• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undisclosed Datestamp from a major dealer...shoule I be annoyed?

12 posts in this topic

First off let me say that I recently upgraded one of my books. The new book is much nicer than the old one but one of the major reasons I felt the need to upgrade was because my old book had a datestamp on it. I bought the new book from a reputable dealer but was dissapointed to find that it had a datestamp on the backcover (I never saw a scan of the back cover).......I don't want to return the book because I got a good deal so I didn't even bother contacting the dealer but would anyone else be disturbed by this??? Even Bob Storms offers a refund if he doesn't tell you about a D.S. but I don't want one I just feel bad about the whole thing. sign-rantpost.gif

Eric

...Me?...not really,...a neat date stamp on the back cover doesn't bother me too much,....front cover,...yes,..but back??...not so much.....however, I can understand if it bothers you and I would think any decent dealer would take the book back especially if the stamp wasn't disclosed....

Wouldn't bother me a bit, but then again date stamps don't bother me. I do believe in full disclosure so to speak so it would certainly be expected that a dealer would either provide a scan or at least mention it in the listing? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...Me?...not really,...a neat date stamp on the back cover doesn't bother me too much,....front cover,...yes,..but back??...not so much.....however, I can understand if it bothers you and I would think any decent dealer would take the book back especially if the stamp wasn't disclosed....

I can see where your coming from and to be honest I harbor no ill will hence me not naming names and I don't really want a return because I love the comic. To be honest I don't know what I want I just feel awkward about the whole nondisclosure thing.

Eric

i fully agree that the date stamp should have been disclosed and perhaps you may not have purchased it at the given price knowing of it's presence. but, since you seem satisfied with the book, i'd just try to let it go. (or maybe at least make sure that the dealer is aware of your feelings........) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

First off let me say that I recently upgraded one of my books. The new book is much nicer than the old one but one of the major reasons I felt the need to upgrade was because my old book had a datestamp on it. I bought the new book from a reputable dealer but was dissapointed to find that it had a datestamp on the backcover (I never saw a scan of the back cover).......I don't want to return the book because I got a good deal so I didn't even bother contacting the dealer but would anyone else be disturbed by this???

I'd be annoyed, too. Your happiness with the book itself is a separate issue from whether everything about the book was fully disclosed (which, it obviously wasn't). You should communicate to the seller your disappointment and confusion - not in the book itself, but with the fact that the datestamp was not disclosed before the sale was made.

Feeling annoyed is certainly justified. While I like date stamps, I would still prefer to be told about them (as I feel they slightly reduce the "value" of the book - or at least put me in a slightly more advantageous postion as a buyer of a book that has a defect unloved by many).

ANYWAY - if you are ok with the book and the price keep it. But DO let the dealer know they forgot to disclose the date stamp. They may just be in need of a little wake-up call or reminder to not be so slack.

Having the date stamp on the back cover me is pretty much a non-factor. I just don't like them on the front cover.

That said, was the book a CGC book or unslabbed? I say this because, CGC HAS DECIDED for the the COLLECTING community that disclosure of a date stamp is not necessary. So why should the dealer note this unless you specifically asked? Should they disclose that a book has a HUGE printer's crease on the back cover? Or that the back cover is very dirty (yet we know CGC does not seem to take off much if any for this).

Realize, I'm playing devils advocate here.

I would discuss this with the dealer, just so he understands your concerns. Plus, now be aware that you might need to ask if the book has a date stamp (or any writing) on a book.