• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning encasements?

26 posts in this topic

I'm honestly not sure if this is the right board for this question.

Are there any recommended ways of lightly cleaning the encasement that wont damage the book?

Example: Would a damp paper towel be recommended for cleaning smudges and fingerprints on a CGC case or would even that be too risky?

On the rare ocassion I have to clean a slab, I use CD cleaning solution/cloth to clean up fingerprint spots. That stuff is made for plastic, and the cleaning cloth won't scratch the surface.

i think its an ok place to ask.

On the rare ocassion I have to clean a slab, I use CD cleaning solution/cloth to clean up fingerprint spots. That stuff is made for plastic, and the cleaning cloth won't scratch the surface.

My concern is less of scratching the surface of the encasement and more of damaging the book (the dreaded "water" damage).

I had a feeling cd cleaner or a slightly damp paper towel would be safe, but I wanted to make sure.

My concern is less of scratching the surface of the encasement and more of damaging the book (the dreaded "water" damage).

I had a feeling cd cleaner or slightly damp paper towel would be safe, but I want to make sure.

The book inside is pretty safe from an incidental overspray or liquid. I wouldn't go sticking it in the dishwasher, but knowing how they are put together, the only risk you run of water damage while cleaning is using an excess amount of cleaner at the top of the slab and having it damage the CGC label, which is not sealed in the inner well.

I have used Windex, Goo Gone, WD-40, Novus Plastic Polish, 409 and plain water to clean a slab. They all work with respect to what it is you are trying to remove. Just use common sense and don't dunk the slab in the stuff.

:screwy:

I have used Windex, Goo Gone, WD-40, Novus Plastic Polish, 409 and plain water to clean a slab. They all work with respect to what it is you are trying to remove. Just use common sense and don't dunk the slab in the stuff.

I fricken' break the gaw :sumo: ddam things and send them to the dump.

I concur with my colleague. Don't confuse Goo Gone with Goof Off. Goo Gone will not harm plastic, Goof Off will eat it instantly.

You guys are a bunch of slab-waxers :P

Well, you know what they say about lonely, nerdy comic geeks.

That they fantasize about other lonely, nerdy comic geeks while they wax their slabs?