpg

True, restored copies of Whiz #1 usually don't sell for even half the price of this 2.0 and trimmed ones are only good for reader copies,

but yours is a beauty nonetheless :luhv:

True, restored copies of Whiz #1 usually don't sell for even half the price of this 2.0 and trimmed ones are only good for reader copies,

That all depends on the eye appeal, type of resto and how much resto. I think this book would likely have been a 1.5 or 1.8 at minimum without the resto so that is about how I would personally value it.

That all depends on the eye appeal, type of resto and how much resto. I think this book would likely have been a 1.5 or 1.8 at minimum without the resto so that is about how I would personally value it.

Eye appeal overrides most caveats and it has great eye appeal. (thumbs u

It possibly might have been and it does look nice for a restored lower grade copy.

MV for an unrestored 1.5-1.8 probably is at around $12k - $14k depending on the defects and the general eye appeal (mostly that of the FC in low grades).

IMHO a restored lower grade copy, even if the restoration is slight, is nowhere near that price. Exceptions would be reversible resto candidates or defects that some don't judge as harsh such as cleaned staples, reinforced covers, glue....maybe even just cleaned covers.

If the copy were trimmed, depending on the other restoration performed, pq and the gen. app. I highly doubt it would even sell for half of that ( a trimmed EP 7.0 sold on eBay for $4k not too long ago after lurking on eBay for quite some time).

I guess that all depends on the buyer and how he or she values it. When I buy restored books I value them as what I think they would grade out as without the resto.

The trimmed EP 7.0 is an entirely different animal because an EP book can be almost anything pre resto. For example, 1/2 the book could be missing. Trimming might also be a turn off for some people (mine isn't trimmed by the way).

The final price is always going to come down to how much resto and what type of resto. There is no exact formula. It's all going to depend on the work done and there is no other way to evaluate a book properly.

Very good points. From the scan only, it looks like some spine work was done. Let's say that's it. It would be reversible, though why do that and then likely a 1.5 or 1.8 grade with a split spine etc. So $12k seems more than reasonable. I'm pretty sure the discount on low grade (sub 2.0) books isn't nearly the fraction of even a 3-4 mid grade.

Then again, maybe the $13k was a spike on the high side. Either way, its a hellasweet book.

I picked up the Whiz #1 CGC 7.5 (EP) trimmed copy last year. I have owned several copies of Whiz #1 and do not mind owning a restored book as long as it presents well. I agree with Roy on putting value on a restored book, as to what the book would have graded without the restoration. I have scrutinized this book, comparing it with numerous other copies, comparing measurements, and as far as I can tell the only area of the book which was trimmed is a 1/4 inch area on the upper right corner.

I used to be firmly against owning a restored book, but changed my collecting criteria when I noticed CGC giving Universal grades to books with color touch, staples and tape added. Again each collector's opinion may differ when it comes to restored books, but I would rather have a restored copy of a key book then no copy at all.

134150.jpg.62d83fe66edf796d2e0a7880c58f816d.jpg

134151.jpg.683d676129de2ce7856d418b5fbc3d94.jpg

134152.jpg.963be269e30944fe82d589af81fb764a.jpg

Found this old thread so I thought I'd revive it and add my new copy.

The resto is extensive, but it's nicely done and the book presents really well. The colors are vibrant and the whites are really bright and clean. There's some scuffing on the slab (most noticeable across the letters in WHIZ) that is distracting so I'll probably get it re-holdered at some point.

Overall I'm really happy with my purchase and glad to have a nice copy of a book I've long admired. :)

Whiz%2520Comics%2520%25231%2520a.JPG

Whiz%2520Comics%2520%25231%2520CGC%2520FVF%25207.0.jpg

That is a great book, congratulations. Someone needs to figure out how to reboot the Captain for the modern age. Heck if they can get Ironsides going again why not the Big Red Cheese?

They did a reboot. And I like it. (thumbs u

Very cool. I was close to buying that book when it was listed here on the boards a couple of weeks ago. The seller and I emailed a few times and then POOF it was sold. Congratulations!

I contemplated it as well. And when I returned to the thread, Todd has scooped it up.