• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiz Comics #2 (#1) CGC 9.0

148 posts in this topic

So what I`m basically seeing is that the lowly Whiz 2 in 9.0 is now more valuable than the much vaunted Marvel Comics 1 in 9.0. hm

Ain't that a hoot?

Well it is definitely more rare. We will have to wait and see if it gets recycled as often. I hope not ! :wishluck:

So what I`m basically seeing is that the lowly Whiz 2 in 9.0 is now more valuable than the much vaunted Marvel Comics 1 in 9.0. hm

Ain't that a hoot?

Well it is definitely more rare. We will have to wait and see if it gets recycled as often. I hope not ! :wishluck:

Whiz has a fan base second to none. Always has, always will. :golfclap:

Ain't that a hoot?

I'm sure being the highest graded copy obviously played a significant role in the final hammer price. All things equal would it still be worth more than the Marvel?

Edited by Twistty1

All I know is that I'd rather have Whiz 1 or Marvel 1 over Action 1 and 'Tec 27. Don't know why, as I'm a big Batman/Supes fan. There's just something really cool about those books.

Ain't that a hoot?

I'm sure being the highest graded copy obviously played a significant role in the final hammer price. All things equal would it still be worth more than the Marvel?

if there was only one cgc 9.0 (and library of congress copy to boot) of marvel 1 brought fresh to market my guess it is would sell for way more than 281 (I know I would be willing to pay more for it than the whiz)

Ain't that a hoot?

if there was only one cgc 9.0 (and library of congress copy to boot) of marvel 1 brought fresh to market my guess it is would sell for way more than 281 (I know I would be willing to pay more for it than the whiz)

:o

Ain't that a hoot?

Probably, but we have to go with what has happened not what may happen. hm

Not to dock on Whiz comics or any Captain Marvel comics, but I just don't quite see the importance in Captain Marvel. He really doesn't stand out to me at all and everytime I think of him, I think of a reproduction of Superman. Maybe because I did not grow up watching him on tv or collecting any comics/toys that has something to do with Captain Marvel. I dunno..

Ain't that a hoot?

I guess I missed the news about the Library of Congress releasing comics. What other comics did they release and who technically owns then when they release them? Does the money go back to the Library of Congress?

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

This book sold for $281,001 back in 2012.

A 1.8 sold for $49,500 last year.

How much would the 9.0 go for in 2020?

404C5606-1E12-4FBC-B4C8-2EB0B9DF99F4.jpeg

06110229-5F5B-4157-BB25-CCF35EF572C4.jpeg

The 1.8 did sell for that, but a 6.0 sold for $150K only a month after the 1.8, which was $25K less than it sold for in 2011. I think if the 9.0 sold today it would go for $400K-$500K tops.

42 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

My guess is about half that ...that’s what I’d pay 

So we got an underbidder at $500K.  I'm guessing that it would be in the same league as the AS 8 9.4 and CA 1 9.4.  Not a million dollar book, but a closer to $1M than $500K. 

After all, it is the book for advanced collectors:  CM was arguably more popular than Superman.  The only reason he disappeared in the early 1950s, after CA and most of the DC/AA stable had been put to bed, was due to a lawsuit. He didn't lose popularity, he was executed (or was that CM Jr.?).  

He had the movie serials and high profile, and he's in a movie recently (and a 70s tv show, etc.).  I think his profile, historical import, and rarity make Whiz 2 a marque book on a level that AS 8 and CA 1 should not be.  CA and CM are both rip-offs of concepts made popular by others, but CM 1 was MUCH more successful in the GA.