• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

Not sure why it would automatically be boring. It would be a cop show with much more interesting and outrageous villains than the typical police procedural. Something like the "monster of the week" episodes of the X-Files, only with more action, mixed with organized crime centered shows like Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos.

Nah this is straight up boring. Gordon is a support character and making it like all the cop dramas does not spell ratings. Plus he would be outgunned and outmatched by super-villains without Batman as the lead. This is like making a show about the place Batman will appear in just he's not here now.

I'm not saying it won't be a good show. I just don't know why they would make a show about the GCPD and not use what IMHO is the best story made to date in Gotham Central. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. I absolutely love the way Rucka and Brubaker build characters and I just assumed DC and the producers would run with it.

Not sure why it would automatically be boring. It would be a cop show with much more interesting and outrageous villains than the typical police procedural. Something like the "monster of the week" episodes of the X-Files, only with more action, mixed with organized crime centered shows like Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos.

Nah this is straight up boring. Gordon is a support character and making it like all the cop dramas does not spell ratings. Plus he would be outgunned and outmatched by super-villains without Batman as the lead. This is like making a show about the place Batman will appear in just he's not here now.

NCIS is pretty much a cop show and its the number 1 show on television. CSI was the number 1 show for years and that is even more procedural than NCIS with even less action. So perhaps you would find it boring, the genre might not be your cup of tea, but there is a substantial market for this type of program.

It doesn't sound like you are very familiar with Batman. While a good number of his most prominent adversaries are beyond being dealt with by a regular cop, quite a few of them are regular old humans with no sort of superpower or otherwise enhanced ability. For every Clayface or Killer Croc there is a Black Mask or Mr. Zsasz. And again, while these characters source material is a comic book, a good many of them could exist theoretically in the real world, and their uniqueness would bring something to the table that other cop shows cannot.

My thoughts/picks for the next round of new series' modern speculation for me. These books look like they could be winners either due to personal tastes-knowing others have to have the same tastes as me, and just getting a better feel for the modern hot book/speculation crowd:

*The Witcher #1- Dark Horse This game has sold bajillions of copies worldwide, has plenty of cultish fans, has a novel series that is apparently way behind schedule for these rabid fans, and is a video game tie-in as already stated. These fans want more story and this is where they'll get it. A new game is slated for release later this year if I'm not mistaken.

4MKTQ74h.jpg

*ANNE BONNIE #1- Blue Juice Comics Here is an odd one that looks like a sleeper to me. Pirates, good looking cover art, and a premise that sounds interesting to boot. People are always looking for something fresh and new. Maybe this book will be the answer for them from a totally unknown publisher to my knowledge. The innards could be horrible so buyers beware- this could suck balls.

x5fJ3d1h.jpg

Moon Knight (vol.??)- Marvel Warren Ellis is penning MK which should be a dark, twisted tale. I don't expect this book to be under-ordered by any means, but yet I don' think it will be a heavy one either. If this iteration of MK is done well, expect it to pick up by the 3rd to 4th issue as far as back issue sales go. This is a slow burn expectation for me. It also has a weird animal/Marvel variant for cheap on DCBS that might be good at cover price.

ToL56IEh.jpg

HSYUNfgh.jpg

Silver Surfer #1 (vol.#??)- Marvel I might be biased on this one, but SS is definitely my favorite Marvel character. They can' seem to give him his own book worthy of a long time title anymore. He is always just relegated to cameo's and support status in mini's and such, but he is just much more than that. I don't like the fact that Allred is doing the art though. I don't hate his art, but don't think it is right for the Surfer IMO. There is also an animal variant with this one coupled with a Francavilla offering. The latter could do really well but I don't think I'll pop on it only because I never buy variants over $10.

l8cTjUZh.jpg

vNo1t3sh.jpg

CSNo5LSh.jpg

Again, these are just a few new series I'm considering banking on to a point. I won't get into any issues later in a series to speculate on as I just don't have the time to read through all the little nuances and teasers in each offering every month. New series just have that fresh start that is easy to try and speculate on to me in my spare time. Happy collecting, reading, and hunting to all!!! More to come from me soon.

Edited by gradejunky

*ANNE BONNIE #1- Blue Juice Comics Here is an odd one that looks like a sleeper to me. Pirates, good looking cover art, and a premise that sounds interesting to boot. People are always looking for something fresh and new. Maybe this book will be the answer for them from a totally unknown publisher to my knowledge. The innards could be horrible so buyers beware- this could suck balls.

I was given a free copy by a friend who owns a comic store. They were sent to all comic book stores - so variant hunters look out.

I did not like the book. 2c

Aldred will sink that Surfer book.

You're probably right. I hate the fact that he is doing the art. Maybe after a couple of arcs he leaves and someone more fitting to the Surfer is put in his stead. Only time will tell I guess right? The SS is just begging for a good series.... :wishluck:

I was given a free copy by a friend who owns a comic store. They were sent to all comic book stores - so variant hunters look out.

That is not good to hear. My speculation is already a bummer. It is things like this that help each other out in the long run. I was just going by cover art and premise, but alas, you say both are mess so I'll probably listen.

That is not good to hear. My speculation is already a bummer. It is things like this that help each other out in the long run. I was just going by cover art and premise, but alas, you say both are mess so I'll probably listen.

just go to your LCS and ask them if they got a copy.

I'm sure they'd let you read it!

You're probably right. I hate the fact that he is doing the art. Maybe after a couple of arcs he leaves and someone more fitting to the Surfer is put in his stead. Only time will tell I guess right? The SS is just begging for a good series.... :wishluck:

Put Hickman on Silver Surfer and watch wonders happen. :)

Your dreaming there. Marvel wouldn't pay him sadly. It would be awesome though.

I think Oeming and maybe Scott Eaton or any other Cosmic style artist. This ship wont make it long enough to get another artist I don't think.

Dan Jurgens did a nice job on Thor along time ago, I bet he could do Surfer. To save money he can write and draw it.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Your dreaming there. Marvel wouldn't pay him sadly. It would be awesome though.

I think Oeming and maybe Scott Eaton or any other Cosmic style artist. This ship wont make it long enough to get another artist I don't think.

Dan Jurgens did a nice job on Thor along time ago, I bet he could do Surfer. To save money he can write and draw it.

Yeah, such a shame. Hickman is the best sci-fi comic writer nowadays. And I feel that SS deserves an epic story grounded on plausible if not entirely accurate scientific principles.

I remember when Marvel launched its Marville program wherein they were accepting story proposals from its readers for a chance to be a writer for the House of Ideas, I almost submitted an SS story. :)

+1

I just bought his entire Fantastic Four run last night. He is golden on big, sweeping tales and they don't get much bigger than Silver Surfer and the beings he encounters.

Is Hickman's FF run available in trades?

Not only is it available in trades, it's also in a massive Omnibus. Well, the first half of it anyway. Volume 2, collecting the rest of the run, will be out some time this year.

Can't recommend it highly enough. I have said it before, and I'll say it again: Fantastic Four #604.1 is one of the best single issues I've read in recent years.