• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld Announces His Retirement From Comics

96 posts in this topic

I loved New Mutants. That book was my first subscription. The only other one was Excalibur. When Liefeld came onto the comic, I stopped collecting it, awful awful "art". I never understood the attraction in his work. Maybe it was the same thing as a supermodel who has a huge gap between her front teeth, or a hypercar that's all angles and corners...so bad its good. I hated it tho. ;)

Having read the link in Shellhead's post I see that Liefeld went to the Mario Lemieux/Dominik Hasek school of being retired! :D

James

• Repackaging ideas and concepts to create knock-off characters like Agent America that was so close to Captain America that Marvel threatened him with legal action. Or wanting to buy the rights to Kirby's and Simon's Fighting American character - but deciding it was too much, so he just created a rip-off character to dilute the identity and pressure the rights holders to sell it for cheaper.

Not to mention his greatest character (Deadpool) is just a cheap copy of Deathstroke...

He created Deadpool? He deserves castigating just for that crime.

sad to see him go, even if his pictures were not that great, sucks that he quit so early

I agree. Regardless of whether people think he sucks or not (you can compare to him to Hanna Barbara artists of you want) he had a lot of followers, made an impact in the hobby and endeared a lot of readers.

$100 says he is just being a drama queen and will be back in the business down the road.

(thumbs u From Rob:

"I am NOT retired from comics. Taking some time off and will be back at it soon. Thanks!"

"No I am not permanently retired from comics. I’m too young! Momentarily, yes. Geez, let a guy enjoy some R and R"

"My mistake is that I don’t give facebook comments the same weight as I do twitter rants. Lesson learned."

sad to see him go, even if his pictures were not that great, sucks that he quit so early

I agree. Regardless of whether people think he sucks or not (you can compare to him to Hanna Barbara artists of you want) he had a lot of followers, made an impact in the hobby and endeared a lot of readers.

$100 says he is just being a drama queen and will be back in the business down the road.

(thumbs u From Rob:

"I am NOT retired from comics. Taking some time off and will be back at it soon. Thanks!"

"No I am not permanently retired from comics. I’m too young! Momentarily, yes. Geez, let a guy enjoy some R and R"

"My mistake is that I don’t give facebook comments the same weight as I do twitter rants. Lesson learned."

Curses! :facepalm:

(thumbs u From Rob:

"No I am not permanently retired from comics. Im too young! Momentarily, yes. Geez, let a guy enjoy some R and R"

"My mistake is that I dont give facebook comments the same weight as I do twitter rants. Lesson learned."

Curses! :facepalm:

Krap :cry:

I was expecting him to say he was retired, then come back and compare himself to Michael Jordan and all he accomplished after his first "retirement."

Now I'd pay to see Liefeld play minor league baseball, if he's gonna pull a Jordan in that way.