• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

an offer they couldn't refuse? All Select #1

20 posts in this topic

I thought that guy's auction blurb stated that he wouldn't end auctions early?

It did.

......maybe it's a silveracre auction.....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Maybe I don't understand how it works (it wouldn't be the first time lol ), but what does eBay get out of allowing a seller to end an auction early? Isn't it likely that the deal moves off of eBay or do they have some way of preventing that? What does the seller have to gain from ending the auction early, other than avoiding eBay's FVF?

From a buyer's point of view, once the seller starts an auction, he should go all the way with it. Otherwise, the seller should list the book as a BIN with a high price and Best Offer activated. My 2c

I saw this auction as well... What maximium grade do you think this book's potential is? I was following this auction to see what the final hammer price is just b/c I was curious as to where this price would fall vs. grade of recent GPA data (if applicable)...

Maybe I don't understand how it works (it wouldn't be the first time lol ), but what does eBay get out of allowing a seller to end an auction early? Isn't it likely that the deal moves off of eBay or do they have some way of preventing that? What does the seller have to gain from ending the auction early, other than avoiding eBay's FVF?

From a buyer's point of view, once the seller starts an auction, he should go all the way with it. Otherwise, the seller should list the book as a BIN with a high price and Best Offer activated. My 2c

Actually as of this month, if there is a bid on an auction and you end it early, you will have to pay a fee.

From Ebay's site:

"Starting October 1, sellers will be charged a fee to end an Auction-style listing early if it has received a bid.

The fee will equal the amount of the final value fee had the listing ended naturally and sold for the highest bid received when the seller ended the listing."

I saw this auction as well... What maximium grade do you think this book's potential is? I was following this auction to see what the final hammer price is just b/c I was curious as to where this price would fall vs. grade of recent GPA data (if applicable)...

based on that lone angle picture, 4.0 maybe? Pressing could flatten that spine.

based on that lone angle picture, 4.0 maybe? Pressing could flatten that spine.

I thought it was a potential 4.5, maybe even a 5.0. I could be wrong, but either way the high bid of $5600 can't've been far off FMV after pressing.

Actually as of this month, if there is a bid on an auction and you end it early, you will have to pay a fee.

From Ebay's site:

"Starting October 1, sellers will be charged a fee to end an Auction-style listing early if it has received a bid.

The fee will equal the amount of the final value fee had the listing ended naturally and sold for the highest bid received when the seller ended the listing."

[align:center]Prodigy44,

Thanks for the information!

I'm glad to hear that eBay is finally taking some action.

So, I'm guessing 'greenstonecottage'

had to pay ebay something like 50 bucks

for ending the auction early?[/align]

[font:Times New Roman]I know this is pathetic, but here's a copy of a message

I had sent to an eBay seller last month [/font](who posted a book that I really wanted)

[font:Century Gothic]

Dear artfer,

If someone makes an offer...please forward to (my email address)

so that I can at least match it &/or offer you more!

Thanks[/font]

[font:Times New Roman]& fortunately, this was his response:[/font]

[font:Century Gothic]

Dear paperbackcatcom,

Don't worry - I won't end this early![/font]

(thumbs u [font:Times New Roman]Too Cool![/font] (thumbs u

Sometimes if a book has a BIN, its better to pull the trigger,if you really want the book badly enough, than to risk the seller ending the auction early because its no longer available. But even doing that doesn't guarantee that the sale is going to go thru if the seller has sold the book using a different venue. EJR

So, I'm guessing 'greenstonecottage'

had to pay ebay something like 50 bucks

for ending the auction early?[/align]

actually if the highest bid was around $5400 its more like $150 bucks... but Im sure the offline buyer offered to pay the fees...

Considering it graded out as a 5.0, whatever they paid doesnt seem like it paid off. Since a 7.0 went for ~$7k and in 2011 a 5.0 went for ~$5k whatever they offered was probably somewhere in there, and thus doesnt look like much profit... (if any)

but I guess thats why you roll the dice.

If the guy was not an often seller Im betting he doesnt know the frequent flurry of last minute bidding that occurs via the snipe engines out there.

Sparkle City snagged it, and possibly others from the same collection.

Grade on it appears to be CGC 5.0.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6119461&Main=276265#Post6119461

131353.jpg

If an auction for an in-demand book ends early, it's usually them.