• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom variant program

861 posts in this topic

My bad. I believe (and you can tell me if I'm wrong) that the Phantom program was started in order to get more exposure to smaller comics/publishers.

Then you started putting out covers for Marvel on larger, more mainstream titles and the mission statement changed. So what is the current mission statement, as I don't think Deadpool needs a bump in readers.

My bad. I believe (and you can tell me if I'm wrong) that the Phantom program was started in order to get more exposure to smaller comics/publishers.

Then you started putting out covers for Marvel on larger, more mainstream titles and the mission statement changed. So what is the current mission statement, as I don't think Deadpool needs a bump in readers.

Any retailer (or group) can make a quick cash grab on a well-known popular title! The Phantom's goal is to support creators and publishers at a level that matters! One issue, if that is what they need, or a dozen if the publisher and creators are up for it! The Phantom Project will only get behind properties they expect to be around for some time!

With all of our support (25 retailers & growing) The Phantom Project hopes to ensure titles get the recognition and sales needed to grow their fan base. Watch for Phantom Project Stores hosting their own signings with Phantom Creators in the coming months!

http://phantomvariant.com/phantomretailers.htm

Yeah; saw that on Phantom's Angelfire website, too. When the program initially strayed from supporting the "little guy" and began doing exactly the opposite of the initial mission statement, Larry expanded the definition.

I was just trying to figure out what that was again, you know, other than a quick cash grab on a well-known popular title.

As a Phantom retailer myself, I look at the program as something that does several things. It brings attention to a bunch of titles that a lot of folks would not have even heard of and also gives the participating retailers something unique. I think if a good opportunity presents itself, why not take it. Spider-Gwen and Silk were hot. Had a ton of buzz. Made sense and a smart move by Larry and those that thought of it. Deadpool is popular...always and will continue to be. This is an issue that has built in buzz so once again, to me it makes sense. This is just my opinion as a participating retailer. Larry and I have never spoken of any of this. I'm happy to have a combo of small tier stuff and home runs.

Any retailer (or group) can make a quick cash grab on a well-known popular title! The Phantom's goal is to support creators and publishers at a level that matters! One issue, if that is what they need, or a dozen if the publisher and creators are up for it! The Phantom Project will only get behind properties they expect to be around for some time!

With all of our support (25 retailers & growing) The Phantom Project hopes to ensure titles get the recognition and sales needed to grow their fan base. Watch for Phantom Project Stores hosting their own signings with Phantom Creators in the coming months!

http://phantomvariant.com/phantomretailers.htm

*SHRUG*

Here are the last six releases...

pETa0A7.jpg

We Can Never go home is the TEXTBOOK definition of the type of book I support. New, Unknown, Indy & Fresh.

Spider-Gwen cover is by Jamie McKelvie. ( Wicked & Divine, Phonogram) I love pairing Indy artists on Mainstream Marvel books.

Sheltered is an Indy book that I supported since #1 with a shop variant & was proud to send Ed & Johnny out with one for their last issue.

Squarriors... Indy pure & simple.

Silk & Deadpool are Cash grabs.

Sorry...

I like cash.

As far as I can tell, Nobody in the industry is commissioning more indy property variants than Phantom.

As a Phantom retailer myself, I look at the program as something that does several things. It brings attention to a bunch of titles that a lot of folks would not have even heard of and also gives the participating retailers something unique. I think if a good opportunity presents itself, why not take it. Spider-Gwen and Silk were hot. Had a ton of buzz. Made sense and a smart move by Larry and those that thought of it. Deadpool is popular...always and will continue to be. This is an issue that has built in buzz so once again, to me it makes sense. This is just my opinion as a participating retailer. Larry and I have never spoken of any of this. I'm happy to have a combo of small tier stuff and home runs.

It makes $en$e, you mean, right?

Not that I blame you folks. Comic book retailing in the end, is about turning a profit. Otherwise, you wont be selling comics.

Just don't dance around it. Call it what it is.

I really don't care if the goal of the Phantom variant program has changed. From supporting Indies to full blown Marvel variants. It doesn't matter to me.

Again, its about telling it how it is. You want to make money. That's the " opportunity presenting itself, and taking it "

I just don't care for the colorful dance-around commentary.

Id rather you guys come out and say something to the effect of:

We are comic retailers trying to make a living. We expanded the phantom variant program beyond small publishers as we see an extra revenue source for us retailers so we can keep our shops open. We will continue to support indie publishers with the Phantom program as well, that has not changed.

Simple. Now go make some money.

No offense but I don't understand why anything needs to be said at all??? Of course the retailers involved want to make a profit. I think having a healthy mix of unknown titles, unknown artists, and mainstream stuff is a good way to bring attention to the brand. I have folks who picked up the mainstream stuff try some of the smaller tier stuff, just based on the brand alone. To me that's great.

It makes $en$e, you mean, right?

Not that I blame you folks. Comic book retailing in the end, is about turning a profit. Otherwise, you wont be selling comics.

Just don't dance around it. Call it what it is.

I really don't care if the goal of the Phantom variant program has changed. From supporting Indies to full blown Marvel variants. It doesn't matter to me.

Again, its about telling it how it is. You want to make money. That's the " opportunity presenting itself, and taking it "

We are comic retailers trying to make a living. We expanded the phantom variant program beyond small publishers as we see an extra revenue source for us retailers so we can keep our shops open. We will continue to support indie publishers with the Phantom program as well, that has not changed.

You're in luck.

Larry did exactly that in the quote above yours. lol

I do not see what the hatred for the Phantom program is. I buy some because I like the cover or artist. I do not buy some because I do not like the cover or artist. There are books people talk about on the forums that I do not go into (the threads) because do not care for the books. I do not go on and bash them because I have a difference of opinion on them. I just do not get it nor see the need for it. This thread is about the phantom variants. Why go into the thread to bash or insult?

I don't care if people want to make money; everyone wants to make money. But hiding this variant program behind "helping the little guy" -- either smaller titles, artists, and/or retailer B&M shops (one of the reasons previously given for teaming up with Marvel) is pure BS. Just say what it is: a way for Larry and a few of his close friends/retailers to make money.

Essentially this whole thread is a giant advertising/selling thread; no one else is allowed to do that here.

We have Larry posting a preview of his latest Deadpool variant cover. About an hour later there is a single seller on eBay with a listing for this issue. Well guess who that is? "Mrs". Larry of course, and "blowing out" those copies at $40 per and over 100 copies in stock. And I'm pretty sure when that number hits 0 it will come back with another 100, perhaps with a raised price.

And Larry's post about "only" ordering 3000 is another transparent way to drub up sales since the print run is sooooo low you have to get them now now now.

How does this help B&M stores (other Phantom shops) if Larry pre-sells the Phantoms a week before they are released, allowing people that want them to buy them immediately and NOT have to go to a store to buy them?

rantrant

I don't care if people want to make money; everyone wants to make money. But hiding this variant program behind "helping the little guy" -- either smaller titles, artists, and/or retailer B&M shops (one of the reasons previously given for teaming up with Marvel) is pure BS. Just say what it is: a way for Larry and a few of his close friends/retailers to make money.

Essentially this whole thread is a giant advertising/selling thread; no one else is allowed to do that here.

We have Larry posting a preview of his latest Deadpool variant cover. About an hour later there is a single seller on eBay with a listing for this issue. Well guess who that is? "Mrs". Larry of course, and "blowing out" those copies at $40 per and over 100 copies in stock. And I'm pretty sure when that number hits 0 it will come back with another 100, perhaps with a raised price.

And Larry's post about "only" ordering 3000 is another transparent way to drub up sales since the print run is sooooo low you have to get them now now now.

How does this help B&M stores (other Phantom shops) if Larry pre-sells the Phantoms a week before they are released, allowing people that want them to buy them immediately and NOT have to go to a store to buy them?

rantrant

:popcorn:

My favorite part of the thread was the other well respected retailed that came to Larry's defense. This might be the Friday thread I'm looking for :headbang:

rantrant

So you would have no reason to complain if they appeared online the same day they were available in the store? Somehow I still think you would have issues with the program.

rantrant

Adding to your thoughts I would ask is there standard pricing on all phantom variants, or are arbitrary prices assigned to each book based on how popular desirable they may be? And how is the pricing factored?

So you would have no reason to complain if they appeared online the same day they were available in the store? Somehow I still think you would have issues with the program.

In the end, no one can tell Larry (or anyone) how to run their business -- apart from maybe those that are giving them money for a product (i.e. the market).

I was commenting on the shifting focus of the program as it quickly stretched beyond its initial intentions and still tries to say it's not about the money.

This time (Deadpool) it was an obvious sales/advertising thread as the only one with access and with a listing was/is Larry. In other cases pre-sellers may get bit if they can't cover orders; however, that's not the case when you are printing the items yourself.

But it doesn't matter what I think; people are still plunking down $40 for that issue (up to 77 sold now). I just wonder how many of the other Phantom shops he is taking sales away from since they really won't see sales until Wednesday.

Not to mention being the only game in town right now and quadrupling the cover price (again, on an item he creates).

lol. I never came to Larry's defense. Larry and I have never even personally met. I am a member of the program and think he does a pretty decent job at running it. He does not need me to vouch for him. I read the last few posts in the thread and thought that folks were bashing it just to bash it. I offered my opinion of what the program is and represents...to me, my shop, and my customers. That is all. It's amazing how unfriendly some of you guys are here. So quick to pick fights and start Internet drama over nothing at all.....holy Christ...

rantrant

:popcorn:

My favorite part of the thread was the other well respected retailed that came to Larry's defense. This might be the Friday thread I'm looking for :headbang:

lol. I never came to Larry's defense. Larry and I have never even personally met. I am a member of the program and think he does a pretty decent job at running it. He does not need me to vouch for him. I read the last few posts in the thread and thought that folks were bashing it just to bash it. I offered my opinion of what the program is and represents...to me, my shop, and my customers. That is all. It's amazing how unfriendly some of you guys are here. So quick to pick fights and start Internet drama over nothing at all…..holy Christ...

WTTB (thumbs u