• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld Announces His Retirement From Comics

96 posts in this topic

Rob Liefeld announces his retirement from comics.

Liefeld recently stormed out of DC in a barrage of tweets, but it was still expected that he would continue to work in comics, whether on Infinite with Robert Kirkman, the Extreme line for Image, or on projects such as his Scriptural Zombie comic or even getting rounf to finishing Youngblood Bloodsport.

But it appears it is not to be. Rob Liefeld is 45.

The world will never be the same.

cap.jpeg

Thoughts? Pictures? :)

This is so.old.and.boring.

Liefeld bashing to what purpose? He may not have been in your top 10 favourite artists, and his ability to draw anatomy was/is? questionable, but have you taken a look at Kirby's anatomy? Or Frank Millers' or some of the other giants in the industry? Thier anatomy is horrible too, but they can layout a story with excellent pacing, cinematic movement and flow.

To many people in the early 90s, Rob Liefeld did the same and I think he was more successful at it than many of today's 'hot' artists. So enough with the Liefeld bashing, already.

Liefeld recently stormed out of DC in a barrage of tweets, but it was still expected that he would continue to work in comics, whether on Infinite with Robert Kirkman, the Extreme line for Image, or on projects such as his Scriptural Zombie comic or even getting rounf to finishing Youngblood Bloodsport.

cap.jpeg

Liefeld bashing to what purpose? He may not have been in your top 10 favourite artists, and his ability to draw anatomy was/is? questionable, but have you taken a look at Kirby's anatomy? Or Frank Millers' or some of the other giants in the industry? Thier anatomy is horrible too, but they can layout a story with excellent pacing, cinematic movement and flow.

To many people in the early 90s, Rob Liefeld did the same and I think he was more successful at it than many of today's 'hot' artists. So enough with the Liefeld bashing, already.

:eyeroll:

:roflmao:

Anyway like Kirkman said, Liefeld is up there with Kirby so I can't say this is the first time I see the two of them compared... :tonofbricks:

Humberto Ramos sends his sympathies.

008.jpg

I like Ramos' art. I find it refreshing.

He clearly can draw, but he has embraced some stylistic choices which exaggerate and cartoonify the work in a way that I can completely understand is unlikeable to most.

My nominee for the most unlikeable drawings ever published in a Marvel comic:

602451_3579956392258_154866280_n.jpg

and

560735_3579956232254_2083365383_n.jpg

Or it could be analogous to a pop star who announces their retirement and then starts touring again a few years later, and then repeats the tearful finale over and over again. I wouldn't take it seriously. Mind you, in this case I don't actually care enough to do that. (shrug)

lol beautifully said Paul

008.jpg

He clearly can draw, but he has embraced some stylistic choices which exaggerate and cartoonify the work in a way that I can completely understand is unlikeable to most.

My nominee for the most unlikeable drawings ever published in a Marvel comic:

602451_3579956392258_154866280_n.jpg

and

560735_3579956232254_2083365383_n.jpg

I don't mind that so much. As someone else said that's a guy who can draw making stylistic choices.

However I am proud to say I detested Liefeld's art then, and I detest it now. Liefeld bashing may be easy, but its fun :D too

He's unethical, plain and simple. His bashing for all eternity is deserved. Here's just a smattering of douchey things that he's done:

• Repackaging ideas and concepts to create knock-off characters like Agent America that was so close to Captain America that Marvel threatened him with legal action. Or wanting to buy the rights to Kirby's and Simon's Fighting American character - but deciding it was too much, so he just created a rip-off character to dilute the identity and pressure the rights holders to sell it for cheaper.

• Writing Image checks to cover personal expenses and pay bills for his non-image publishing venture Maximum Press.

• Creating an X-Themed/Mutant superpowered comic team for Malibu Comics while working for Marvel, only to stop production on it after he was threatened with being fired.

• Copying art/panels from other artists and not giving credit (to Byrne or Perez for instance)or passing it off as his own.

• Head hunting and stealing Image artists along with using Image staff to do promotional work for his own (non-Image) publishing company.

I could have at least respected Liefeld for toughing out artistic criticism to be successful, but these are traits of someone who is extremely unethical and his success seems to come from the fact he is either screwing someone over or his ideas are derivative of someone else's - not talent, perseverance or skill.

• Repackaging ideas and concepts to create knock-off characters like Agent America that was so close to Captain America that Marvel threatened him with legal action. Or wanting to buy the rights to Kirby's and Simon's Fighting American character - but deciding it was too much, so he just created a rip-off character to dilute the identity and pressure the rights holders to sell it for cheaper.

Not to mention his greatest character (Deadpool) is just a cheap copy of Deathstroke...

sad to see him go, even if his pictures were not that great, sucks that he quit so early

I agree. Regardless of whether people think he sucks or not (you can compare to him to Hanna Barbara artists of you want) he had a lot of followers, made an impact in the hobby and endeared a lot of readers.

$100 says he is just being a drama queen and will be back in the business down the road.

sad to see him go, even if his pictures were not that great, sucks that he quit so early

I agree. Regardless of whether people think he sucks or not (you can compare to him to Hanna Barbara artists of you want) he had a lot of followers, made an impact in the hobby and endeared a lot of readers.

$100 says he is just being a drama queen and will be back in the business down the road.

I agree. Unless he's been practicing "Do you want fries with that?" and is ready to make the only career change he's qualified for.

008.jpg

Refreshing like a York Peppermint Patty?

No I think Roy means as refreshing as an enema after being locked up in a Taco Bell for a week.

That does sound pretty refreshing actually hm

Agreed. Too bad

cap.jpeg

:eyeroll:

:eyeroll: X 100

Eh... It's somewhat true. I wouldn't say Kirby or Miller are bad like Liefeld, but plenty of artists out there are, including some who are actually Liefeld clones. I was reading the first Anita Blake trade and part way through I had to flip back to the credits and make sure Liefeld wasn't the illustrator. It looked exactly like his work, god awful panels with missing limbs and funhouse mirror anatomy and all, and yet I can't find anyone online making fun of Brett Booth. I got rid of that trade or else I'd post some great examples.