• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

My pick for speculation? ANY mainstream Marvel title published between 1997 and 2001. Very low (~25K for SPIDER-MAN!) print runs, and you can buy them for literally pennies. Stick them away. The Rule of 25 always holds.

Excuse my ignornance, Dan, but how many years do we have to hold these for? Rule of 25; what's that?

My pick for speculation? ANY mainstream Marvel title published between 1997 and 2001. Very low (~25K for SPIDER-MAN!) print runs, and you can buy them for literally pennies. Stick them away. The Rule of 25 always holds.

Excuse my ignornance, Dan, but how many years do we have to hold these for? Rule of 25; what's that?

Rule of 25 is that things become "popular" approx every 25 years.

I think it's more that people become nostalgic for things they had in their childhood. It obviously doesn't work for everything though and there's a "rule of 25" and a "rule of 30"

mintcollector should be here any minute now lol

I think it's more that people become nostalgic for things they had in their childhood. It obviously doesn't work for everything though and there's a "rule of 25" and a "rule of 30"

mintcollector should be here any minute now lol

It certainly has worked for this hobby for a long time.

point-one-marvel-comics.jpg

why you think it will increase in value? 1st Appearance of new Nova, Sam Alexander.

(%) probability that it will go up. 100%

what price do you think it will achieve? $3. That's double what it is now.

how long we should hold it? Once the new series begins in January.

additional notes: He is already the Nova they use in the Spider-Man cartoon.

Seriously? You guys are going to speculate on books that go up $1.50 in price?

To measure a business's success you do not look at $ but % of profit.

This is how all businesses measure their individual stores.

smiley_nah.gif

NotQuiteRight.gif

The Death in the Family books (Bats 426 - 429) still do ok and there is a HUGE print run on those comparatively. This Tec run is FAR superior to that mediocre story, IMO.

:o

:mad:

:makepoint:

:sumo:

hm

:(

:cry:

I guess Mr. Mute-PicPoster must've re-read Death in the Family recently too. It was good for the time, but is not a great re-read.

Too bad you've lost your ability to type letters. Get a new keyboard. lol

Edited by 400yrs

Deadpool Hastings Variant #1 (Marvel Now)

why you think it will increase in value? Based on the previous success of Hastings variants and that there is a huge Deadpool fan base.

(%) probability that it will go up. 100% right out of the gate

what price do you think it will achieve? $40-50 Considering that I was selling the Avengers vs X-Men Hastings Variant #12 for that price, I an see this achieving the same or more since it's his #1 issue.

how long we should hold it? short term initial sales on Hastings will be hot. Easy quick flip.

additional notes: it will be an easy quick flip but the hardest part will be finding them in Near Mint condition and that the allocation from store to store varies greatly. I recall picking up 21 of the Avengers vs X-Men #12 from one store but that same exact store only received in 5 of the Uncanny Avengers #1 (1 was damaged) and I'm there as the guy is cutting the boxes open!!

What are your thoughts on the potential (speculation wise) of Manhattan Projects? I love this story, but I'm curious about the value potential of #1 and 2. The first issue has hovered between $18-$25 for a few months now. Do you see any growth?

The Death in the Family books (Bats 426 - 429) still do ok and there is a HUGE print run on those comparatively. This Tec run is FAR superior to that mediocre story, IMO.

:o

:mad:

:makepoint:

:sumo:

hm

:(

:cry:

I guess Mr. Mute-PicPoster must've re-read Death in the Family recently too. It was good for the time,

smiley_nah.gif

but is not a great re-read.

^^

Too bad you've lost your ability to type letters. Get a new keyboard. lol

fist.gif

What are your thoughts on the potential (speculation wise) of Manhattan Projects? I love this story, but I'm curious about the value potential of #1 and 2. The first issue has hovered between $18-$25 for a few months now. Do you see any growth?

I really like MP, but I don't think most readers would. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't speculate here, just read.

2c

Rightly or wrongly, I think there is close to zero chance of annual # 14 being accepted by collectors in general as the 1st appearance. X Men # 266 is too firmly entrenched as the 1st + it's the first storywise as well as having the prominent Gambit cover. It's a far more appealing issue and I don't think that the fact that the annual came out first can compete with the other points.

The fact that the annual came out first has always been known so I see no reason why it will go up in value significantly.

+100

If that issue hasn't caught on by now, and lets face it, that character is long past it's peak in popularity, it's a pretty much lock of a bet it won't.

Superior in what way? When DC reboots its universe again here in 2-3 years, it'll mean nothing. The reverberations of a Death in the Family on Batman lasted decades.

This new series may seem far more important, it's written to make you think that, but ultimately it's just a gimmick to pull in sales, and will end up having the long term importance of, say, Greg Rucka's run on Wonder Woman.

Remember how hot that was?

Short term, it'll make you money. Long term? A lot of people will sit around wondering why they paid that kind of money for those books.

Meanwhile A Death in the Family will still be considered a classic of its time.

When you can write stories and just go ape shte crazy with the characters, because DC knows they can erase it later, you can do all kinds of things to shock readers and increase sales.

When you have to create 'within the lines', and are still able to change the course of major character, now THAT's something to remember.

Chuck, I think he's just saying that Snyder's story arc is a better read than Death in the Family not that it is more important or a better long term investment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

George, I think that's what he meant as well, but he mixed his message and I accounted for both points. Snyder's a great writer, but he doesn't have the limitations that comics had back then.