• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hobby of the future

82 posts in this topic

Putting aside these high end sales, the sheer volume of game collectors out there is staggering, and that's the real indicator that games will be the "hobby of the future". Just go type in "game collection" into youtube and see how many thousands of relevant videos pop up.

I was never really into video games. Still am not. That's enough for me to avoid that hobby.

You're missing out. Not on the collecting front, but on the game-playing front.

Somehow I don't see Roy as the type of guy who would sit in front of a TV playing Call of Duty for 4 hours.

The right game will hook anyone.

No, you are absolutely correct. I've got an addictive personality and if I allowed video games in I'd probably be a gamer for life. I used to spend my entire pay every week in that arcade. I just had other distractions in my early teens (like guitar and cars), otherwise I'd probably be collecting these games now.

Putting aside these high end sales, the sheer volume of game collectors out there is staggering, and that's the real indicator that games will be the "hobby of the future". Just go type in "game collection" into youtube and see how many thousands of relevant videos pop up.

Collecting video games makes a lot of sense. Video games are a virtual world to this generation much like comics or books were to my generation.

Kids are playing those games in their adolescent years and developing an emotional attachment. When they hit their peak earning years they'll be willing to shell out big bucks to reconnect to their youth and those good times much like us.

I have a bunch of old Coleco vision games and controllers. I had been saving the boxes as well, but I think my wife convinced me to throw them out when we moved 22 years ago. I think the boxes are worth more then the games now.

Kids are playing those games in their adolescent years and developing an emotional attachment.

Yep, and the fact that all your senses are engaged intensify that experience. They're also challenging, and that challenge creates a lot of great memories, even for adults playing the games.

Graded video games? Where will it end? :ohnoez:

These are the future...

MatchbookCGC55.jpg

:shy:

This would make my father-in-law's head explode. He actually wrote a book about grading matchbooks and is developing a website dedicated to it :ohnoez:

I was never really into video games. Still am not. That's enough for me to avoid that hobby.

You're missing out. Not on the collecting front, but on the game-playing front.

Somehow I don't see Roy as the type of guy who would sit in front of a TV playing Call of Duty for 4 hours.

The right game will hook anyone.

No, you are absolutely correct. I've got an addictive personality and if I allowed video games in I'd probably be a gamer for life. I used to spend my entire pay every week in that arcade. I just had other distractions in my early teens (like guitar and cars), otherwise I'd probably be collecting these games now.

I always say that I'm grateful I didn't grow up with the kinds of games that are out today. I loved the NES when I was a kid, but it simply wasn't compelling enough to keep me indoors all the time, or divert my attention away from other hobbies (like comics).

Playing these games as an adult, I can control myself. If I were a kid now, I'd be hopelessly lost to Skyrim and Call of Duty.

Kids are playing those games in their adolescent years and developing an emotional attachment.

Yep, and the fact that all your senses are engaged intensify that experience. They're also challenging, and that challenge creates a lot of great memories, even for adults playing the games.

I'd agree with that. I mean, I'm pretty much into comics as an adult because of the connections I made with them as a kid. As much as I've wondered why people grade games - why should it be any different than the desire to collect comics?

And people will often go back and replay games much like many of us did rereading comics or books. And the games now have so much content and some play different depending on choices you make as you progress through the game.

I can video game artists and voice actors become the guest stars of the future at pop culture events much like actors and comic artists are now.

I'd agree with that. I mean, I'm pretty much into comics as an adult because of the connections I made with them as a kid. As much as I've wondered why people grade games - why should it be any different than the desire to collect comics?

You can collect comics without having them graded. While I agree to each their own...I also think the encapsulation of comics, toys and video games is :screwy:

I’m showing my old age, but I’ve never understood the appeal of collecting ‘high grade’ video games for big bucks. Pretty much every other type of ephemera I can think of that’s been collected up to now I can understand, and collecting old games for the sake of collecting old games I can understand, but I still can’t wrap my head around the prices MIB games generate.

I'd like to play games, my son is 11 and he would really enjoy sharing them with me but I've found I'm simply too pathetic with the controllers to be any good at them...for example, I tried playing Iron Man and would simply end up spinning in a corner. I can Wii ok but he's more into his XBox and PS3 games. generational thing I imagine (I'm 47), although I'm sure if I devoted a few continuous days I'd get the hang of it.

And people will often go back and replay games much like many of us did rereading comics or books. And the games now have so much content and some play different depending on choices you make as you progress through the game.

I can video game artists and voice actors become the guest stars of the future at pop culture events much like actors and comic artists are now.

It's already happening. There are voice-actors who have become famous with video game fans, and there are also celebrities who lend their faces and voices to video game characters, like Martin Sheen.

martin-sheen-illusive-man-300x220.jpg

Yvonne-Strahovski-Miranda-Lawson-Mass-Effect-3-500x317.jpg

I’m showing my old age, but I’ve never understood the appeal of collecting ‘high grade’ video games for big bucks. Pretty much every other type of ephemera I can think of that’s been collected up to now I can understand, and collecting old games for the sake of collecting old games I can understand, but I still can’t wrap my head around the prices MIB games generate.

Objectively speaking, is it really much harder than understanding price differences for 9.0-9.8 comics?

I'd like to play games, my son is 11 and he would really enjoy sharing them with me but I've found I'm simply too pathetic with the controllers to be any good at them...for example, I tried playing Iron Man and would simply end up spinning in a corner. I can Wii ok but he's more into his XBox and PS3 games. generational thing I imagine (I'm 47), although I'm sure if I devoted a few continuous days I'd get the hang of it.

In your defense, as far as video game mechanics go, the controls on Iron Man are known for being horrendous.

But actually, yours is a common complaint. For people who didn't grow up with controllers in their hands, it's a surprisingly difficult hurdle to overcome. My ex girlfriend was interested in playing games with me, but getting a handle on the controller was maddening for her.

Objectively speaking, is it really much harder than understanding price differences for 9.0-9.8 comics?

Probably not, but on a gut level, it just seems different. Maybe if I examine it long enough I'll realize it is the same, but a video game in a shiny box doesn't have the aesthetic appeal or cache as an objec't d'art that a comic, or coin, or matchbook or whatever does.

I think old disposable items that have survived are cool for sure, but even unopened models and toys don't fetch those kinds of crazy prizes.

You can collect comics without having them graded. While I agree to each their own...I also think the encapsulation of comics, toys and video games is :screwy:

Right now, I pretty much look at graded comics as a way to ensure that what I am buying is what it is - no surprises, and it helps on the resale end as well, should I sell it down the line. To me, that is the benefit. I have no idea if game collectors approach it the same way...

Does this factor in to any of it?:

North American video game crash of 1983

Tons of "game" memories, none of them console. :( Nostalgia is C-64 stuff, then Amiga 500 goodness. :cloud9:

Wow. I never knew that. In 1984, my mom came home with an Apple IIc, and I pretty much never touched a video game console after that. I guess that must have happened in a lot of households.

Does this factor in to any of it?:

North American video game crash of 1983

Absolutely. The game crash led to American companies throwing in the towel, so when Japanese companies - Nintendo and Sega - emerged, they took control of the market and subsequently set the trajectory of home consoles going forward.

Who knows what game consoles would have been like otherwise. They may not exist today at all.

but a video game in a shiny box doesn't have the aesthetic appeal or cache as an objec't d'art that a comic, or coin, or matchbook or whatever does.

I don't disagree, but I understand why others collect them. Personally I love video games, but my money actually goes into buying stuff I want to play/use. I tried getting into sealed stuff a few times, but it never took hold. I'd rather spend $500 on new consoles or games to play than a collectible game piece.