• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Grader's Comments - Essential Buying Tool?

19 posts in this topic

As an avid collector of high grade silver age books, I note that some sellers enhance their CGC comic descriptions by citing CGC Grader's Comments. I have also noted these comments in some threads on these boards. This seems like a useful buying tool, and perhaps essential for very expensive books.

Are CGC Grader's Comments available? What is the process for getting them?

Regards

Alan (UK)

PS : Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I did ask CGC but no reply.

Hi Alan

Grader's notes are currently only available via telephone from the mouth of the CGC graders themselves. Whether there will be moves to add this information on-line, or to allow the customer service team to access these notes I do not know. It would make sense, as one can only estimate at how much time the graders must lose each day from their grading duties to answer the telephone.

Perhaps it's a welcome diversion from having to grade yet another X-Force #1 Holographic Variant ? confused-smiley-013.gif

With this information being verbal, one should also be careful that unscrupulous sellers do not embellish or falsify the information given. So it's always good to verify the details with CGC themselves if you are ever unsure. thumbsup2.gif

As long as the serial number is available, you can call for the grader's notes. You don't have to be the owner of the book to call.

So you can verify the flaws in the books. Although from my experience the grader's notes can be vague sometimes.

Thank you both for your information.

Do I have to register with CGC to call them for any comments I might want?

In addition to the grade, one of my issues as a buyer is with the CGC label change. On the old system/label, stamps and writing were noted on the label. On the current system/label, they are not. I have noted threads on the boards discussing re-submission of books to get stamps and writing "removed". This is okay if on the covers because I can see the scans. But what about the inside of the book. I would hope that CGC Grader's Comments would note these if present. If this is not the case, then I have to accept the risk that the occasional book may not be what I think it is.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Alan

If they were available online, it would be a huge buying tool to me. As it stands, having to call and get them on a book-by-book basis is tiresome and time consuming. Until they become available on a more "usable" interface, they're only handy to those with the time to do the research.

Brian

No, you do not have to be a Colelctor's Society member to call for grader's notes.

CGC no longer puts notation on the label other than those that affect the stucture of the book. For example "detached centerfold", "detached staple" or "pages missing" These books would receive the green Qualified label, assuming no restoration.

CGC no longer puts notation on the label other than those that affect the stucture of the book.

They also still put notes on the label for interior defects that can't be seen through the holder...don' they? confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC no longer puts notation on the label other than those that affect the stucture of the book.

They also still put notes on the label for interior defects that can't be seen through the holder...don' they? confused-smiley-013.gif

probably, what I was trying to say that if it doesn't affect the structure of the book they won't mention it on the label. Like date stamps on the cover. An interior defect like missing MVS would be noted on the label.

They still put some notes on the cover. I have seen new label books that say "Pre-Marvel chipping", which would be evident by seeing the book.

I really don't know if CGC would say anything about a name or date stamp on the first page.

They still put some notes on the cover. I have seen new label books that say "Pre-Marvel chipping", which would be evident by seeing the book.

I really don't know if CGC would say anything about a name or date stamp on the first page.

Ummm...."Pre-Marvel chipping" affects the structure of the book and would be noted on the label even if it ccan be seen. Again, a date stamp does not affect the structure of the book and to my knowledge has been dropped from the new labels.

Yes, they don't note stamps on the first page which to me seems like an inconsistent policy.

Yes, they don't note stamps on the first page which to me seems like an inconsistent policy.

why would it seem inconsistant? The structure of the book is still intact.

Sometimes, they note stuff inside, sometimes they don't - I can see where you are going and it kinda makes sense to me.

What about writing on the inside of a comic? If someone has scribbled on a page or filled out the coupon, is this noted on the label or recorded in the CGC Grader's Comments? Writing on the cover is not noted on the new label, from a number of books I have seen.

Regards

Alan

You're right. That's not inconsistent.

It's just encouraging resubmission to get a new, notes-free label.

It's also giving an advantage to the dealers, IMO 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The point I was getting at was that some people might not like a Date Stamp on the interior pages, YET, they would NEVER know (unless they cracked the slab) that it was there. Just like CGC does not downgrade for siamese pages, it is noted.

The point I was getting at was that some people might not like a Date Stamp on the interior pages, YET, they would NEVER know (unless they cracked the slab) that it was there. Just like CGC does not downgrade for siamese pages, it is noted.

So if there is a date stamp on the inside of a book and the owner doesn't know it is there, what difference does it make? Siamese pages are a printing defect and should be noted as well as multiple covers. The whole situation is a subjective opinion, and CGC right now is the one whose opinion matters. If they do not wish to disclose an interior date stamp then it won't be on the label. Right or wrong, right now that's the deal.