• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARE THERE ANY PULP COLLECTORS IN THE HOUSE ?

128 posts in this topic

Dang nabbit, IT's STILL NOT HERE!!! Arrgggghhhhhh!!!! Christo_pull_hair.gifsumo.gif

I found the first edition to be very accurate for most books, but fel short for scacer to rare books. As a reference tool, it was indispensible. I believe that current prices have fallen recently on hero books (Shadow, Doc Savage, Avenger, ect) except for first issues and earlier apperances. SciFi titles too have fallen, with possible exception of Astounding's and Amazing Stories but, compared to some Golden Age prices, are extremely economical. thumbsup2.gif

Right now, it's a Buyer's market. Good time to pick some pulps up cheaply!

Now if MY new guide would get here I might have something further to add. I'll try to give everyone a short review of the new guide compared to the first guide when it's here.

I'd recommend this guide to anyone! $40.00 is not all that much, and the information provided is worth the price of addmission!

Why is it that so few pulp collectors, or magazine collectors of any sort, collect the men's adventure/sweat magazines like Stag, Male, Wildcat etc., that were so popular during the fifties and sixties? They had such great bondage and other covers!

Not only are these tough to find in magazine/comic shops, I can't even find any good scans of these on the internet!

Why is it that so few pulp collectors, or magazine collectors of any sort, collect the men's adventure/sweat magazines like Stag, Male, Wildcat etc., that were so popular during the fifties and sixties? They had such great bondage and other covers!

Not only are these tough to find in magazine/comic shops, I can't even find any good scans of these on the internet!

I bought a few of these several years back on ebay when my lowball bids came through. I don't think prices have changed much, but back then you could find memorable covers for $5-$25, the more lurid torture ones running $25-$100, and the occaisonal bidding war pushing an issue with a real twisted cover to $300. Condition played some role in prices, but not a huge one. Wildcat and Man's Book were two titles with their share of great covers.

Stag and Male were usually pretty tame. The most outrageous covers are usually from the early to mid 60s, with a few classic biker/hippie torture covers from the early seventies.

I bought a few of these several years back on ebay when my lowball bids came through. I don't think prices have changed much, but back then you could find memorable covers for $5-$25, the more lurid torture ones running $25-$100, and the occaisonal bidding war pushing an issue with a real twisted cover to $300. Condition played some role in prices, but not a huge one. Wildcat and Man's Book were two titles with their share of great covers.

Stag and Male were usually pretty tame. The most outrageous covers are usually from the early to mid 60s, with a few classic biker/hippie torture covers from the early seventies.

And now with these two recent books, there are a lot of covers available at your fingertips. One of them (can't remember which has a more covers repro than the other)

It's a Man's World

Men's Adventure Magazines

Precodekeith!

You have any scans to share, Hep?

Unfortunately, my entire "collection" of sweats consists of only two issues, one Wildcat and one other. I hope to add to it but I'm a condition fanatic so I suspect the adding will be slow.

Worse yet, there's no colour scanner at the office from where I typically post. I really should buy a Mac and scanner for home - but I find that I just can't resist the offerings of the notorious community of dealers of ancient manuscripts. I keep buying comics and other collectibles, an addiction worse than drugs it seems.

Scrooge!

And now with these two recent books, there are a lot of covers available at your fingertips.

Thank you. I went out at lunch today and bought both books at Pages on Queen St. West in Toronto.

For those interested, the Black Mask KKK issue is up on e-bay.

This is the issue where the writers at Black Mask took a Neutral stance on the KKK.

Each story centered on the KKK. The Mask claimed,

"SOME OF THESE FAVOR THE KLAN-OTHERS ARE STRONGLY AGAINST IT-WE REPEAT, WE ARE ABSOLUTELY NEUTRAL.

(However most see it as one of the most racist issues ever printed, which it probably is) 893whatthe.gif

This book is certainly one of the most infamous Pulps ever!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

935223-5c_1_b.JPG

935223-5c_1_b.JPG.78882d455a6cc1177df2b14a56f49da2.JPG

Giving this thread a little bumpit.gif.

Just got done attending the Windy City Pulp Con here in Chicago. Got to meet Scrooge, Norinn Radd & October 893applaud-thumb.gif and buy a few nice pulps while here. Will post a few scans over the next few days once I've gotten back to the home-base.

hi.gif

It was a very good time! hi.gif

Scrooge found three nice copies of Mysterious Wu Fang. yay.gif I ended up getting two of them (already had the third one. Also bought some nice Planet Comics. cloud9.gif Also ended up with a ten page original artwork story, nothing very special, but the price was right!. acclaim.gif

I'm glad you got your Wu Fangs. 893applaud-thumb.gif So you didn't buy the Kirby piece? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It was fun getting to hang out and talk comics.

I had a great time! thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif I ended up with quite a few pulps and a 10 page original art story, so no Kirby this time.

hi.gif