• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you feel about a slabbing only service?

58 posts in this topic

I mentioned this in another thread, but figured i would throw it out to the bigger audience.

How would the community feel about either one of the existing or possibly a new third party offering a slabbing only service?

Basically they would slab a book for protection and display only....no grades, no certifications....strictly slabbing.

Thoughts?

Could this be a viable business opportunity or is it something that the community would even want?

:gossip: They already do it.

Actionpage.jpg

Not really, though. The NG designation is not for someone to send in and they just encase it.

This is off-topic, but I know a lot of people that wish CGC would offer a restoration check (no grading or encapsulation) with quick turnaround. I think this is a huge tangential opportunity that wouldn't necessarily decrease grading sales.

There's other places you can go for a resto check. Why wait for CGC to offer it?

Trust.

Most comic book collectors aren't as sophisticated as many here on the boards. Yet, CGC is a household name to most of them.

O, you mean you want the resto check and the case, without the grade? If you're just getting the check without the case, where's the trust?

No. Just restoration check. As stated originally, no grading or encapsulation.

There's a huge untapped "raw collector" market out there that, for whatever reason, doesn't want or need third-party grading or plastic cases, but sees value in CGC's restoration detection expertise. This is especially true for buyers making a significant purchase.

The encapsulation is what makes the resto check "portable" and thus valuable.

Otherwise the resto-check is a service that only has limited and very ephemeral value.

As soon as the book leaves CGC's hands on a resto check the claims of "resto free" become worthless without some form of protection to keep the book from being restored subsequent to the resto check.

Please see my last post.

I understand what you are saying, but what you describe would only be the case for someone who wants to sell the book to someone else with a restoration guarantee.

There is a huge "raw" market out there that doesn't want or need encapsulation or grading, but wants restoration check to verify that the book they are purchasing is indeed restoration free.

This is off-topic, but I know a lot of people that wish CGC would offer a restoration check (no grading or encapsulation) with quick turnaround. I think this is a huge tangential opportunity that wouldn't necessarily decrease grading sales.

There's other places you can go for a resto check. Why wait for CGC to offer it?

Trust.

Most comic book collectors aren't as sophisticated as many here on the boards. Yet, CGC is a household name to most of them.

O, you mean you want the resto check and the case, without the grade? If you're just getting the check without the case, where's the trust?

There's a huge untapped "raw collector" market out there that, for whatever reason, doesn't want or need third-party grading or plastic cases, but sees value in CGC's restoration detection expertise. This is especially true for buyers making a significant purchase.

Otherwise the resto-check is a service that only has limited and very ephemeral value.

As soon as the book leaves CGC's hands on a resto check the claims of "resto free" become worthless without some form of protection to keep the book from being restored subsequent to the resto check.

Please see my last post.

I understand what you are saying, but what you describe would only be the case for someone who wants to sell the book to someone else with a restoration guarantee.

There is a huge "raw" market out there that doesn't want or need encapsulation or grading, but wants restoration check to verify that the book they are purchasing is indeed restoration free.

If you're selling the book, how do you prove it's been through a resto check and that you haven't restored the book after it's been checked?

Like Miraclemet said - I think the better solution is creating a comic book snap case that is the same dimensions, look and feel as a CGC slab (without infringing on their patents) but the case opens up to allow you access to the book for inspection, etc.

You build one of those, and I think you'll have something. It's very cottage-industry as well. You can create companies that inspect books in those special cases, then put a sticker on them that voids the grade if broken (like the ones on internal computer parts).

Trust.

Please see my last post.

If you're selling the book, how do you prove it's been through a resto check and that you haven't restored the book after it's been checked?

I think that Shell would say that his intent isnt to use the resto check as a selling point down the road. But CGC cant control what the seller does, other sellers might do just that. From CGC's perspective they wouldnt want to risk their reputation for the sake of the added income of a resto check (which wouldnt be big money in my mind, since most of their cost is in the slabbing). So a little more revenue at the risk of hurting their reputation... not worth it.

Trust.

Please see my last post.

So you are advocating a buyer being the one to request the resto check?

Trust.

Please see my last post.

You don't. This service is specifically for buyers of "raw" comic books.

Trust.

Please see my last post.

So you are advocating a buyer being the one to request the resto check?

Many buyers want this service.

I'm describing an untapped market opportunity for CGC that provides value to the collecting community.

Trust.

Please see my last post.

There are people, like joeypost, who will do the same, cheaper and faster.

I question whether this is true or not.

Many buyers want this service.

I'm describing an untapped market opportunity for CGC that provides value to the collecting community.

I don't doubt it. I just wanted to figure out what you were thinking in terms of how it would work.

Trust.

Please see my last post.

There are people, like joeypost, who will do the same, cheaper and faster.

Yes, and that's a valuable service. But many, and I would venture to say most, comic book collectors are only aware of CGC.

Yes, and that's a valuable service. But many, and I would venture to say most, comic book collectors are only aware of CGC.

And you'll probably find a huge chunk of comic collectors don't give two about CGC.

Guys, there are numerous other threads with complaints abound about the CGC backlog and turnaround time. People are making, IMO crazy, suggestions like they should stop onsite grading, etc. Why are we making suggestions for yet another new service ?

I have been told, on the phone by CGC, that the restoration check is probably the most time consuming step. At best, it would probably only save you a couple dollars, might as well get the book graded. Just saying.

Guys, there are numerous other threads with complaints abound about the CGC backlog and turnaround time. People are making, IMO crazy, suggestions like they should stop onsite grading, etc. Why are we making suggestions for yet another new service ?

I have been told, on the phone by CGC, that the restoration check is probably the most time consuming step. At best, it would probably only save you a couple dollars, might as well get the book graded. Just saying.

But then what would happen to all the hand-wringing and bald speculation?

But then what would happen to all the hand-wringing and bald speculation?

Where's the NOD when you need it?

And you'll probably find a huge chunk of comic collectors don't give two about CGC.

I've worked a lot of shows over the past few years and raw books outsell graded books by a hefty margin. It's only a small segment of the comic collecting community that trades in graded books.

I've worked a lot of shows over the past few years and raw books outsell graded books by a hefty margin. It's only a small segment of the comic collecting community that trades in graded books.

Bingo.

We exist in the rarefied strata to most of the comic collecting community.

All that's missing from the current encapsulation market is a sealable top-loader for raw books. The benefit of top-loaders are the fact that they provide protection where needed (spine, and to a lesser extent, front and back) while being light weight, flat (stackable) & space saving (about 1/2 the thickness of a CGC holder)

Apparently top-loaders don't contain volatile vinyl plasticizers that can be detrimental to pulp paper. So, in theory at least, they're archival, not to mention inexpensive. Used in conjunction with Mylar bags they provide cheap, secure and attractive storage for raw comics. What top-loaders don't provide is any sealing mechanism. (shrug)

This isn't a serious oversight, but the addition of some kind of top locking mechanism could make an already useful product just that much better for long term storage of raw books. When used with Mylar envelopes top-loaders protect spines better than a backing board & bag system.

Currently the best way to use top-loaders is with flapped Mylar bags. Of course, removal and insertion of comics stored in thicker Mylar always poses a risk. :eek:

Any thoughts?