• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #18 - Unopened Distributor Bundle (1970) SOLD!

11 posts in this topic

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #18 Distributor Bundle:

Here's an unopened original distribution bundle straight from late 1970: 48 unsold copies of Nick Fury #18...the last issue of the first series, and a 25-cent square bound book, too!

With a cover date of March, 1971, these comics were most likely counted and bundled for distribution to news vendors and other retail outlets sometime in December of 1970 -- that's nearly 42 years without a single living soul cutting the twine and sending these copies on their merry way.

As an in-tact artifact from the pre-Direct Market era, this is a striking visual testimony as to why high grade copies of ANY comics published before the mid/late '70s are such a rarity in perfect condition. After all, what sort of shape would you be in today if you were stacked by a machine or by some underpaid gorilla in a damp & dingy warehouse somewhere, bundled with twine, and tossed onto the street from the back of a truck over 40 years ago? Just as rough as this bundle, no doubt! And yet this was precisely how the vast majority of our prized comics from the '30s - '70s found their way into our hands!

The average grade here is probably in the G/VG range: the worst examples are obviously at the top and bottom of the pile, with copies in the middle of the stack possibly grading out a bit nicer than that.

Last year's OSPG lists NF 18 at 3 bucks in Good, so let's start this somewhat unique little piece of comics history at...

SOLD!!!

$100 shipped and insured in the US. (Sorry…this is a heavy item--over 8 pounds when packed--so International Shipping is not really an option).

PayPal is strongly preferred, and payment needs to be made within 3 days of closing the deal unless we've made other arrangements via PM.

NF18-bundle1.jpg

NF18-bundle2.jpg

NF18-bundle3.jpg

Wow. This is cool.

Thanks...I think so, too.

I remember seeing old, wire-framed shopping carts full of comics bundles exactly like this one at the News Center in Camp Hill, PA, ca. 1975 or so, when my dad dragged me along to buy his cigarettes there -- I guess that was when they were loading the racks with the new books.

Back then, I had no earthly idea that there were that many comic books in the world... :cloud9: