• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

This is what happens when you try to flip non-first prints.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360498739610?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

According to GPA there was a Revival #1 3rd print that sold for $11.00... That's a huge loss and I agree - second, third, fourth prints may have nice covers, complete your collection etc. and what you do with your money is fine, but why buy 10 or 20 copies? As far as speculation goes these books will never sell. Full stop.

I didn't know who said it,and you are right,of course.

For a non-mainstream book that would be huge.

However to say that 37k is 'small' is disingenous.

In this case though,the numbers are such that any gain would be small and brief and not worth speculating 100 copies worth.

37,000 for Batman is small....but.

DC aren't silly - if they thought they could have sold 100,000 I'm sure they would have printed them.

The 3k second print speaks volumes about DC's confidence abour sales.

Cheers

You've sidestepped the point. There were 157k sales on Snyder's latest book. If those people all wanted a copy of Tec #880 it's not going to happen is it? It's got nothing to do with original sales or DC's expectations, but the supply and demand of the aftermarket.

And the cover to Detective 871 (2nd print) is even cooler than the first print. I think both books and 880 will move in price. There are a number of people who consider Snyder's writing some of the best work that's ever been done on the character. If people are paying $25 for Batgirl 13 it's only a matter of time before those same people are paying $50 for Detective 871 and $100 for Detective 871 variant (that's what people call 2nd prints when they prefer the cover lol ).

It reminds me of WD 33 with the red and blue covers only b/c 871 2nd print has a 3K print run and the color change makes the 2nd print look awesome (unlike a lot of 2nd prints that just change the shade modesly or the color of the lettering. Ebay it and I think you'll agree with me. The only bad news is that it is hard to find 871 in nm/m condition.

That being said, Jock's ocver to 880 is one of my all time favorite covers and probably my favorite Joker cover. I haven't been able to find multiple copies in great condition either although I do have one copy that should be a 9.8 after it is pressed and if I have a little luck b/c unfortunately - you never know.

It reminds me of WD 33 with the red and blue covers only b/c 871 2nd print has a 3K print run and the color change makes the 2nd print look awesome (unlike a lot of 2nd prints that just change the shade modesly or the color of the lettering. Ebay it and I think you'll agree with me. The only bad news is that it is hard to find 871 in nm/m condition.

The difference between TWD and that Detective issue is that for TWD it's still possible to get a complete run (although it's getting tougher now). People are still trying to put them together which is why 33 2nd is worth more than the first.

With Tec, people aren't putting together full runs. Maybe if they try to put together only that Snyder run, yeah. Personally, it may take a while, but I think that WILL happen. IMO, Snyder is the best Batman writer I've ever read and that Detective run is even superior to what he is doing right now on the New 52 book.

And regarding the 37K, I agree with what the intelligent people in the thread said. It's not big for a Batman book. The Death in the Family books (Bats 426 - 429) still do ok and there is a HUGE print run on those comparatively. This Tec run is FAR superior to that mediocre story, IMO.

To the dude who called people buffoons, it's a matter of perspective. Batman is a wildly popular character. I'd rather be sitting on copies of these Tec books at 37K in print runs than copies of nearly any Image book with a print run less than 8K. If you are sitting on all Image books with tiny print runs, you are losing out big time right now. I read ALOT of Image and alot of it is NOT good and never goes anywhere. For instance, I'd rather be sitting on these Tec books than multiple copies of the Image books 27 or Skullkickers. Wouldn't you? And those were among the more popular Image books upon launch.

And in regards to "known talent," please tell me who has put out a #1 issue at less than 8K after Chew that got popular (and Layman was only slightly "known" and never popular). Kurtis Weibe - Peter Panzerfaust doesn't count because other than a one off Christmas Special for Marvel that he did, all he did was a few creator owned books from Image that weren't very good and no one read aside from me (yes, I read them all because I try alot of Image and love Riley Rossmo, but the stories were not good).

Edited by 400yrs

X-Men Annual #14

why you think it will increase in value?

Now apparently 1st appearance of gambit?

(%) probability that it will go up.

100% - new series is selling well & getting a lot of interest

what price do you think it will achieve?

$30 - $40

how long we should hold it? ie. long term/short term

flip the cheap one's now and buy more

As this heats up, do you think it will sink the value of 266? Or will the increased interest in Gambit also drive 266 as his first "full" appearance?

I hope this is gonna go up. I have a store that is sitting on approx 20 copies in NM- or better at cover price. They seem to be sellin online in the 4-9 range .. so I might cherry pick a half dozen of the best and play the waiting game.

Why do you all think this is going to go up? I don't quite understand. It has always been known as the Gambit 1st cameo or whatever.

I bought a bunch of NM-ish copies of it from my LCS for $1 apiece years ago and am still sitting on them. I think the fact that this is an annual really sinks it. Avengers Annual 10 is a cool and popular book, but it doesn't pull alot of cash unless it's a 9.6 or better slab.

The difference between TWD and that Detective issue is that for TWD it's still possible to get a complete run (although it's getting tougher now). People are still trying to put them together which is why 33 2nd is worth more than the first.

With Tec, people aren't putting together full runs. Maybe if they try to put together only that Snyder run, yeah. Personally, it may take a while, but I think that WILL happen. IMO, Snyder is the best Batman writer I've ever read and that Detective run is even superior to what he is doing right now on the New 52 book.

And regarding the 37K, I agree with what the intelligent people in the thread said. It's not big for a Batman book. The Death in the Family books (Bats 426 - 429) still do ok and there is a HUGE print run on those comparatively. This Tec run is FAR superior to that mediocre story, IMO.

To the dude who called people buffoons, it's a matter of perspective. Batman is a wildly popular character. I'd rather be sitting on copies of these Tec books at 37K in print runs than copies of nearly any Image book with a print run less than 8K. If you are sitting on all Image books with tiny print runs, you are losing out big time right now. I read ALOT of Image and alot of it is NOT good and never goes anywhere. For instance, I'd rather be sitting on these Tec books than multiple copies of the Image books 27 or Skullkickers. Wouldn't you? And those were among the more popular Image books upon launch.

And in regards to "known talent," please tell me who has put out a #1 issue at less than 8K after Chew that got popular (and Layman was only slightly "known" and never popular). Kurtis Weibe - Peter Panzerfaust doesn't count because other than a one off Christmas Special for Marvel that he did, all he did was a few creator owned books from Image that weren't very good and no one read aside from me (yes, I read them all because I try alot of Image and love Riley Rossmo, but the stories were not good).

Seeing as Chew and PP was what I was referring to - what now?

Who has ALL this years Image titles?

My points are valid wether you agree or not.

Convince me that a world famous brand didn't think that 37k was too few copies.

Here's Nov 2010 sales:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2010/2010-11.html

Outsold by Buffy would make you optimistic I'm sure. I can see your point.

Now the complete Runs - 871 - 881 are selling:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Batman-Detective-Comics-871-881-Complete-Scott-Snyder-Run-1st-Prints-/221132700654?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item337c893bee

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Detective-Comics-871-881-Batman-Joker-Snyder-Jock-Black-Mirror-/251170074407?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7ae72f27

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-871-881-COMPLETE-SCOTT-SNYDER-RUN-1ST-PRINTS-HOT-/251167403543?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7abe6e17

This last one is the best this month.

But you have to divide that by 11. And bags and boards and what you paid in the first place.

Getting $5.10 for a $3 comic after storage + postage after 2 years isn't what I would call hot.

On it's own:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-871-1ST-PRINT-HTF-VERY-RARE-HOT-1ST-SCOTT-SNYDER-BLACK-MIRROR-/300797826811?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4608f296fb

Sold yesterday - $8.

But,as you told us in a previous thread - you have been holding quite a stash for nearly 2 years, so I guess you have a vested interest.

Or you could go out and buy TWD #92 1st appearance of Jesus and turn your $3.99 into $35 inside 13 months.

I know which I did.

Good luck with your future sales. :foryou:

X-Men Annual #14

$30 - $40

As this heats up, do you think it will sink the value of 266? Or will the increased interest in Gambit also drive 266 as his first "full" appearance?

I hope this is gonna go up. I have a store that is sitting on approx 20 copies in NM- or better at cover price. They seem to be sellin online in the 4-9 range .. so I might cherry pick a half dozen of the best and play the waiting game.

Why do you all think this is going to go up? I don't quite understand. It has always been known as the Gambit 1st cameo or whatever.

I bought a bunch of NM-ish copies of it from my LCS for $1 apiece years ago and am still sitting on them. I think the fact that this is an annual really sinks it. Avengers Annual 10 is a cool and popular book, but it doesn't pull alot of cash unless it's a 9.6 or better slab.

I've had this book for years but never saw it as 1st Gambit.

It wasn't listed on comicspriceguide or comicbookrealm as such and is

always available on ebay cheap.

In the last few weeks however, everyone & their dogs are labelling it 1st Gambit

Convince me that a world famous brand didn't think that 37k was too few copies.

Here's Nov 2010 sales:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2010/2010-11.html

Outsold by Buffy would make you optimistic I'm sure. I can see your point.

Now the complete Runs - 871 - 881 are selling:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Batman-Detective-Comics-871-881-Complete-Scott-Snyder-Run-1st-Prints-/221132700654?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item337c893bee

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Detective-Comics-871-881-Batman-Joker-Snyder-Jock-Black-Mirror-/251170074407?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7ae72f27

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-871-881-COMPLETE-SCOTT-SNYDER-RUN-1ST-PRINTS-HOT-/251167403543?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7abe6e17

This last one is the best this month.

But you have to divide that by 11. And bags and boards and what you paid in the first place.

Getting $5.10 for a $3 comic after storage + postage after 2 years isn't what I would call hot.

On it's own:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-871-1ST-PRINT-HTF-VERY-RARE-HOT-1ST-SCOTT-SNYDER-BLACK-MIRROR-/300797826811?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4608f296fb

Sold yesterday - $8.

Detective Comics #871 - $14.25

Detective Comics #871 - $16.50

Detective Comics #871 - $29.95

Detective Comics #871 - $16.99

That's just from a very quick browse through. You can state $5 from lots (of course it isn't as the other issues in the run aren't fetching $5 each) and you can throw up $8 sales, but you must have a strange eBay search criteria to be missing the higher sales.

You must have missed where people have said his book will grow over time too, I don't believe anybody has said it's great for a quick flip. Which TWD obviously is at the moment.

Catwoman 13 seems to be a stick or twist right now Edit: in the UK. Pleanty of LCS offering multiple copies on BIN trying to undercut each other. They have shifted quite a bit of volume and still have 50-80 more to go before the undercutting cools off. Not a bad time to pick one up if you have missed out and are putting together a set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CATWOMAN-13-NM-DIE-CUT-1st-PRINT-/321011226259?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item4abdc29693

Edited by Garf

Catwoman 13 seems to be a stick or twist right now Edit: in the UK. Pleanty of LCS offering multiple copies on BIN trying to undercut each other. They have shifted quite a bit of volume and still have 50-80 more to go before the undercutting cools off. Not a bad time to pick one up if you have missed out and are putting together a set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CATWOMAN-13-NM-DIE-CUT-1st-PRINT-/321011226259?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item4abdc29693

Nope, they're being shipped out because re-stocks are arriving next week,

we have 17 coming.

Hence the reason that guy is offering "3 day special offer" as he knows they'll

be plentiful again next week

X-Men Annual #14

$30 - $40

I've had this book for years but never saw it as 1st Gambit.

It wasn't listed on comicspriceguide or comicbookrealm as such and is

always available on ebay cheap.

In the last few weeks however, everyone & their dogs are labelling it 1st Gambit

I agree, if you read the story they even state that it takes place AFTER issues 265-267.

I guess the Annual was release slightly before #266.. but is intended to be read after #266... ???

Nope, they're being shipped out because re-stocks are arriving next week,

we have 17 coming.

Hence the reason that guy is offering "3 day special offer" as he knows they'll

be plentiful again next week

had wondered.... thought the restock was supposed to be over a week ago

X-Men Annual #14

$30 - $40

There is a reason why your store has 20 copies. A they printed the hell out of it and B its a cameo so its never gone up in value much. X-men 266 is safe I dont see this book sky rocketing.

Daredevil #111 vol 1

why you think it will increase in value? 1st Silver Samurai (Kenuichio Harada) who will be in the new Wolverine movie

(%) probability that it will go up. 100%

what price do you think it will achieve? 20-40 75-100 for NM copies

how long we should hold it? ie. long term/short term short term right up till the Wolverine movie comes out

additional notes:

pickycollector sold a raw NM- copy here for $75

9.2 on clink for $120 last month.

So price is already higher than what I said doh! I guess the key word NM 9.0 or above. I wouldn't expect any of these prices anything below that. Right!

New Mutants 87.. first cable..

Whats going to make Cable hot again?

• why you think it will increase in value?
  • (%) probability that it will go up.
  • what price do you think it will achieve?
  • how long we should hold it? ie. long term/short term
  • additional notes: