• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- November 22-24, 2013

212 posts in this topic

Question from a newbie here: How much does it cost to get a CGC Gold Label on a comic? Trying to get some Celeb SS this Saturday.

$28 fee for a modern

$5 invoice fee

Whatever return shipping is, at least $10

Of course this is on top of what ever the celebrity charges for the actual autograph.

I should arrive just after the floor opens. I'll either be in a blue fleece pullover that says Lombardi on the front or wearing a black SDCC shirt. If you see my backpack, it is from an IBM conference in 2007. Definitely stop and say hi.

Looks like it could be a decent dealer floor this year. Rosanski is bringing a version of his SDCC setup, Bedrock is there, Black Cat, Duncanville,Greg Reece. I'll probably hit those booths first.

Disappointed that High Grade and Worldwide aren't here, but should be a much better dealer selection than last year.

No art dealers that I saw . . . :(

They do take cards, I used mine today.

Great first day at the show, other than the weather getting in. It took us about 3 extra hours because long stretches of road were covered in ice and it was treacherous as hell. But we eventually made it. I got all my signatures today, other than one pickup that will happen tomorrow. Spent about half an hour chatting with Nick Pitarra while he knocked out four killer sketches on some MPs for SS. Picked up a grail from Black Cat and a couple of sweet pre-hero Marvels from Bedrock. Got to meet Gsims718 and c-mack, but we were a little too wiped out to make the board meet-up. I'll look forward to meeting some folks tomorrow (after a good night's sleep tonight) so lets post a meeting point/time for tomorrow. Show closes at 7, so that's as good a time as any to meet.

Great meeting everyone today. Got to talk to Trev, Mysterious, Jaster, C-Mack, BCC, bubbagump, and funny books.

Also got to got to pick up a couple books. Had a really good time. Sad I can't go back another day.

Today was fun, but the rain and cold wasn't too pleasant... Still need to head to Black Cat, did some shopping early on today. Tomorrow I brave the Robert Rodriguez and Bruce Campbell lines, and hopefully the Capullo line too.

I'll probably have my Walking Dead shirt and black jeans on for tomorrow, and depending on the weather, a gray hoodie and a leather jacket on top of that... I'm the spoiled Californian having to wear layers of clothing to survive the "frigid" temps. :) See y'all tomorrow!

Standing in line. Glad I got here a little early. Got my ticket on groupon and the groupon counter had no line, but the main entrance is getting packed.

amazon was even faster. vip's kind of got the shaft. I walked straight in bec they sold the fewest tix on amazon local. meanwhile there were some vip's that looked like they would have waited an hour or more to get in.

otoh, they were getting swag too.

Great meeting everyone today. Got to talk to Trev, Mysterious, Jaster, C-Mack, BCC, bubbagump, and funny books.

Also got to got to pick up a couple books. Had a really good time. Sad I can't go back another day.

Great to meet Gsims and c-mack. my main pick ups were a bunch of torch Strange Tales. Got a few from Duncanville and a couple from that guy across from Bedrock.

Lesson i've learned this year between SDCC and here -- if you see someone random being chatted up by dealers and always busy that means there are deals to be had. Spent the last 90 min or so of the show at that guys booth and bought about a dozen books from him.

Was cool to see Greg Reece in person and browse his books. Lots of nice stuff there and a dealer I've never seen since I don't get to east coast shows.

Pick up of the day:

st014_zps1c08576e.jpg

If I had a three day I would structure my time differently, but I definitely had enough with just friday to see all the dealers, find books i wanted, and get deals. spent my whole budget. plus walked artist's alley and talked with Mark Bagley. Capullo got the shaft on table position -- all the way at the back of artists alley. He is literally the last table.

My shop hosting a Neal Adams signing the day before the show helped as I got a better deal there than at the show or SDCC, where I've always avoided Neal because he charges for sigs.

Someone told me Stan sigs were raised to $80 for the show. Crazy. Will never sell my Romita Spidey AE limited edition now. Stan + John sig and a Romita head sketch? That book must be almost $500 now . . .

Back at the hotel for a quick break. The lines to get in are still EPIC. I think there are as many people in the lobby as in the actual show, which is already crowded. Big crowd today.

So far I got a few things signed by Guillory and a few more raws by O'Neil, both of which were very cool. Chatted with Chuck Rozanski, who said he was having a terrible show, but the other dealers I've talked to are happy. I've been taking plenty of photos and will get them posted when I can on Sunday.

For something billed as a comic show, I've never seen so many walking dead 1 show variants getting rolled up, folded, and just destroyed. I find it's funny that people continue to come to "comic cons" and just don't care about comics. In a few years there probably won't be any comics at a wizard "comic con".