• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is It Possible To Quit Comics?

102 posts in this topic

I quit once. Back in '80-'81. Went back into hobby last year, albeit with a very narrow focus.

Comics aren't my own interests. Besides my family, which eats the lion's share of my time, I'm into computers, sports cards, firearms, and military/ancient history.

I quit in 1995, had actually stopped collecting in about 91.

Thought comics were something I did as I grew up. Started again in 2008. Its hard for me to not have a hobby or collect things. Comics are the things I do by default when there is nothing else to do.

I hope this time though I dont get bored or tired of collecting until I have reached certain goals.

I collected from 1970 to 1984. Picked up again in 1989 till 1993. After 9 years I passed by a thrift store while I was on the road travelling and picked up Spider-Man 1-5 (The 1990 McFarlane series) for $2.00 and was hooked again.

I Addictive...I would say yes. I feel that nostaligia also plays an important role. If I thumb through a book it is amazing how many memories are brought back to mind. In some cases, I can even remember the song playing on the radio as I originally read the book.

This post almost exactly duplicates my own experiences/feelings, (with a very slight difference in the years involved). I have always been more motivated by nostalgia than any other factor.

I am totally hooked and suspect I always will be. I only collect for fun, not investment which helps keep me sane.

I am also fortunate to be a part owner of a comic shop so I get to see the hobby from both sides. I have been pleasantly surprised to discover that helping others with building their collections is almost as much fun as building my own.

why would anyone quit comics? i've been at it for 40 years and many of my fondest non-family memories are comic book related. if i can't go out in the saddle, reading a comic book would be my second choice.

I have been vowing and declaring to quit comics off and on forever. Just can't seem to do it.

"Oh, what's one more IMSM on eBay?"

" Wow! That SS 1 can get pressed and cleaned out to a NM 9.2..."

Yes, the PLODS are getting cheaper and cheaper!"

Then I see stuff I get in the mail and cannot recall when or why I bid on something from ebay...just shows up, and I process the comic...

I have told October and several other CGCers that I keep intending to quit, and they All tell me the same thing: "Stop trying to quit and enjoy the hobby".

They are right.

CAL just can't quit...

I have been into comics for over 25 years and never EVAH did I think about quiting.

I have well over 10k comics and I would not even sell the biggest pile of junk out of my collection (and I own a lot of that junk). I guess I am addicted...

I had a break of 4ish years and at a con decided I would be fine to break out a few books I didn't sell off and have them signed. Now I spend nearly all my free time thinking about comics again.

You still had comics and you found yourself at a comic convention? I'm gonna say you weren't al that quit m'man. lol

Also, you seem familiar... hm

Has anyone ever had dream withdrawals? I quit for ten years with no problems but after I dipped my hands in the warm waters of eBay I started having dreams of driving to a comic shop that didn't exist and picking up current issues like I used to before the crash. I finally caved in and found an online subscription service. :acclaim:

I collected as a kid from about 77-90 then sold off the collection around that time. I was 17 or 18.

That collection was only a couple of long boxes without boards.

Picked it up again around 2004-5.

Between 90 and 2004 I purchased exactly 0 comics so I can definitely quit. Right now I'm planning to be in it at least until retirement though.

Has anyone ever had dream withdrawals?

On a bit of a tangent, I was ill the once when I was 18 and had strange dreams about the cover to Hulk #431 so I had to go and buy it.

I've "quit" twice. The first time was back in 1999, just after I closed my comic shop (I was somewhat burnt out on the whole industry at the time), and I was out of collecting anything for about a year or so before I picked back up full steam. The second time was in late 2004, when my needing to make financial sacrifices coincided nicely with the abysmal "Sins Past" ASM storyline, which was the last nail in the coffin of me buying anything new being put out at the time. I didn't start back up again until several years after that.

My guess is that I won't be able to completely quit until I'm ready to sell off the entire collection, which is at least another 10-15 years down the road. But once I'm out, I'm going to be out, at least from the collecting aspect -- I can see myself holding onto my Essentials, Archives, and Masterworks for reading purposes, but that's about it.

In my freshman year of college, I was pretty broke. I stopped reading for a little bit, but I really missed it. I went back about a year and a half later and filled in my little gap too. Little did I know I was filling in Spider-Man: The Other, but it was still nice to be reading comics again.

When my wife and I moved back east the cost of living clearly went way up. After we bought our house, we were struggling to make ends meet. I had a choice to make: 1) give up smoking or 2) give up comics. I quit smoking a little over two years ago. I still crave a smoke all the time, but I think I'm better for it.

So yea comics are pretty difficult to quit.

You still had comics and you found yourself at a comic convention? I'm gonna say you weren't al that quit m'man. lol

Also, you seem familiar... hm

Fair point, I should have said quit for obtaining more. I just will never get rid of some of my books. I should have known pulling a few out to be signed would bring back all those warm and fuzzy memories.

I might seem familiar because I was almost exclusively posting in SS and have rather recently ventured out into the rest of the area. I'm posting much more often now, less of a logged in lurker.

I think its probably easier to quit buying new issues than to get rid of everything and never buy another comic. I've quit buying new comics several times and am currently down to just a few series a month.

Ah yes, quitting new comics is a breeze. I quit back in the mid 80s, then gave them another shot about four years ago. They were terrible and expensive and gimmicky, so I dropped right back out. :)