• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got to be on the news! With one slight problem...

18 posts in this topic

I run a Halloween costume store and the news guy asked me what had been the hot selling items this year. I told him Avengers, Batman, Ninja Turtles, and super heroes in general. Of all those Ninja Turtles was picked, and they decided to add Big Bird (one I never mentioned). It kind of irked me since I know they are adding Big Bird to politicize it. They even show the Big Bird costume, one I haven't been able to sell!

We did get some free advertising out of it, so I guess its not all bad.

Anyways.... here's the link.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/Business-Picks-Up-From-Last-Minute-Halloween-Shoppers-176677611.html

Cool, but A) How could Big Bird possibly be political? Obviously I'm missing something.

And B) Any relation?

nigel+thornberry+nigel.gif

During a Presidential debate, the President's opponent, used as an example of wasteful government spending, the tax payer funding of PBS, the network that Sesame Street is on. He then followed up by saying he has nothing against Big Bird.

Cool, but A) How could Big Bird possibly be political? Obviously I'm missing something.

During a Presidential debate, the President's opponent, used as an example of wasteful government spending, the tax payer funding of PBS, the network that Sesame Street is on. He then followed up by saying he has nothing against Big Bird.

(thumbs u Thanks.

Glad you made the news, and I hope it generated additional sales.

It never ceases to amaze me how the news is shaped by the talking heads, even at the local level. Their narrative and video should have followed what you told them in the interview.

It never ceases to amaze me how the news is shaped by the talking heads, even at the local level. Their narrative and video should have followed what you told them in the interview.

I stopped watching the local & national news about 3-4 years ago. It has done wonders for my outlook on life :)

I stopped watching the local & national news about 3-4 years ago. It has done wonders for my outlook on life :)

Same here. I've not watched a news program, nor a news channel in almost 3 years and I couldn't be happier about it.

Same here. I've not watched a news program, nor a news channel in almost 3 years and I couldn't be happier about it.

I'm feeling so disenfranchised any more that I wasn't sure I was going to vote. But I did, choosing the dooshbag over the turd sandwich.

I'm feeling so disenfranchised any more that I wasn't sure I was going to vote. But I did, choosing the dooshbag over the turd sandwich.
Who was who? :grin:

We had a local reporter in the store a few years back. She said she wanted to do a story on comics but it quickly became apparent that she wanted to do a scathing piece focused specifically on Warrior Nun Areala and the Catholic church. Every time she steered the questioning to that subject I steered it back to something positive. She became frustrated because she couldn't get a good negative soundbite. No story ever ran. We have gotten in the habit of asking any news people what the real focus of their story is before we put anything on record. If they are going to use us for their content we have the right to control how we are represented.

Who was who? :grin:
It's obvious :shrug: