• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiz Comics #2 (#1) CGC 9.0

148 posts in this topic

So how did a Whiz #1 get stolen?????

Someone took a whiz.

was a ring of thieves last year at NYCC

So how much you quietly pay the thief?

I believe the thieves were caught the following year, but the whiz was never recovered, to the best of my knowledge...

they stole about 15K of comics from our booth that year too, one very unique book that I have never seen hit the market since :cry:

I think it was Oct 2010 that the books were stolen.

They're a national ring of thieves that stole and resold books on both coasts.

Proud to say that we didn't have any thefts this year at NY Comic Con this year thanks to GAtor's hawk eyes!

I think it was Oct 2010 that the books were stolen.

They're a national ring of thieves that stole and resold books on both coasts.

Proud to say that we didn't have any thefts this year at NY Comic Con this year thanks to GAtor's hawk eyes!

that's right, we got hit in 2010, so that must have been when the whiz was taken...it was last year (2011) that the ring was caught), and 2012 was smooth sailing

here is the book , when I owned it:

whiz1-1.jpg

What a beauty :cloud9:

Initially I was hesitating go after the book because of the tape and when I finally made up my mind to buy it, I had to read on the boards that it was stolen.

It looks however as if a lot of us were interested in it back then.

I don't think I've heard anyone say "Shazam" since watching a Gomer Pyle rerun many years ago.

I think they've revived the phrase on the TV show "The Big Bang Theory".

They have a red "Shazam" t-shirt with the big yellow lightning bolt on it.

I don't think I've heard anyone say "Shazam" since watching a Gomer Pyle rerun many years ago.

BAZINGA!

BAZINGA!

That's a combination of two genius elements.

I'd love to see Sheldon wear a Cap Marvel costume

Here is the internet link for the origin story. Worth reading for sure, a couple of panels missing (where the large weight falls on the original Shazam, the 7 deadly sins in the subway, etc):

http://majorspoilers.com/2012/10/07/retro-review-whiz-comics-2/

Anyone who appreciates comic history has to love this story. Notice how Plain Jane that Beck's backgrounds were (blue wall, gray sky, black cloud, etc). Nothing fancy but he was a master with a pen. :golfclap:

Thanks for the link (thumbs u

Without a doubt...the most important book to come to auction this year...it is a great to see a white back cover. I reread this book on the internet...what a great first issue and read.

I value the book at 457K, I think the price however will be a lot less, with a guess at 251K

Why the discrepancy? If it sells for $250K, why is that not its value?

In the early days of fandom, whiz 2 and Action 1 went toe to toe, with action 1 being more available in higher grades. Both books hit the 1k mark first.

But the new comic that hit the stands in the 80's sold very well the first issue, but lacked the punch of the marvel line, and began to drop off. If they had not brought in the new version then Capt Marvel would of have been the stuff of legend's and would of at least put up a good fight but the new books tarnished the value of the old and hence CM has been lost. As people forget the 80's crapp, the value is gonna come back and big time.

For years in early fandom, the Whiz 2 book was so "good" that the second and following issues just did not measure up to that, when they ran the 12 issues or 10 issues iconic battle...they were back and an excellent hardcover reprint book full size in the 80's or 90's.

CM has a long way to go, Only a sharp, and I mean really sharp veteran collection KNOWS the only way the book is gonna go is UP. BUT the short, quick sale, double your profit in an instant is not gonna work. It is gonna take time, more time to really let the book find its place in comic book value history. A great long term hold, a great book itself, condition is amazing....the best book of the year by far to be offered at auction. I stick by my estimate 251K, I stick by my value 457 9.0, 506K for 9.2, 539K for 9.4 with 1 million in the future for 9.0 or above, especially if the white back cover is super clean.

This is gonna take BOTH a collector and Investor to pull the trigger.

Edited by Mmehdy

Without a doubt...the most important book to come to auction this year...it is a great to see a white back cover. I reread this book on the internet...what a great first issue and read.

I value the book at 457K, I think the price however will be a lot less, with a guess at 251K

In the early days of fandom, whiz 2 and Action 1 went toe to toe, with action 1 being more available in higher grades. Both books hit the 1k mark first.

But the new comic that hit the stands in the 80's sold very well the first issue, but lacked the punch of the marvel line, and began to drop off. If they had not brought in the new version then Capt Marvel would of have been the stuff of legend's and would of at least put up a good fight but the new books tarnished the value of the old and hence CM has been lost. As people forget the 80's crapp, the value is gonna come back and big time.

For years in early fandom, the Whiz 2 book was so "good" that the second and following issues just did not measure up to that, when they ran the 12 issues or 10 issues iconic battle...they were back and an excellent hardcover reprint book full size in the 80's or 90's.

CM has a long way to go, Only a sharp, and I mean really sharp veteran collection KNOWS the only way the book is gonna go is UP. BUT the short, quick sale, double your profit in an instant is not gonna work. It is gonna take time, more time to really let the book find its place in comic book value history. A great long term hold, a great book itself, condition is amazing....the best book of the year by far to be offered at auction. I stick by my estimate 251K, I stick by my value 457 9.0, 506K for 9.2, 539K for 9.4 with 1 million in the future for 9.0 or above, especially if the white back cover is super clean.

absent a hot movie series that wakes up interest in Capt Marvel, the book will always only appeal to serious collectors. based entirely on its faded status as one of comics early mega key books,,,,, like many other faded GA "gotta have" key books from back in your heyday in the 70s.

Theres less and less reason to ever expect the values to rise sharply every year that passes. sorry. go ahead and buy another copy. better yet, sell yours now before it loses even more value... though its really doesnt matter for you since you are probably into it for 5K or less.

hey, maybe this IS your copy!

absent a hot movie series that wakes up interest in Capt Marvel, the book will always only appeal to serious collectors. based entirely on its faded status as one of comics early mega key books,,,,, like many other faded GA "gotta have" key books from back in your heyday in the 70s.

Theres less and less reason to ever expect the values to rise sharply every year that passes. sorry. go ahead and buy another copy. better yet, sell yours now before it loses even more value... though its really doesnt matter for you since you are probably into it for 5K or less.

Aman, you sound like this book is just "another" book. This iconic book is an ultra key, ultra rare, and has lots of famous history in it (Beck art for one). Shazam will 4-ever be instilled in the hearts of MANY. The value will catch up in time. (thumbs u :hi:

Aman, you sound like this book is just "another" book. This iconic book is an ultra key, ultra rare, and has lots of famous history in it (Beck art for one). Shazam will 4-ever be instilled in the hearts of MANY. The value will catch up in time. (thumbs u :hi:

I personally like shazam more than superman :o

My childhood of the 70s revolved around shazam tv show...my grandmother made me a shazam costume (and then Proceeded to beat my rear end when I lept from furniture to furniture...what'd she expect lol )

That said whiz 2/1 in general is a tough sell. Sure this phenomenal copy will do nicely and in general better results from unrestored copies reselling versus restored but over the past 10 years this book has been flat or even gone backwards. I would not "bank" on any major value increase short of some major rehauling of the character, which there has been no evidence of for decades

As mentioned i believe I have owned 10 copies over the past decade and I struggled (with 2 exceptions) to even get my cost out when I sold. But I love the book and the character so never really concerned me!