• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heartbreaking question about ink

87 posts in this topic

I am not saying anything about this collector in particular.

But:

I have to believe that most of the people (collectors) that get to this board, KNOW SOMETHING about comic books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In other words, I seriously doubt that someone posting on these boards would just sell their entire collection without at least getting a better understanding of what they own.

cp,

when we quote, we generally comment?

I am not saying anything about this collector in particular.

But:

I have to believe that most of the people (collectors) that get to this board, KNOW SOMETHING about comic books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In other words, I seriously doubt that someone posting on these boards would just sell their entire collection without at least getting a better understanding of what they own.

cp,

when we quote, we generally comment?

27_laughing.gif

He's new.

It took me a few score posts to get the hang of all the UBB code here. grin.gif

Again:

1)Join the Collector's Society!

2)You get 3 free express submissions.

3)Send in the FF 1, AF 15, and the best looking of either the Hulk 1 or ASM 1.

4)Sell them and get rich. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If you get blue label 9.2/9.4s your looking at 6 figures. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Just for the heck of it, can we see a scan of the stamp on the first page of that FF 52?

For god's sake...don't open the book on the scanner to show us!

893whatthe.gif

Dude, if your books are this nice, you need to get started on an inventory.

Do NOT sell a single book until you talk to someone about getting them labeled as a pedigree.

Do not offer them to any person or dealer privately.

If this is collection is legit, one of the CGC graders (Steve or Mark?) can tell you what you need to do from there.

I'm sure someone will need to look at them all in person and determine if they are worthy.

Whatever you do...don't sell anything yet.

When the collection gets some airtime in the hobby pulps, then offer them at an auction.

I wish you the best of luck with them.

It would be nice to see an original owner reap the money they deserve for keeping the books in such nice shape.

Beware of the vultures. Do not sell these books privately!!!!!

sumo.gif

I hate to be the lone pessimist here, devil.gif but one scan does not a pedigree make. sumo.gif And do you guys realize that this same story has been told a hundred times? gossip.gif As they say the "proof is in the pudding." sumo.gif Hardly "history in the making" or "MH3". devil.gif

I have a hard time believing it would be true, but *IF* it is, I want the guy to be warned.

It's the same message I would give anyone in a similar situation.

It's quite possible that this is not what it appears to be, but in the event it is...I want the guy to get his piece of the pie.

Can a collection like this exist? Yes.

The Burntboy collection comes to mind.

If this is not a scam, I want this guy to reap the benefit of his forsight to take care of his books.

Take for instance the "Mile High" pedigree...Chuck is famous for the collection of a lifetime. Why? What the [!@#%^&^] did Chuck do?

Chuck didn't take care of these books when they were worthless.

Chuck didn't have the forsight to keep these books in pristine condition when they were looked at as trash and clutter.

I'll tell you what he did...He scammed a family out of a fortune in comics.

He didn't even have the money to scam it away from them, so he had to con some other guys into lending him the money to buy it.

If I can prevent this guy from falling prey to a scumbag that would scam him out of his books, then good for me.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow, that's a bit of an overstatement.

Edgar Church's family didn't WANT the books. They hated Edgar's collection and considered it to be junk, just like his artwork that they tossed in the trash, which fortunately, Chuck saved.

While it is indisputable that Chuck made out very well on that deal, the bottom line is that the people who got the money from the deal weren't the ones who stored and loved those comics for decades either. They were Edgar's family, who cared only about clearing the house out of junk so that they could sell the house because the neighborhood was becoming "too Mexican" and they wanted to get rid of the house before prices dropped.

I am supposed to feel sorry for these people? Chuck paid as much as he could afford for the books. In fact, he paid way more than he could afford for them, as he was a young kid without a lot of resources.

While I have no problem with people ripping into Chuck for his overgrading and overpricing of books and his "I saved the comic industry" BS, I get steamed when people say that he ripped off Edgar Church's family. They were scumbags who were lucky that they got anything, since they were just going to toss most of it in the garbage. 893frustrated.gif

I stand corrected.

Some of this, I was unaware of.

Thanks for the bigger picture.

I still want the guy to get what the market determines them to be worth.

I'm just looking out for him.

thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, I was posting but forgot to turn off my firewall and lost my post. Sadly, my AF15 was bought 2nd hand and is a rather lower grade. I'm enjoying the enthusiasm over your perceived Eldorado. I can appreciate the skepticism. I didn't know there were such stories involving collections! I have received some very fine suggestions and offers privately and truly do appreciate the input. (Wonder bread?) I'll post my AF15 because you asked. The scans I've posted are of my books.

cashpoor54

543407-AF15.jpg.991505dd15a657707ed68ae3d3dd931d.jpg

Very respectible 3.0/3.5

If you are selling, sell that one raw to get funds to get the NMs graded at CGC. thumbsup2.gif

Again:

If you get blue label 9.2/9.4s your looking at 6 figures. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Keeping in mind that the max fair market value for an express submission book is $4,000. They'd have to be lower grade copies. The AF 15 he posted would be ok to submit.

Again:

Keeping in mind that the max fair market value for an express submission book is $4,000. They'd have to be lower grade copies. The AF 15 he posted would be ok to submit.

That's true... tonofbricks.gif

I'm sorry to inform you cashpoor but you really are cashpoor. All the books you currently have are reprints so you might as well sell them to me for 4.00 a book. Sure I'm overpaying but its the least I can do for you......offer is on the table.. devil.gif

I stand corrected.

Some of this, I was unaware of.

Thanks for the bigger picture.

I still want the guy to get what the market determines them to be worth.

I'm just looking out for him.

thumbsup2.gif

It's all good! thumbsup2.gif I agree that it is important that he get full value for the books. 893applaud-thumb.gif Foresight like that deserves a reward.

Sorry, I was posting but forgot to turn off my firewall and lost my post. Sadly, my AF15 was bought 2nd hand and is a rather lower grade. I'm enjoying the enthusiasm over your perceived Eldorado. I can appreciate the skepticism. I didn't know there were such stories involving collections! I have received some very fine suggestions and offers privately and truly do appreciate the input. (Wonder bread?) I'll post my AF15 because you asked. The scans I've posted are of my books.

cashpoor54

No matter what anyone else tells you, do not try to restore your books in any way, including the use of Wonder Bread.

I'm sorry to inform you cashpoor but you really are cashpoor. All the books you currently have are reprints so you might as well sell them to me for 4.00 a book. Sure I'm overpaying but its the least I can do for you......offer is on the table.. devil.gif

WHAT!!! One minute I own my own island and now I can't afford to get pizza delivered!!

cashpoor54

WHAT!!! One minute I own my own island and now I can't afford to get pizza delivered!!

cashpoor54

Blame it on TGC of '04!! 27_laughing.gif

I'd love to see your Hulk 1... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And me the FF 1. smile.gif

No, me . . . (here we go again!)

I would like to see scans of all of the #1 issues. But let me go grab a clean pair of shorts first, as I think I may need them. 893whatthe.gif I'd also like to see your FF#3, 9, 11, and 13. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

543407-AF15.jpg

Nicer than mine! frown.gif

AF%2015s.jpg893applaud-thumb.gif

man, that looks awfully like your TOS #40....... devil.gif

and i'm with you on the annointing of a pedigree status based on one scan and a list of lots of old cool marvels. i know, i have tons of mid grade stuff, as well as some nice books.

but, in general, i think the advice that has been offered is very sound. and if he has a good deal of books in the condition of that FF #52 (although a bigger scan wouldn't hurt in trying to ascertain it's grade), he should do QUITE well for himself 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

man, that looks awfully like your TOS #40....... devil.gif

You baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! insane.gif

and i'm with you on the annointing of a pedigree status based on one scan and a list of lots of old cool marvels. i know, i have tons of mid grade stuff, as well as some nice books.

don't we all! devil.gif

but, in general, i think the advice that has been offered is very sound. and if he has a good deal of books in the condition of that FF #52 (although a bigger scan wouldn't hurt in trying to ascertain it's grade), he should do QUITE well for himself 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I agree 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif